What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Hope your all well :)

I signed up today as i have an Asus RT-AC5300 and want the QoS to work better.

We have 2 adults and 2 kids using the network and we game a lot and watch video streams on pads/BT TV sport etc.

If i use the linked info on page 1 to install the QoS rules from here is this a good setup for our needs?

From what i understand the Asus Adaptive QoS as it stands has flaws.

all advice and help welcomed, im of decent knowledge but a little green to this so please bare with me :)

ok i have gone through the first post and installed everything, seems to have gone smoothly.

Does this look about right for this page?

9bZ11pz.png

Then the following, it did hit 354ms ping on the upstream at one very quick point.

32619130.png

before i was on a c for buffer float, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
This seems to have introduced packet loss on BF1, it was severe tonight and something i had not seen before trying this out?

No, use fq-codel.

I also recommend the "Customize" list so you can see your priorities instead of trusting ASUS presents. Any QOS presets for the most part have proven terrible).

Atomic7431 said:
This seems to have introduced packet loss on BF1

Already covered in the first post.

BF1 is probably "Unidentified" so it would go "Default" without the script.
With the script, "Unidentified" goes to WebUI adjustable "Others".

I am willing to bet that the "Gaming" Asus present still has "Others" beneath "Web Surfing, File Downloads, and Streaming", so moving it from "Default" -> "Others" in your scenario did not make a difference. (There is a reason I made unidentified traffic adjustable and that reason was explained in depth in the first post!!)

Anyway, just to be clear, having "Others" so low, means your unidentified "gaming + whatever" traffic has worse priority than "Web Surfing, File Downloads, and Streaming"

I personally keep "Others" above "Web Surfing".

Additionally, if you open the script, you will see a gaming rule that you can setup to start routing "unidentified traffic" for user defined "gaming only" devices into "Gaming" instead of "Others".

I will add to the first post my recommended order of catagories, and some more instructions. (Issue is I am out of characters, will have to continue in another post).

Fresh Recommended (User specific needs may vary so use this as base and adjust as necessary depending on how it behaves in your environment)

Code:
VOIP    
Gaming  
Others  
Web      
Streaming
Downloads

Last edited:
Hey 1st id suggest you lower your upload/download to 5-10% lower that the dsl reports numbers you achieve. Also be sure to run dsl with qos off to determine what speeds your capable of then set yours lower. Next for the most part video gets catagorized under video and most games will be thrown into OTHER which you should move up to posibly the top. Settings id suggest without knowing all your usage:

Voip
Other
Web
Video
Gaming
Downloads

I assumed you pc gaming i just realized. If its console you maybe need to swap other/gaming and go with the gaming settings. Either will be a good starting point. Then youll need to play around to deternine if your gaming is going into the correct category at a high priority. But theres a learning curve on that and should come after.

*edit*
Also as fresh posted while i was typing this use fq_codel as its better designed to prioritze smaller packets 1st like those used in gaming.

Hello all,

Hope your all well :)

I signed up today as i have an Asus RT-AC5300 and want the QoS to work better.

We have 2 adults and 2 kids using the network and we game a lot and watch video streams on pads/BT TV sport etc.

If i use the linked info on page 1 to install the QoS rules from here is this a good setup for our needs?

From what i understand the Asus Adaptive QoS as it stands has flaws.

all advice and help welcomed, im of decent knowledge but a little green to this so please bare with me :)

ok i have gone through the first post and installed everything, seems to have gone smoothly.

9bZ11pz.png

Then the following, it did hit 354ms ping on the upstream at one very quick point.

32619130.png

before i was on a c for buffer float, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see some examples of the catagories setup for certain preference likes. For instance show the order for Gaming or Voip or Video etc.
My settings are:
Video
Others
Gaming
Web
File
Voip
They are arranged this way as needed for streaming. All I do is stream. Some PC gaming.

I couldnt imgine ever setting streaming or downloads to the top as they are the bandwidth hogs in the 1st place. Unless your internet package is just enough for only your streaming needs its those that need to be lowered and controlled to other things are usable as well at the same time

Everything works fine for me and streaming is excellent with no buffering ever always 1080p or 4k I love it. You can download you can surf the net you can game its all good. Don't be scared :rolleyes:

Well the only benefit i see is reduced bufferbloat from the qos settings itself as video and download will always gladly use more than your entire bandwidth with or without qos

Well the only benefit i see is reduced bufferbloat from the qos settings itself as video and download will always gladly use more than your entire bandwidth with or without qos
I respectfully disagree my friend.:p

Since video and downloads are not at all ping sensitive youve really just reduced your max bandwith only sligjtly improving web browsing etc due to reduced bufferbloat

