What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not an issue it requires a lot of cpu to perform those tasks at that speed. What you could do is keep bringing your upload and download down until its leaving some cpu cycles and not riding at 100%. in all honesty 1gbps is insane an not needed unless its critical to download large work related stuff or movies instantly. by bringing it down u may not utilize you full speeds but it will be able to manage it properly with the smoothness of a babys bum! haha

If it were me that's what I would do.. try 500up 500down and see how that works

bare in mine the internet right now is badly jammed and there are widescale internet pauses for a few secs here and there that nothing you can do will fix until people back to school work etc.

Thanks for the tips, this has been a learning experience, this router is so cpu bound I turned off qos, uninstalled
freshjr as well.

By disabling these 2 services I posted earlier

adaptive qos->bandwidth monitor->App analysis,
traffic analyzer->Statistics-> traffic analyzer -statistic

and reverting my firmware to 384.15 from 384.16 from the other thread I seemed to have gotten rid of all 100% cpu spikes i was having even before the QoS setup I experimented with. Highest % cpu I'm getting now is 80% on 1 core, while the other is at 25%. I'd bet without those cpu spikes Skype should not have the original issue anymore, loosing shared screen or robot sounding audio. I have also tested streaming 4k and amazon music simultaneously with no issue now. Even dslreports.com/speedtest stress testing affected only 1 cpu core now, 75% while the other cpu core was not affected. overall grade was A, bufferbloat was b, but you can't tell from using the networking services.

In the future I'll have to pay close attention what features I turn on this router and it's impact to cpu.
I'm happy with result now.

Thanks
/Pierre

Thanks for the tips, this has been a learning experience, this router is so cpu bound I turned off qos, uninstalled
freshjr as well.

By disabling these 2 services I posted earlier

adaptive qos->bandwidth monitor->App analysis,
traffic analyzer->Statistics-> traffic analyzer -statistic

and reverting my firmware to 384.15 from 384.16 from the other thread I seemed to have gotten rid of all 100% cpu spikes i was having even before the QoS setup I experimented with. Highest % cpu I'm getting now is 80% on 1 core, while the other is at 25%. I'd bet without those cpu spikes Skype should not have the original issue anymore, loosing shared screen or robot sounding audio. I have also tested streaming 4k and amazon music simultaneously with no issue now. Even dslreports.com/speedtest stress testing affected only 1 cpu core now, 75% while the other cpu core was not affected. overall grade was A, bufferbloat was b, but you can't tell from using the networking services.

In the future I'll have to pay close attention what features I turn on this router and it's impact to cpu.
I'm happy with result now.

Thanks
/Pierre
that was gonna be suggestion B and just turn it off. but if lots of household downloads become a lag issue qos is the only way to fix it and youll have to choke it down till yur not cpu bound. have fun :)

freshjr as well.

Yeah, with 800+ mpbs inbound and outbound, there shouldn't be any need for QOS unless you are using bit torrent and not managing torrent bandwidth utilization in the app. More generally though, it is better to leave router features disabled if they are not consistently being used.

For me the AppDB portion didn't work and was the last thing @FreshJR was looking into.
There is a simple fix available to make the Fresh webui show the AppDB redirection in the proper category.

I've sent a PR to Fresh_JR, but you can also download the updated asp page from my fork:
Code:
curl -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp
The redirected categories will appear with a tilde after the name to differentiate from a normal one, it seems. I tested that the redirection was actually in place in tc, but the UI was not picking up the rule correctly to redraw the categories.
upload_2020-4-24_16-6-20.png

There is a simple fix available to make the Fresh webui show the AppDB redirection in the proper category.

I've sent a PR to Fresh_JR, but you can also download the updated asp page from my fork:
Code:
curl -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp
The redirected categories will appear with a tilde after the name to differentiate from a normal one, it seems. I tested that the redirection was actually in place in tc, but the UI was not picking up the rule correctly to redraw the categories.
View attachment 23025
As probable Freshjr won't come back again.... I dare you to use that fork and be the next mantainer of this script. What do you say? :)

Edit:
@dave14305, cc @thelonelycoder
It's your call!
https://github.com/decoderman/amtm/pull/10

Last edited:
As probable Freshjr won't come back again.... I dare you to use that fork and be the next mantainer of this script. What do you say? :)
I would prefer it a community effort and I will maintain the repo, if enough interest or change is necessary. I don’t know enough yet about QoS or tc, so I am not sure how much I could do on my own.

Let’s see what happens. Maybe Fresh will come back. John did. :)

I would prefer it a community effort and I will maintain the repo, if enough interest or change is necessary. I don’t know enough yet about QoS or tc, so I am not sure how much I could do on my own.

