What's new

Repeater mode AC68U not working well

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d0g

Occasional Visitor
My main router is an AC87U and I'm trying to extend range to guest house using an AC68U. (Both are on latest stable Merlin firmware.)

When the 68 is in Media Bridge mode, I get a solid 100-120 mbps. But when it's in Repeater mode, I get around 80mbps – which is fine – but WiFi clients keep losing connectivity after an hour or two. Sometimes only restarting the 68 fixes it.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this? Should I try a different firmware, like Tomato or DD WRT?

I could use Media Bridge but then I'd have to buy another router to add Wifi.

Also – would getting long range (9dbi?) antennas help with speed? On which router?
Also – someone offered me a Linksys EA9200 for $70 – would that be better as a repeater than the 68?

Thanks!

it is known to be very stable using older wifi-drivers when we never had any issues with it.
follow install instructions (not just update firmware)!

Reactions: d0g
I tried flashing John's fork, as well as Advanced Tomato, as well as going back to Asus 376 ... all through CFE recovery ... and every time I got "The file transferred is not a valid firmware image."
Is something wrong with my firmware/bootloader?

try with Asus restauration tool, maybe more luck.
Before loading firmware make a factory reset with initialize first to free NVRAM.

I tried flashing John's fork, as well as Advanced Tomato, as well as going back to Asus 376 ... all through CFE recovery ... and every time I got "The file transferred is not a valid firmware image."
Is something wrong with my firmware/bootloader?
Assuming your router can boot and you can log-in via ssh:
login via ssh and run strings /dev/mtd0 | grep bl_version. What do you get?
If this is your "converted" TM, you need to look elsewhere for more help.