What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd set it to about 80% since previously this is what was required to get A+ bufferbloat rating. Are you saying setting it to more like 95% will actually give better results with the QoS? I figured it would make it worse since there will be less margin for error.
My modem is a Vigor 130. Both modem and router are on the latest firmware.
I'm pretty sure my overhead is set correctly for a UK BT Infinity 2 connection:
View attachment 18430

Thanks for your help
What type of connection ADSL or VDSL?, I'm using the bridge up VDSL 2 because I have a vigor 130 and I'm using the 95 percentage of bandwidth, and my connection is upper based since I have no login, it authenticates via MAC here in Australia because I'm with Optus (SingTel Optus)

Yours doesn't look right it should be VDSL ppoe and a value of 27 for overhead then aslo test with bandwidth at 95 percent, that should set a pretty big overhead gap, see if it helps.

Last edited:
Hi, does someone knows how to make Steam/Origin/Etc. Downloads being considered File Downloads instead of websurfing?

Sent from my SM-G965F Duos

It’s going to WebSurfing since it’s a HTTPS game download and DPI doesn’t know what it is.

Simply make a rule that says if {GameConsole} && HTTPS —> GameTransfering

@Vexira isolate the device and check the connections table / pie charts.

I would like to add “iTunes” to the AppDb field and put it into something else other than Streaming. What’s the best way? I have filled up the user editable fields to cover a Verizon device and 3 fire TVs.
IMG_9082.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s going to WebSurfing since it’s a HTTPS game download and DPI doesn’t know what it is.

You mean something like this? (i.e. all NAS traffic to File Downloads)

And what about if it's not a console? Because it's a PC which I use for gaming and other stuff and just want to filter out game download traffic to gaming, instead to be set under https.

Thanks
4ead418d7e2fd3857f66781a7d2c4268.jpg

I would like to add “iTunes” to the AppDb field and put it into something else other than Streaming. What’s the best way? I have filled up the user editable fields to cover a Verizon device and 3 fire TVs. View attachment 18464

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click on itunes name in the tracked connection table. Remember or write down its mark. Create a rule using that mark.

You mean something like this? (i.e. all NAS traffic to File Downloads)

And what about if it's not a console? Because it's a PC which I use for gaming and other stuff and just want to filter out game download traffic to gaming, instead to be set under https.

Thanks
4ead418d7e2fd3857f66781a7d2c4268.jpg

Almost, see the above instructions on how to find out the mark corresponding to HTTPS traffic.

The HTTPS into “GameTransferring” rule would really only work for a game console and not a PC. Anything HTTPS encrypted, on a game console, is mostly going to be a game download but one that is mirrored from your ISP CDN. This means the HTTPS encrypted traffic you are seeing is coming from a generic server, instead of a known game file server. DPI doesn’t know what the HTTPS traffic contains because it is encrypted, but the ISP CDN serving HTTPS traffic typically mirrors Netflix, YouTube, game downloads, anything popular really, etc.

The HTTPS rule really wouldn’t work for a PC since a PC has diverse HTTPS traffic (which DPI cannot identify) so on a PC you can’t simply assume any HTTPS is GameTransferring.

Last edited:
Click on itunes name in the tracked connection table. Remember or write down its mark. Create a rule using that mark.
I've filled up the top section, so I was wondering how I could add to the second section (if possible?).

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 001 - QoS - Classification - 192.168.2.1.png
    FireShot Capture 001 - QoS - Classification - 192.168.2.1.png
    279.3 KB · Views: 599
Or simply put the iTunes mark in the AppDB section and redirect it there.
Thanks @FreshJR! For some reason I was thinking I had to edit the AppDB section behind the scenes not within the page. :oops:

VoIP wasn't lighting up on rate and pps I was watching it, I'll check it again today to see if it's just a problem with my PC and browser.

Thanks again.

Thanks @FreshJR! For some reason I was thinking I had to edit the AppDB section behind the scenes not within the page. :oops:
Ok, I'm at a lose for now....Clicked on Youtube and iTunes app to find marks, but they are still showing in video and streaming....Clicked apply and even toggle QOS on and off, checked some time later as well, same thing.