Let’s see what happens. Maybe Fresh will come back. John did. :)
Let's hope so... But while not, I challenge you!
Qos will need some rewrite I think, due to new categories in new firmware. For now, as we don't have already the source code, it's not on Merlin... But it'll be in the near future. We have to be ready!

While you learn qos specific things, you could just clean the script itself, it has some bugs in menus... Etc etc.. for example, custom rules names are lost when updating script; some menus gets crazy when changing some parameters on ssh, etc...well, bash :)
See my last post edit :)

Edit:
@dave14305, cc @thelonelycoder
It's your call!
https://github.com/decoderman/amtm/pull/10
Why asking for a pull request for amtm when @dave14305 ’s pull requesr has not been pulled?
If I were Dave, I’d wait a few days and if no answer is received from FreshJR then would ask to change the repo and new maintainer in amtm.

Why asking for a pull request for amtm when @dave14305 ’s pull requesr has not been pulled?
If I were Dave, I’d wait a few days and if no answer is received from FreshJR then would ask to change the repo and new maintainer in amtm.
Just to make pressure, I know Dave can do it :)
That's why I pinged you here, just to know what's going on, waiting for Dave's ok :)

What's the triple dog think guys?
Remember I'm non native English speaker :D

Let's hope so... But while not, I challenge you!
Qos will need some rewrite I think, due to new categories in new firmware. For now, as we don't have already the source code, it's not on Merlin... But it'll be in the near future. We have to be ready!

While you learn qos specific things, you could just clean the script itself, it has some bugs in menus... Etc etc.. for example, custom rules names are lost when updating script; some menus gets crazy when changing some parameters on ssh, etc...well, bash :)
See my last post edit :)
I know FreshJR had some unique standards for how he coded the terminal sequences, and I'm not much of a terminal coder. I'd welcome the rest of the community to point out issues or simplifications. If we don't get any feedback from Fresh, I would propose to adapt the UI to the new Addon API and add a table of rows for rules, similar to DNS Privacy, DHCP reservations, etc. I would also propose to make it a separate page from Merlin's original Classification page, to minimize the number of bind mounts of ROM pages.

I'm only prepared to make general changes to the structure of the page/script. I don't game, so I don't plan to entertain complaints from gamers who are sad because of their ping times (apologies in advance if you're a gamer who whines about ping times :p).

Yet I still get waaaayyy ahead of myself. It's daunting to try to improve someone else's code when they're not around to explain their choices. Hence my encouragement for community involvement (pull requests!).

Just to make pressure, I know Dave can do it :)
That's why I pinged you here, just to know what's going on, waiting for Dave's ok :)

What's the triple dog think guys?
Remember I'm non native English speaker :D
While we're at it, I don't want to be tormented by yet another non-native English speaker with a scary clown avatar! :eek:
;)

While we're at it, I don't want to be tormented by yet another non-native English speaker with a scary clown avatar! :eek:
;)
And I’m tired of absent coders not even taking the time to say what’s what.

Personally I think its morally questionable to be modifying his work for the public. At a minimun id be linking his name as well so he can later follow whats transpired here at a minimum.

also I just took a look... you've changed shapchat to list as being in others now while the actual data is being redirected to Voip via the script @thelonelycoder

@thelonelycoder lines 1708-1712 needs to read...
Code:
</tr>
            <td>Snapchat </td>
            <td><input type="text" class="input_6_table" maxlength="6"  style="background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); cursor:default"  value="00006B"></td>
            <td><select class="input_option" style="width:125px; font-size:11.5px; margin-left:-5px; background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); cursor:default" readonly"><option>VoIP</option></select></td>
        </tr>

actually -1 on those lines.. I added a note at the top =p

Last edited:
@thelonelycoder lines 1708-1712 needs to read...
Code:
</tr>
            <td>Snapchat </td>
            <td><input type="text" class="input_6_table" maxlength="6"  style="background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); cursor:default"  value="00006B"></td>
            <td><select class="input_option" style="width:125px; font-size:11.5px; margin-left:-5px; background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); cursor:default" readonly"><option>VoIP</option></select></td>
        </tr>

actually -1 on those lines.. I added a note at the top =p
You’re barking up the wrong tree.

I don't game, so I don't plan to entertain complaints from gamers who are sad because of their ping times (apologies in advance if you're a gamer who whines about ping times :p).

You just broke a gamers heart :) but honestly the current gaming rule, I believe works really well. I'll just be thankful if the script gets updated either way! Specially since Asus recently make changes as well to their QoS rules and maybe all can be meshed together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!