Ok thanks for the help on this once the kids have gone bed i can change the settings and apply and restart the router and see how it goes.
Gaming for me is pc and kids are on PS4s
wife on tablet reading news mainly
We do have youtube on and both tvs using iptv but not all at once :)

Ok so try the 1st suggestion with others high. The will most likly fix up the pc gaming. As for the kids console it may work out well as well. Not sure what games theyre pkaying. If theyre okaying call of duty thats timing sensitive u may want to move gaming up a bit. Its its just minecraft etc itll prolly be fine down low. Try it anyway and blast us with the results :)

Ok thanks for the help on this once the kids have gone bed i can change the settings and apply and restart the router and see how it goes.
Gaming for me is pc and kids are on PS4s
wife on tablet reading news mainly
We do have youtube on and both tvs using iptv but not all at once :)

I will monitor this some more but i think going by the statistics BF1 may be coming under `Web File Transfer` I took a screen shot before i played the game and then a little while after and the one that changed the most was the one i listed by about half a GB, also Fifa a little bit even though im not playing it and a very small amount was Electronic arts.

Ok more inspection and its classing it as Fifa lol

Also last 3 rounds of BF1 had no packet loss and pings were stable plus i got my best round, so something must be working well, thanks :)

Last edited:
I will monitor this some more but i think going by the statistics BF1 may be coming under `Web File Transfer`

Make sure you update the Signature Version under Administration -> Firmware update, will get the latest QoS definitions from Trend Micro. I haven't tested specifically with BF1 but it's pretty good at classifying PC games that I have tested.

I will monitor this some more but i think going by the statistics BF1 may be coming under `Web File Transfer` I took a screen shot before i played the game and then a little while after and the one that changed the most was the one i listed by about half a GB, also Fifa a little bit even though im not playing it and a very small amount was Electronic arts.

Ok more inspection and its classing it as Fifa lol

Also last 3 rounds of BF1 had no packet loss and pings were stable plus i got my best round, so something must be working well, thanks :)

Glads its working better. If your using my suggestions web is still higher than video/downloads and you may be happy with that. Or if you require further optimization there are putty commands available to determine for sure where fifa is being directed and its also possible to add custom rules to freshs script if needed. This is much more advanced stuff. I am capable but am not home atm to assist.

@Sinner & @skeal

So to clarify what the "priority" list does, it actually does two things simultaneously.

1) Latency / Ping / Bufferbloat priority

During situations when network is attempting to operate at set capacity, bufferbloat will exist on the bottom classes and travel in an upward direction to maintain that network capacity in a managed maner.​

Bufferbloat = completely dropped packets (udp traffic) OR dropped & retransmitted packets leading to higher than idle pings (tcp traffic)​

2) Bandwidth available from classes not using their guaranteed rates will be offered to the top class before traveling to the bottom classes.

--

With these effects known, I sorted my traffic categories in the order of Ping Sensitivity.
(My Ping-sensitive top classes will have no bufferbloat at the sacrifice of my non Ping-sensitive bottom classes).

This is what user @sinner was trying to explain. I too believe it is the most ideal setup.

--

Another simulataneos effect I would like to mention.

If a class has bandwidth needs that are BELOW its guaranteed bandwidth rate, it will NOT experience bufferbloat regardless of its position in the priority list. (It could be dead last in the list).

This might be what user @skeal is expereining. Since his classes might fit routinely fit within his guarenteed rates, maybe he simply want's all his excess bandwidth to first be offered to "Streaming" instead of anything else. Or maybe he is not averse to bufferbloat in the lower classes.

Alternatively, maybe he wants bufferbloat for his videos, and doesn't care about the rest of the traffic.

If it were me, I would probably boost minimum guaranteed bandwidth for the videos instead of placing it high in the list just so it can receive excess bandwidth.

--

Some users on this forum have very low network bandwidth.
These users just want videos/music to keep streaming even if everything else stops. (The guaranteed bandwidth approach is not an option.)

As always, there is no right or wrong solution.

--

Many purists even believe that "unidentified traffic" always has to be given LAST priority.

I also really do NOT agree with that approach, so this really reaffirms that there is no right or wrong solution aswell.

Just try to understand what is happening behind the scenes and create a setup that works for you.

Enjoy!

I could explain real-world effects of different combinations in practical use, but that would get text heavy, FAST!

Last edited:
@FreshJR If my top needs are streaming and gaming what would you think the order should be? Any guidance is appreciated. I understand ping but not ping sensitive traffic.

Can I get some feedback from somebody better at this than me?
My Categories are:
Gaming
Web Surfing
Voip
Others
Video Streaming
Downloads
I use these settings because I have allocated lots of bandwidth to streaming. Streaming is what I do. And some gaming as well. Does this make more sense now @Sinner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!