What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The script only works with adaptive QoS.

Ah crap, was hoping to find a custom script for bandwidth limiting on specific devices.

Know of any scripts bouncing around?

Currently using 384.5 version in my AC86u, and wanting to update my router with freshJR's newest update. (I've been using an old version for about 2 years)

What would be the best choice for firmware version to use this on? My current 384.5? Or 384.9 where freshJR tested this on? Or newest version which is 384.16?

You're waiting much too long to update your router. :)

RMerlin 384.16_0 release final is calling. :)

I would recommend flashing this version and then following the M&M Config and possibly the Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature below.

With the latest RMerlin versions past 384.15_0, amtm by @thelonelycoder is included and is now the official way to install Entware and the many amtm and other supported scripts.

If you have any interest in exploring those scripts after properly installing 384.16_0, the following link may be useful too (but just ignore the part about installing amtm, it will be already installed on the router with the firmware).

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

I was setting up router after reset, and questiona came to me:
-what's the difference between AppDB and Rule, only that rule is more specific than just QoS mark?
-I can only setup 3 rules and 3 appdb, or is it possible to setup more?

I'm currently using Rules, and was wondering to use a couple more than just the 3 showed

I was setting up router after reset, and questiona came to me:
-what's the difference between AppDB and Rule, only that rule is more specific than just QoS mark?
-I can only setup 3 rules and 3 appdb, or is it possible to setup more?

I'm currently using Rules, and was wondering to use a couple more than just the 3 showed
For me the AppDB portion didn't work and was the last thing @FreshJR was looking into.

I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me with my Usenet traffic which is being classed into NNTP category?

I can see it coming in on Port 119 and I have the default rule which is Port 119 and 563 to be classified as "File Downloads" but when I monitor my traffic live my Usenet is getting marked as NNTP and absolutely choking my entire network.

This is a grab of my Usenet traffic and sorry in advance I am brand new to QoS and networking, I've done a fair bit of Googling and I have since IPv6 can be a cause, no idea how to work out if I'm using that though.
WJVcjHh

xIhbq5B

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-12 223357.png
    Annotation 2020-04-12 223357.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 164
I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me with my Usenet traffic which is being classed into NNTP category?

I can see it coming in on Port 119 and I have the default rule which is Port 119 and 563 to be classified as "File Downloads" but when I monitor my traffic live my Usenet is getting marked as NNTP and absolutely choking my entire network.

This is a grab of my Usenet traffic and sorry in advance I am brand new to QoS and networking, I've done a fair bit of Googling and I have since IPv6 can be a cause, no idea how to work out if I'm using that though.
WJVcjHh

xIhbq5B
Show us the rules you tweaked at the top of the page so we can verify them.

Maybe AppDB Redirection is taking precedence over Iptable Rules.

So somehow make AppDB NNTP map to File Downloads.

Edit: It looks easy to do in the command line interface

Last edited:
Show us the rules you tweaked at the top of the page so we can verify them.

Ok, they are all default except the bottom one which I added to make my PC considered a gaming device (yes this is the device I'm having issues on). Also the default rules are greyed out and I can't edit them, is that normal?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-13 093234.png
    Annotation 2020-04-13 093234.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 175
Ok, they are all default except the bottom one which I added to make my PC considered a gaming device (yes this is the device I'm having issues on). Also the default rules are greyed out and I can't edit them, is that normal?
Looks good for the most part. Change the protocol to "Both", apply, and wait 5 mins to see if it starts showing as it should.

Looks good for the most part. Change the protocol to "Both", apply, and wait 5 mins to see if it starts showing as it should.

Ok thanks, again just to highlight I am not able to edit any of the original rules and I can't even change the protocol to apply to "Both" for the 119 and 563 rule. I've had to create a new rule which is essentially a duplicate of the existing default rule and configure that to both so it looks like what I've attached. This seems doesn't seem like correct behaviour can anyone else confirm if their default rules are locked?

Update: Ok so adding that second rule worked and it's now being classed as File Transfer so thank you! Now I am worried these greyed out default rules aren't being applied at all...o_O

Attachments

• duplicate iptable rules.png
    duplicate iptable rules.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 208
Ok thanks, again just to highlight I am not able to edit any of the original rules and I can't even change the protocol to apply to "Both" for the 119 and 563 rule. I've had to create a new rule which is essentially a duplicate of the existing default rule and configure that to both so it looks like what I've attached. This seems doesn't seem like correct behaviour can anyone else confirm if their default rules are locked?

Update: Ok so adding that second rule worked and it's now being classed as File Transfer so thank you! Now I am worried these greyed out default rules aren't being applied at all...o_O
Change the protocol for the custom gaming rule to "Both". See below...each one of mine has Protocol filled out. Yours is blank.

upload_2020-4-12_20-26-7.png

@Meulsie if you have a screenshot already, delete the greyed out ones and create them properly as @QuikSilver suggests.

Also the "default" rule and yours aren't the same. The default is set to only tag TCP 119, 563 to File downloads, whereas yours is set for "Both: (TCP AND UDP) for 119, 563 to File Downloads. You can edit those default rules but you'd have to do it directly and not through the webpage.

Change the protocol for the custom gaming rule to "Both". See below...each one of mine has Protocol filled out. Yours is blank.

View attachment 22610
Ah I'm with you thanks!

Also the "default" rule and yours aren't the same. The default is set to only tag TCP 119, 563 to File downloads, whereas yours is set for "Both: (TCP AND UDP) for 119, 563 to File Downloads. You can edit those default rules but you'd have to do it directly and not through the webpage.

Gotcha, and I understood that the difference in the rule was the default is marked as TCP traffic whereas my custom one was marked as both. What was confusing me is the Usenet traffic coming in was marked as "TCP" so the default rule should have been applying regardless.

@Meulsie if you have a screenshot already, delete the greyed out ones and create them properly as @QuikSilver suggests.

Cheers mate, I don't see any delete button though for the default rules. If I recreate them all and essentially double up would that cause unnecessary load on the router by possibly performing the same rule twice?

@QuikSilver, are you able to answer the question directed to me? :)

Sorry, I don't use this section of the router often, if ever. :)

Re-reading the FAQ I think if it hits one rule then it won't hit any others. I'm guessing to actually delete the defaults I'd have to do it via terminal and I'm not confident on the commands.

4) In what order do custom rules take precedence?

Rule on top of this list override rules towards bottom of this list

Iptable -- 4th position
Iptable -- 3rd position
Iptable -- 2nd position
Iptable -- 1rst position
Iptable hardcoded
Appdb -- 4th position
Appdb -- 3rd position
Appdb -- 2nd position
Appdb -- 1rst position
Appdb hardcoded

Regardless my main issue is now resolved, thanks all :)

It’s “fun” to check the byte and packet counts running this command in ssh:
Code:
watch iptables -t mangle -nvL POSTROUTING

Ah I'm with you thanks!

Gotcha, and I understood that the difference in the rule was the default is marked as TCP traffic whereas my custom one was marked as both. What was confusing me is the Usenet traffic coming in was marked as "TCP" so the default rule should have been applying regardless.

Cheers mate, I don't see any delete button though for the default rules. If I recreate them all and essentially double up would that cause unnecessary load on the router by possibly performing the same rule twice?
See my last sentence regarding the custom rules.
"You can edit those default rules but you'd have to do it directly and not through the webpage."

Using WinSCP edit the "Fresh_QOS file" located under /jffs/scripts/. Its not for the faint of heart though. I'd suggest backing up your working old file just in case.

Sure can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!