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 002 - QoS - Classification - 192.168.2.1.png
    FireShot Capture 002 - QoS - Classification - 192.168.2.1.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 576
  • FireShot Capture 003 - QoS - Classification - 192.168.2.1.png
    FireShot Capture 003 - QoS - Classification - 192.168.2.1.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 592
Put same info from AppDB redirection into ip tables rule and it works correctly and shows iTunes as Rule 4 (file transferring). Any idea why it doesnt in AppDB @FreshJR?

Edit: This is showing in log...Mark is correct as I check numerous times. Even tried O (letter) instead of 0 (number) to see if that was difference. Was not....o_O

Code:
Jun 29 22:52:10 RT-AC86U-2318 kernel: ERR[prep_app_ses_class:2873] Failed to find dev group for this device!

Last edited:
@FreshJR I killed everything using network traffic all I can see is others category having a rate and pps, whilst im in a Facebook messenger video or audio chat, not sure if it has anything to doe with the hardcoded rule of snapchat being in others.

I cant remember the explanation you gave for it nor can I find it sadly would be nice to have an option to disable that rule.

Aslo steam videos as in trailers are going to game transferring not to video and audio streaming, probably explains why im having issues with them not streaming in higher quality.
Come to think of it that probaly also explains the battlefield I/V intro videos for multiplayer game modes being so low quality also.

Is there also a way to get the scrip to detect the presence of this scrip and to start after its done I notice the qos script sees to have restarted twice after install this.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ntpmerlin-installer-for-kvic-ntp-daemon.55756/

Last edited:
Put same info from AppDB redirection into ip tables rule and it works correctly and shows iTunes as Rule 4 (file transferring). Any idea why it doesnt in AppDB @FreshJR?

Edit: This is showing in log...Mark is correct as I check numerous times. Even tried O (letter) instead of 0 (number) to see if that was difference. Was not....o_O

Code:
Jun 29 22:52:10 RT-AC86U-2318 kernel: ERR[prep_app_ses_class:2873] Failed to find dev group for this device!

Looks like you are the first user to use the AppDB area. I’ll look into what is happening and fix it. Both fields are intended to work the same. (From my pre-release testing, it did work. Gotta find the coding gremlins )

@Vexira, my script appends itself to the end of firewall-start start during installation. This means the overall script start order depends on install order.

You would have to organize entires manually in firewall start to change order. It shouldnt matter if the script stargs first or last, so I’m not looking into changing the start order.

Last edited:
Hi FreshJR, good to see you again. :)

Well, I even tried the AppDB to redirect 1400C5 (DoT from Clients) into NetControl but it didn't work (without getting a log entry). So I put it into the iptables section and then it immediately redirected DoT into NetControl. Maybe it helps investigating.

Best wishes,
Chris

Looks like you are the first user to use the AppDB area. I’ll look into what is happening and fix it. Both fields are intended to work the same. (From my pre-release testing, it did work. Gotta find the coding gremlins )

@Vexira, my script appends itself to the end of firewall-start start during installation. This means the overall script start order depends on install order.

You would have to organize entires manually in firewall start to change order. It shouldnt matter if the script stargs first or last, so I’m not looking into changing the start order.
Looks like you are right I checked it it seems to have sorted it self out cheers for pointing that out.
from what im seeing it must have been a one off glitch in the logs.

I think I got it work if you want I can send you the ip and ports and classification to be set as a default rule I guess.

Last edited:
Anyone know why some of my download traffic is being incorrectly displayed as upload traffic under: Adaptive QoS > Bandwith Monitor?

AC68u
384.11_2
FreshJR v8.8

Edit: I'm not sure if this is releated to the FreshJR script or is a bug in the TrendMicro or Asus code but wasn't sure where else to ask.

Last edited:
Understood that it will be part of next release - but while I'm waiting, I thought I would try some script-tweaking by myself.

I used grep to find 4 lines in the script which referenced "--dports 53,123"
I changed all 4 lines to also include port 853: "--dports 53,123,853"

Do you foresee any issues with that? Everything appears fine for me, for the past 12 hours, but I haven't really stressed my connection very much yet...
has this solution worked well?

Anyone know why some of my download traffic is being incorrectly displayed as upload traffic under: Adaptive QoS > Bandwith Monitor?

AC68u
384.11_2
FreshJR v8.8

Edit: I'm not sure if this is releated to the FreshJR script or is a bug in the TrendMicro or Asus code but wasn't sure where else to ask.
I have the same when using Ipv6 via 6RD on my RT-AC66U_B1. AC68U on native Ipv6 does not do that!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.