What's new

Remote Access MAC address entries.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

traxman813

New Around Here
Are there any currently available routers capable of accepting a Remore Access table "white list" of more than 64 allowable MAC addresses? (Not asking for device connections or users, just allowed MAC entries in the configuration section).

We have more than 40 smart devices in our home BEFORE starting on the phones, laptops, and smart TV'S. TP-Link used to have the Archer A10 (with 128 entries), but has discontinued the device.

Anyone know of a router capable of 128 entries?

Thanks!

What do you mean by "Remote Access", access from the internet side? Local access from the LAN? Or are you talking about internet vs. intranet access?

Are all of these devices wireless or are some of them Ethernet connected?

Mixture of wireless and ethernet. We use the MAC filter to deny access to the internet from the router and have a whitelist of MAC addresses which are allowed to log into the router and then use the internet. This action is referred to as "Remote Access" in the setup of the router Security settings. It works well to keep out local freeloaders, but we're running out of entries in the router itself for allowed MAC addresses (64) in our AXE5400)

TP-Link used to manufacture an Archer model that held 128 entries, but it is now discontinued.

Is there a model available from any manufacture that still allows > 64 entries?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with other brands, but Asus routers don't have this level of control so you can exclude them from your search.

I know that Asus and Linksys routers all seem to have 32 entries. We have more smart devices in our home than that BEFORE we start on phones, tv's, and computers!

Cannot believe that no manufacturers would include bigger list capabilities, as most smart homes have many devices, and we also have neighbors who would love to "share" if we did not have 2 layers of basic security.

Thank you for your time.....

I know that Asus and Linksys routers all seem to have 32 entries. We have more smart devices in our home than that BEFORE we start on phones, tv's, and computers!

Cannot believe that no manufacturers would include bigger list capabilities, as most smart homes have many devices, and we also have neighbors who would love to "share" if we did not have 2 layers of basic security.

Thank you for your time.....

Are you talking about the wireless MAC filter? That is not remote access, totally different. It also doesn't really have anything to do with logging into your router.

First of all, don't give your neighbors your wifi password if you don't want them using it. If they are skilled enough to use the KRACK vulnerability and Man In The Middle attack then use WPA3 on your network. Pretty unlikely you have anyone around doing that though.

My asus has 64 entries in the main MAC filter (on each band, so 128 total). I don't know if it differs by model. If you have more than 64 devices you need to whitelist, you should be running more than 1 AP anyway. That's a lot for these home based routers. Not sure if you can actually use all 128 or if you'd run out of space.

Each guest network on the Asus also gives you 16 on each band, making use of the guest network for smart devices is a good idea anyway so you could put some into the 3 guest networks (x2 bands) and get more that way.

As I said in an earlier post, the "remote access" label is how MY router (a TP-Link) refers to the MAC address filter. I know it is NOT actually remote access. I an a 35-year HP LAN-WAN technician who is looking for a router with a MAC address with more than 64 entries. I maintain a network for two handicapped individuals (veterans) who have many smart devices in their home. This network allows them some decent quality of life without depending upon someone to turn light on and off, start appliances, and the like. Each of these devices requires access to the Internet to function as we need them to.

I know about security protocols and methods, and never give out passwords to anyone except guests, who use the Guest network with a different password. (Their MAC addresses must also be in the whitelist as well). We've never had a problem with security and, while we appreciate your time, are very well versed in the process and know what we are doing to the extent that can help these people function and be comfortable while keeping the Jones' out of our network.

I merely asked if anyone knew of a router with a larger MAC table. TP-Link (Archer) used to make one, but it has been discontinued as of this post. It was also older tech (WIFI 5). Their T/S reps tell me that this is a common complaint, but not to the extent that they feel the need to offer any more entries on current models. Reps at other manufacturers are eager to tell me how many users can connect simultaneously, but have little experience with MAC tables. I've never even seen a manual that specified how many entries were allowed, and no one includes this information in their specifications supplied with advertising or the user's manual.

