What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dudes i need to add these entries i presume after all services have started.
I know i will have to delete Fresh's script but need to test something.

Anyone help with how i do this?Scared of messing it up.
Im a dummy at scripts.Can i use telnet? and what steps exactly do i do?

thx.

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS0

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -d 192.168.1.142 --dport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p icmp -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65534 -j TTL --ttl-set 255

Dudes i need to add these entries i presume after all services have started.
I know i will have to delete Fresh's script but need to test something.

Anyone help with how i do this?Scared of messing it up.
Im a dummy at scripts.Can i use telnet? and what steps exactly do i do?

thx.

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS0

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -d 192.168.1.142 --dport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65535 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p icmp -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS6

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -s 192.168.1.142 --sport 1024:65534 -j TTL --ttl-set 255

I use win SCP to edit the script, if you need help with it just pm me I'll walk you through it.

You are welcome to congratulate the work of @FreshJR. It feels really good on the router and I have good values. I also added the IP of my PS4 in the first rule of iptable (IPv4).
I have read that the script may not be updated anymore and it is really unpleasant news. I think this script is essential for connections with a low ISP.

For the last 2 hours, family member is downloading game update on Steam, consuming pretty much all bandwidth. In the router, this traffic appears as "HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL", rather than something related to file download, so it probably has more priority than it should. Can this be adjusted somehow?

For the last 2 hours, family member is downloading game update on Steam, consuming pretty much all bandwidth. In the router, this traffic appears as "HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL", rather than something related to file download, so it probably has more priority than it should. Can this be adjusted somehow?
Yea, you can either "reassign" the port its using (which will make all items using that port be "reassigned" or just assigned the IP of their console/pc to the gaming category.

Yea, you can either "reassign" the port its using (which will make all items using that port be "reassigned" or just assigned the IP of their console/pc to the gaming category.
I meant, on some "global" basis. Even if I succeed doing it today on this particular download, tomorrow it may be another port. Adaptive QoS is smart enough to recognize Amazon Cloudfront, Epic Games,Spotify, and so on (I have not idea how - by their IP's?), so I'm wondering why it does not recognize Steam.​

I meant, on some "global" basis. Even if I succeed doing it today on this particular download, tomorrow it may be another port. Adaptive QoS is smart enough to recognize Amazon Cloudfront, Epic Games,Spotify, and so on (I have not idea how - by their IP's?), so I'm wondering why it does not recognize Steam.​

Sounds like you have some reading ahead of you...start at the beginning of this thread. That should help you get started. Then come back when you have a better understanding of how the script works and need to “tweak it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Folks, I was looking at the sorting in the freshjr and it seems tweaked more to voip and gaming. I may have missed it (long thread) but can someone provide how to tweak things for streaming and VPN?

is that something I have to script and how? By the way, I’d need commands or sample to be able to do this (savvy enough to set up ssh, diversion, skynet, etc. but needed the instructions).

much appreciated...

Sounds like you have some reading ahead of you...start at the beginning of this thread. That should help you get started. Then come back when you have a better understanding of how the script works and need to “tweak it”.
I don't want to come across as too arrogant or too lazy, but I thought that something that calls itself "adaptive" is expected to work without me tweaking it, or in fact, even understanding the inner details of it. I did not tweak it in order to recognize Epic Games and Spotify.

I don't want to come across as too arrogant or too lazy, but I thought that something that calls itself "adaptive" is expected to work without me tweaking it, or in fact, even understanding the inner details of it. I did not tweak it in order to recognize Epic Games and Spotify.
The idea with this script is until the Trend Micro signatures learn how to identify and categorize that type of traffic, the FreshJR rules can give it a hint based on a combination of source IP, destination IP, source ports, destination ports, etc.

Adaptive QoS is only as smart as the signature files updated periodically by TM. It doesn’t do any on-device machine learning, etc.

This script allows you to customize or tweak adaptive QOS. Out of the box it works OK but like most things in technology it has to be updated and maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize if I missed something obvious. I've tried to read through the thread. I've got a default rule that appears to be putting all traffic going to port 119 to file download which is fine but then when I look at traffic I see some entry's showing as NNTP and others showing as untracked. Sabnzbd seems to be sitting at a standstill with an item sitting in the queue so I assume something needs to be tweaked. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've attached a screenshot of some of the untracked content. I ended up adding a 2nd rule for a specific ip and the same two ports 119,583 but I don't understand why the first rule didn't apply to them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191125_020125.png
    Screenshot_20191125_020125.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
I apologize if I missed something obvious. I've tried to read through the thread. I've got a default rule that appears to be putting all traffic going to port 119 to file download which is fine but then when I look at traffic I see some entry's showing as NNTP and others showing as untracked. Sabnzbd seems to be sitting at a standstill with an item sitting in the queue so I assume something needs to be tweaked. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've attached a screenshot of some of the untracked content. I ended up adding a 2nd rule for a specific ip and the same two ports 119,583 but I don't understand why the first rule didn't apply to them.
The rule properly put port 119 traffic into the File Downloads category (dark blue). But since not all of the traffic was identified by the Trend Micro engine as "application" NNTP, some of it is shown as Untracked. At least that's how I would rationalize what you see. As long as it's in the correct category, don't worry. Be Happy.

Damn. I really hope he didn't just quit on us :(
I think it's safe to say at this point this script will no longer be getting updated, at least not by FreshJR. Hopefully one of the other scripters takes an interest in picking up the project.

The rule properly put port 119 traffic into the File Downloads category (dark blue). But since not all of the traffic was identified by the Trend Micro engine as "application" NNTP, some of it is shown as Untracked. At least that's how I would rationalize what you see. As long as it's in the correct category, don't worry. Be Happy.

Thank you! What's the solution if I end up with more than 4 additional rules which appears will fill up all the available slots?

Sad to hear the dev is MIA. I just found out about the script thanks to amtm and am deeply impressed with it. My internet is via wifi hotspot so this has made a WORLD of difference. I've played with streaming, web surfing and file downloading and everything has been flawless. The simple fact untracked traffic goes to other makes a big diff.

Any typo's are the sole fault of the cat trying to type with me.

Thank you! What's the solution if I end up with more than 4 additional rules which appears will fill up all the available slots?
That was a limitation of how he had to implement the script. My suggestion (which I had to do myself) was broaden my static IPs for video streaming so it only filled 2 of the 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!