What's new

vnStat [Release] vnStat-on-Merlin - UI, CLI and email - data use and data limit monitoring - R1 and R2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well it didn't really as it turned out ... but

at least explained the behavior I was seeing when I did further testing, so it's effectively "intermittent" for now?

Anyway, all good now I'm aware it's not a new bug as such, looking forward to seeing what you cook up with V2 @Jack Yaz !
Image code is unchanged so the hotfix did nothing to either break or fix it

Image code is unchanged so the hotfix did nothing to either break or fix it

Clearly then it was luck or my poor observational skills that I'd never encountered/noticed the Random Weirdness before then ... either way, not complaining about anything you've done, quite the opposite!

Thanks @Jack Yaz

Noticing warning errors in log:

Jul 14 10:42:37 RT-AX88U-BE50 vnstatd[22055]: Traffic rate for "eth3" higher than set maximum 1000 Mbit (30->4125, r4003 t17592186040202), syncing.
Jul 14 10:42:37 RT-AX88U-BE50 vnstatd[22055]: Traffic rate for "bcmsw" higher than set maximum 1000 Mbit (30->4125, r495 t17592186040252), syncing.

Might this be because physical (WiFi) link between RT-AX88U (primary) and RT-AX58U (AiMesh node) is greater that 1 Mbps (both WiFi6)? Is there a best way to address this?

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 14.06.26.png

Upgrade! For ARM and AARCH-based routers, we've got some great news: vnStat-on-Merlin Release 2 (R2) is now available. This version is based on vnStat 2.7, recently included as an Entware package.

For supported routers, in addition to updating the underlying engine of vnStat, Jack Yaz has worked some of his charting magic, building on the existing charts which are generated by vnStati.

Key changes include:
- Update to vnStat version 2.7
- Data usage is reported in megabytes (base-1000), so no correction is necessary to monitor against ISP bandwidth usage (see this) - and the previous data usage is re-calculated to base-1000
- Minor changes in the built-in charts, including a "shadow" to the daily and monthly usage with projected usage (previously found in the CLI reporting)
- Interactive @JackYaz charts!
- Data usage, by minutes, hours and days - note: new collection periods will take some time to populate
- Data use comparisons (current week vs previous week, by day of week)
- Data use trends (current week, previous week, two weeks prior) -
- Minor changes to the text-based daily reports. These now focus on the most recent periods (last day, previous week, recent 6 months) and include yearly use.
- Choice to save data to USB rather than JFFS

A few other notes:

- The vnStat 2.x package does not exist for MIPS, so these routers will be kept on the R1 "Legacy" branch, with existing functionality but without the interactive charts.
- The previous "weekly" CLI metric was removed from v 2.6 and is not available in R2; the new interactive charts provide weekly use comparisons
- If updated via the UI, a hard refresh of the page may be required (CTRL+R; CTRL+F5; CMD+SHFT+R; etc)
- You may have to wait through a refresh period or two (5-10 mins) before the new JY charts show information

A significant amount of effort and testing went into this release. As always my gratitude to @JackYaz, who has been a fantastic partner in the development of both R1 and R2.

Trying to update two 86u units from 1.02 to 2.0.0 using CLI. I chose U to upgrade, get prompt regarding it being a major upgrade, then it shows still being on 1.02. Trying to update again and file shows locked. Any ideas @Jack Yaz & @dev_null ?

Trying to update two 86u units from 1.02 to 2.0.0 using CLI. I chose U to upgrade, get prompt regarding it being a major upgrade, then it shows still being on 1.02. Trying to update again and file shows locked. Any ideas @Jack Yaz & @dev_null ?
So the version still shows as 1.0.2? In the CLI or the UI or both? If the CLI version shows the right version but the UI still shows the old version, try a hard refresh of the UI page (CTRL+R or equivalent). Also note that an update cycle or two (5-10 minutes) might be required before the interactive charts show up.

The lock file expires in 10 minutes. It's there so you don't end up with multiple runs of the same update.

So the version still shows as 1.0.2? In the CLI or the UI or both? If the CLI version shows the right version but the UI still shows the old version, try a hard refresh of the UI page (CTRL+R or equivalent). Also note that an update cycle or two (5-10 minutes) might be required before the interactive charts show up.

