What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I had not done was try Adaptive QOS using the current stock firmware. I just did a factory reset on stock firmware and Adaptive QOS works as expected. Now back to Merlin to see what happens.

EDIT to specify the stock firmware version I tested with was ASUS RT-AX3000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.8591 (2020/03/25).

Last edited:
The one thing I had not done was try Adaptive QOS using the current stock firmware. I just did a factory reset on stock firmware and Adaptive QOS works as expected. Now back to Merlin to see what happens.
Please report what happens? If going to Merlin after latest stock does help or not?

Please report what happens? If going to Merlin after latest stock does help or not?

Just got to that point.

I reinstalled the Merlin 384.16_beta3 firmware -> restored to Factory default -> turned power off for 5 minutes -> turned on Adaptive QOS -> rebooted -> waited 10 minutes.

At that point I did a speed test and it completely ignored my bandwidth settings and maxed out the connection. It seems there is something awry with Adaptive QOS for this new model right now. At least as it is currently shipping (I received this device on Wednesday, April 1, 2020).

Last edited:
Just got to that point.

I reinstalled the Merlin 384.16_beta3 firmware -> restored to Factory default -> turned power off for 5 minutes -> turned on Adaptive QOS -> rebooted -> waited 10 minutes.

At that point I did a speed test and it completely ignored my bandwidth settings and maxed out the connection. It seems there is something awry with Adaptive QOS for this new model right now. At least as it is currently shipping (I received this device on Wednesday, April 1, 2020).
has been like this for some time. it's close source and so merlin will have to wait for update from Asus to address the issue.
does seem to be fixed in Asus's latest official firmware, so wont be long :)

has been like this for some time. it's close source and so merlin will have to wait for update from Asus to address the issue.
does seem to be fixed in Asus's latest official firmware, so wont be long :)

I guess I was not aware, because everything kept ticking along fine in the latest version available for the RT-AC3200.

Did you format the JFFS partion after you did a factory reset? If not try to do this under: Administration - System - Format JFFS partition at next boot - Yes
Yes I formatted jffs partition after factory reset.I cam try doing it again.

Last @FreshJR post was on June 30, 2019.
It was last seen on this forum precisely on June 30, 2019. It was an abrupt exit.

I'm wondering if something really bad had happened with this guy :(
I never noticed I was the last one to talk with him. :eek: Hope everything is OK with him but the longer it goes with no activity people will assume the worst. :( Hope all is well and he's taking a much needed break from Merlin.

Last @FreshJR post was on June 30, 2019.
It was last seen on this forum precisely on June 30, 2019. It was an abrupt exit.

I'm wondering if something really bad had happened with this guy :(
I remember reading that he said he was working on a home automation project,and I think I remember he said he was doing a degree or something, so I'm sure he's probably busy with all that and hasn't has time to be here.

I remember reading that he said he was working on a home automation project,and I think I remember he said he was doing a degree or something, so I'm sure he's probably busy with all that and hasn't has time to be here.
Let's hope is that.
But I think he'd probably get here and say that he has no time, or at least come to the forum.
If you watch his profile, it says that the last time online was precisely when he replied the last time on this thread. And it was a regular answer, like if he would come here next day again. But suddenly he disappeared.
I'm expecting the worst, but.... :(

Let's hope is that.
But I think he'd probably get here and say that he has no time, or at least come to the forum.
If you watch his profile, it says that the last time online was precisely when he replied the last time on this thread. And it was a regular answer, like if he would come here next day again. But suddenly he disappeared.

I seem to remember he greatly updated his internet speed, so he no longer needed QOS--much less his own script. Maybe just lost interest?

I seem to remember he greatly updated his internet speed, so he no longer needed QOS--much less his own script. Maybe just lost interest?
Even if he had lost interest, he was talking about releasing soon a new version he was working on.
Also, as I said, even if he had lost is interest, he would come back to forum even if he didn't answer to anyone...
But no, he wrote a regular answer to a user and then... Never came back again.
I'm fearing for the worst.

Does anyone know personally this guy?! Is everything ok with him??

All,

Yes it's unfortunate that he left but let's be thankful that the FreshJR Adaptive QoS script still works GREAT with no major issues.

My AC86U w/ Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 is still fully functional with the latest version of the Adaptive QoS script (8.8 I believe).
I made some personal tweaks to the script which I described earlier in this thread.
The only significant "issue" IMO (with the script version 8.8) is the lack of full-fledged IPv6 support.
However, my ISP's IPv6 support isn't amazing so I have it disabled on my router.

Just because he doesn't post in this forum anymore doesn't mean something bad happened to him.

Let's hope is that.
If you have the time to dig through the old posts he does mention his home automation project and a bit more about a course, if I remember correctly, I tried to lodge an issue on his GitHub in regards to the QoS update, with the new categories.

Also if I remember correctly he was having trouble with IPv6 traffic so maybe he been working on the script all this time especially with IPv6 or for all we know he has a wife and kids now.

And look to be honest for all we know he is probably taking a much needed break form the project I'm sure it would have been giving him lots of stress and he needed a break to clear his head.

I only limit certain devices download and upload via bandwidth limiter.

Is your script better for this and will it work on upload bandwidth limiter when using with VPN Client (currently in QOS upload limiter breaks when using VPN Client)

I only limit certain devices download and upload via bandwidth limiter.

Is your script better for this and will it work on upload bandwidth limiter when using with VPN Client (currently in QOS upload limiter breaks when using VPN Client)
The script only works with adaptive QoS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!