If I cannot find a router capable of holding a larger list, I will set up a second router and segment the network to achieve the results they need.

Again, I thank you for your time.

As I said in an earlier post, the "remote access" label is how MY router (a TP-Link) refers to the MAC address filter. I know it is NOT actually remote access. I an a 35-year HP LAN-WAN technician who is looking for a router with a MAC address with more than 64 entries. I maintain a network for two handicapped individuals (veterans) who have many smart devices in their home. This network allows them some decent quality of life without depending upon someone to turn light on and off, start appliances, and the like. Each of these devices requires access to the Internet to function as we need them to.

I know about security protocols and methods, and never give out passwords to anyone except guests, who use the Guest network with a different password. (Their MAC addresses must also be in the whitelist as well). We've never had a problem with security and, while we appreciate your time, are very well versed in the process and know what we are doing to the extent that can help these people function and be comfortable while keeping the Jones' out of our network.

I merely asked if anyone knew of a router with a larger MAC table. TP-Link (Archer) used to make one, but it has been discontinued as of this post. It was also older tech (WIFI 5). Their T/S reps tell me that this is a common complaint, but not to the extent that they feel the need to offer any more entries on current models. Reps at other manufacturers are eager to tell me how many users can connect simultaneously, but have little experience with MAC tables. I've never even seen a manual that specified how many entries were allowed, and no one includes this information in their specifications supplied with advertising or the user's manual.

If I cannot find a router capable of holding a larger list, I will set up a second router and segment the network to achieve the results they need.

Again, I thank you for your time.

I provided you info on what Asus offers, as well as some options to potentially extend beyond 64 on them using some workarounds (or multiple APs which you probably will need with that many clients anyway). If you need a really high number of devices you probably want to look into running your own authentication server (RADIUS, 802.1X, etc).

I believe Ubiquiti's limit is 512 per SSID on Unifi devices so that is one you may want to research as well.

No need to get bent out of shape or defend your credentials, nobody questioned that, just making sure we were talking about the same thing as calling it "remote access" refers to something totally different on most routers. You also said something about MAC addresses allowing people to "log into the router and then use the internet" so that sounded like VPN or remote access to the router GUI, again, needed clarification.

Note that none of them have MAC address filters for wired that I know of. You'd need 802.1X for that which is going to be higher end equipment.

Another option is to run your own DHCP server that will only hand out IPs to a whitelisted MAC list. Of course people who know what they're doing could work around that with a static IP.

Thank you for understanding. My current router does provide list access and restriction for wired and wireless devices, and its 64 entry limit is shared by all 6 networks, so enabling the guest networks does not provide any help.

My setup at my office (8 servers, 6 webservers, 34 workstations) is all behind proxy servers using static public IP's only for the external proxy NIC's. Private statics are used for everything inside the proxies. If I could get these gentleman to let me configure something like that for them, I'd have no problem with limits of any kind. They, however, prefer that I use a simple router whitelist that "they understand".

As for getting bent out of shape, I apologize for my tone. I've spent days asking supposed tech support experts about such matters and am really tired of people telling me what I should or could do while really never answering my question about their products. It's frustrating. In this case, the decision is not mine to make and I am trying to give these very honorable folks what they want if I can.

I very much appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf. Hope you are having a restful holiday other than dealing with me.

Thanks again.

Hmmm... thinking outside of the box... most of the limitations are due to WebUI considerations

If one has the list of "approved" MAC addresses - one could create a zone in iptables, and add the list of MAC addresses there...

name - allow_wan_access
proto - any
source - lan
destination - wan
action - accept

and then bind the source MAC addresses to the "lan" zone...Source MAC address in the lan zone list...

11:22:33:44:55:66
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

I won't add the specific rules here, but I'm sure someone that is using AsusWRT can sort that out.

any luck with TP-Link omada ?