The lock file expires in 10 minutes. It's there so you don't end up with multiple runs of the same update.
And I guess I should ask: these meet the minimum qualifications, including 386.x?

Trying to update two 86u units from 1.02 to 2.0.0 using CLI. I chose U to upgrade, get prompt regarding it being a major upgrade, then it shows still being on 1.02. Trying to update again and file shows locked.

@Jack Yaz, @dev_null

I’m seeing exactly the same thing on my AX86U, still shows 1.0.2 in CLI but 2.0 in GUI after doing update “u” in CLI. Firmware 386.3 beta 2.

If I wait for lock file to expire at 600 seconds, if I hit “u” again I’m back to being offered the upgrade. Also tried a “uf” forced upd

Can’t try a reboot at present due to family and WFH but will try to find a window to do that next?

Any advice?

@Jack Yaz, @dev_null

I’m seeing exactly the same thing on my AX86U, still shows 1.0.2 in CLI but 2.0 in GUI after doing update “u” in CLI. Firmware 386.3 beta 2.

If I wait for lock file to expire at 600 seconds, if I hit “u” again I’m back to being offered the upgrade. Also tried a “uf” forced upd

Can’t try a reboot at present due to family and WFH but will try to find a window to do that next?

Any advice?
OK, not sure why the CLI would fail to show the update when the UI is updated. We'll have to look at the script, so it will be tomorrow, and Jack might have some more questions.

What location are you using for storage (JFFS vs USB)? Do you see the new JY charts in the UI?

@Jack Yaz, @dev_null

Any advice?
Didn't think to check the UI but as @Stephen Harrington states the CLI shows the old version, new version on the UI. Using 386.3 beta2 as well. Charts show in the webpage correctly it seems.

What location are you using (JFFS vs USB)? Do you see the new JY charts in the UI?

@dev_null

Have always used USB I think, though for some reason I can’t see where to check/change it now, and charts look the same to me so think it’s still all on the old stuff. Have you got screen shots of what it should look like?

Didn't think to check the UI but as @Stephen Harrington states the CLI shows the old version, new version on the UI. Using 386.3 beta2 as well. Charts show in the webpage correctly it seems.
I'm wondering if there was a merge issue with the CLI. In the CLI do you see a choice for "Toggle storage location for stats and config"?

In the meantime enjoy the new UI! We'll get the CLI sorted out.

@dev_null

Have always used USB I think, though for some reason I can’t see where to check/change it now, and charts look the same to me so think it’s still all on the old stuff. Have you got screen shots of what it should look like?
USB only became a choice with 2.0.0, JFFS has been the default.

This is what the new charts look like. If you had them you'd know it.

So does the UI state it's version 2.0.0 or 1.0.2? If it's 1.0.2 and you update from the UI does it work?

I'm confounded because I tested the update at least 50 different times, and a fail to update wasn't an issue I encountered.

I'm wondering if there was a merge issue with the CLI. In the CLI do you see a choice for "Toggle storage location for stats and config"?

In the meantime enjoy the new UI! We'll get the CLI sorted out.
1626652382411.png

This is what mine shows...I don't see that option.

This is what is showing in the webpage. Perhaps I am overlooking something but what's different between this and the old version?
1626652499701.png

Pressing "check" with new version showing in gui does this.

1626652584045.png

Pressing update seems to do nothing as it shows same V2.0.0 version and same message again.

Pressing update seems to do nothing as it shows same V2.0.0 version and same message again.
Weird. It's like you have 1/4 the upgrade. I'll need @Jack Yaz to weigh in. I never saw anything like this in testing. Apologies.

I'm seeing exactly the same as @QuikSilver in both GUI and CLI, bar a couple of options I have set differently in CLI.
Old 1.0.2 CLI, old GUI but it "says" it's 2.0. My charts are still the old ones, and look nothing like your sweet new ones :)

I've managed to find a window to do a reboot just now, no change to vnstat issues but additionally I now also get no stats in the GUI in the vnstat CLI section now, with the message:-

Code:
If you are seeing this message, it means you don't have a vntstat stats file present on your router.
Please use option 1 at the dn-vnstat CLI menu to create it

Edit: Stats are back in GUI after doing an "Update Stats" so back to square one ...

:)