What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
do

you know the port number?
Yes, OpenVPN port is 1194, and the router's port I can find it out, but it seems that it changes each time when the TUN/OpenVPN connects... I've tried few times to connect/disconnect the VPN, and the reported ports were 51599, 35977, 42395...

just need the vpn port number or numbers or the port range they use for a custom rule.

just need the vpn port number or numbers or the port range they use for a custom rule.
Unfortunately, I am just a user and not a developer, therefore my initial question here whether is possible and if yes then how it can be done (i.e. add it as an option or feature to the existing script or in some other way so I can configure/run it on this router).
I think that there are several other users which would like to have such adaptive QoS on the VPN tunnel...

Yes custom rules can be made in the script

Any idea how to make the (adaptive) QoS working for the traffic routed through the TUN Interface? All my router clients connect using OpenVPN (TUN Interface), none of them are connecting directly to Internet/WAN.
Thank you!
Not entirely sure it's possible, since the traffic is encrypted and sent via the tunnel, and either bypasses QoS or QoS cannot decrypt the traffic to classify it.

Not entirely sure it's possible, since the traffic is encrypted and sent via the tunnel, and either bypasses QoS or QoS cannot decrypt the traffic to classify it.
maybe, can it be done before the encrypting kicks in?...

maybe, can it be done before the encrypting kicks in?...
No it can't it has to be decrypted, in order to see the traffic, I which it would be able to just see the traffic.

No it can't it has to be decrypted, in order to see the traffic, I which it would be able to just see the traffic.
I am not a dev, but I think the router and its firmware can already see the traffic before it's being sent to the OpenVPNclient where is being encrypted/decrypted, so, the router should be capable to apply QoS on the traffic before is being send to the OpenVPN client... (It must be possible, as it is already possible in other firmwares, i.e. Lede).
Besides, the router can already show all the running services/protocols and the transferred data in its statistics, so that means QoS can be applied on that traffic before the TUN interface (before the OpenVPN and its encryption/decryption).

I am not a dev, but I think the router and its firmware can already see the traffic before it's being sent to the OpenVPNclient where is being encrypted/decrypted, so, the router should be capable to apply QoS on the traffic before is being send to the OpenVPN client... (It must be possible, as it is already possible in other firmwares, i.e. Lede).
Besides, the router can already show all the running services/protocols and the transferred data in its statistics, so that means QoS can be applied on that traffic before the TUN interface (before the OpenVPN and its encryption/decryption).
You'd have to ask asus, since the trend micro engines is closed source.

I'd ask them to look into it mabye they can convince trend to try

I wonder if the script needs an up date due to the major changes in qos on 382 beta, possibly some minor tweaks, ill have to re load the script cause I factor reset my 88u.
tried reloading the script seems the folder structure has changed in the 382 update, hmmm this is interesting.

Last edited:
I wonder if the script needs an up date due to the major changes in qos on 382 beta, possibly some minor tweaks, ill have to re load the script cause I factor reset my 88u.
tried reloading the script seems the folder structure has changed in the 382 update, hmmm this is interesting.
Good luck, lets us know how it goes. I have updated my 88U to 382 beta 2 and disabled the script for now.

bad news the script doesn't work correctly these are the errors from the log fresh needs to look at it, seems like it needs an update to work on 382.

kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3335] Failed to find app info entry (5-4-132)!
Nov 1 16:23:46 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!
Nov 1 16:23:46 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!
kernel: dhd_prot_ioctl: status ret value is -17

Am I right in thinking the script does now work ok with wiki calling (I'm using vodafone uk, iOS 11)? Similarly facetime?
I can see the custom rules in the script which should move traffic into the right container, but need to verify (I'll disable QOS temporarily) as getting some glitches with facetime, and drops on wifi calling that arent explained by general router performance issues (220/21 connection) - unlikely as occurs with near zero traffic, just need to rule out... !

Am I right in thinking the script does now work ok with wiki calling (I'm using vodafone uk, iOS 11)? Similarly facetime?
I can see the custom rules in the script which should move traffic into the right container, but need to verify (I'll disable QOS temporarily) as getting some glitches with facetime, and drops on wifi calling that arent explained by general router performance issues (220/21 connection) - unlikely as occurs with near zero traffic, just need to rule out... !
which router and what firmware version?

Not yet. I'll have to do some googling for vodafone UK to check, but believe it's UDP 500/4500 which are covered in the script. I may need to do some wiresharking to check. Was just an initial Q really - I don't expect it's the QOS.. but I need to try and pin down. Could also be something simple like AP roaming between bands though I'd have thought that to cause a fraction of a second stutter not a drop (and is a topic for another thread...)

Not yet. I'll have to do some googling for vodafone UK to check, but believe it's UDP 500/4500 which are covered in the script. I may need to do some wiresharking to check. Was just an initial Q really - I don't expect it's the QOS.. but I need to try and pin down. Could also be something simple like AP roaming between bands though I'd have thought that to cause a fraction of a second stutter not a drop (and is a topic for another thread...)
check wifi channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!