I had to search - 8 groups up to 500 each. Omada SDN Controller though. A little overkill solution.

Thank you for understanding. My current router does provide list access and restriction for wired and wireless devices, and its 64 entry limit is shared by all 6 networks, so enabling the guest networks does not provide any help.

My setup at my office (8 servers, 6 webservers, 34 workstations) is all behind proxy servers using static public IP's only for the external proxy NIC's. Private statics are used for everything inside the proxies. If I could get these gentleman to let me configure something like that for them, I'd have no problem with limits of any kind. They, however, prefer that I use a simple router whitelist that "they understand".

As for getting bent out of shape, I apologize for my tone. I've spent days asking supposed tech support experts about such matters and am really tired of people telling me what I should or could do while really never answering my question about their products. It's frustrating. In this case, the decision is not mine to make and I am trying to give these very honorable folks what they want if I can.

I very much appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf. Hope you are having a restful holiday other than dealing with me.

Thanks again.

Are they looking for a solution with their current router or are they willing to go with something new? Like I mentioned, Ubiquiti supports 512 per SSID. I don't believe it requires the management software to be running (actually I know it doesn't as my Unifi AP has 4 MACs denied in it and it works fine without the controller running). Unless it supports X number without controller running and more with it, but I suspect they have enough memory to handle the full list. That is just an AP though, you would add it on and leave their current router as wired only. They would have to launch the controller software to add new MACs though. You could take a look at their new "Dream Machine" - not sure if it requires a controller or how many MACs it supports. That's an all-in-one device with security etc built in.

Another option is to search some of the small business type stuff from the various vendors find one with RADIUS or 802.1X built in. That should accomplish what you want for both wired and wireless (well 802.1X will do both, RADIUS is for wifi only typically). Or one with a built in firewall that supports L2 (MAC) filtering.

I suspect DNSMASQ may also have the functionality to only hand out IPs to approved MACs (many DHCP servers do but never tried with DNSMASQ) however that requires firmware with scripting ability and you'd have to update the script every time you add a MAC so not really a good solution. Firewall (EBTABLES or IPTABLES) would work too but again, scripting and not easy to do for them.

I hear the frustration with tech support. Most of us here listen and know what you're asking for, even if we don't have the "cut and dry" answer. What you're looking for is at the very least a small business oriented feature, borderline enterprise, so it may come down to visiting the forums for each vendor to see if you can find or ask the question. Depending on their/your budget, I think something with a RADIUS server built in or 802.1X would probably be your best solution.

Couple other options I can think of:
Multiple APs (as already mentioned)
YazDHCP addon for Merlin allows 128 static DHCP entries which could, in a way, serve a similar function. You could set your DHCP range to 128 IPs, then put in "dummy entries" for any that are not currently in use, which they then just add the real one when they get a new device. This does not stop someone from setting a static if they know what they are doing, but is that likely in this environment? I wonder if that is actually what the TP link is doing, the fact that it does both wired and wireless makes me wonder. Doing it on wired is uncommon so makes me think it is a DHCP filter and not an overall connection filter which would use 802.1X or similar. I have an old TP Link AC router, have never played around with it much so I don't recall.

YazFI I'm not sure if it has a MAC filter or not, I believe it was suggested but not sure if ever implemented. @Jack Yaz can you confirm if there is one and how many it supports?

So, no smoking gun answer from me unfortunately, off the top of my head, other than Unifi APs (which would be wireless only, wired filter would still be done on their current router), I don't know which ones do/don't support what you're looking for. If you think DHCP filtering would be enough, an Asus with Merlin and YazDHCP may be the way to go. A bit of a hack but not too bad.

Actually I like this idea - making things into a service provider type of approach...

WPA2-Enterprise handles the WiFi side, and depending on the router/AP/Switch, one can control access on the LAN side as well.

It's a bit more work up front, but sustainable over the longer term.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!