What's new

DSL-AC68U Repeater Mode with GNUton experimental

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frontierLive

New Around Here
Okay so I recently found myself with access to the DSL-AC68U Asus Router. I looked around, great GNUton has done fantastic work and I found the https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/gnuton-snapshot-feature-repeater Repeater mode firmware. Perfect, I am looking to set up a router as a wireless repeater/extender.

I have a virgin media superhub 3 which I use as the router and modem for my internet needs. I installed the above firmware, switched to repeater mode, confirmed which network i wanted to repeat (Automatically assign IP) but when I look in the settings, I get:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

So then I go into the settings and manually assign the repeater with:
IP Address: 192.168.0.11 (I found an empty location and assign it here)
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (this is virgin media superhub's default gateway)

I then reboot and it wants me to go to 192.168.0.11 to see the Asus settings but it fails and gives the generic no connection chrome page (i use chrome as my default browser).
I have even tried adding the router via MAC address and assigning it 192.168.0.11 on the superhub's setting but no luck.

Am I using the experimental firmware incorrectly? I am almost convinced to give up and look up a DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. Any solutions would be most welcome. Thank you

Okay so I recently found myself with access to the DSL-AC68U Asus Router. I looked around, great GNUton has done fantastic work and I found the https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/gnuton-snapshot-feature-repeater Repeater mode firmware. Perfect, I am looking to set up a router as a wireless repeater/extender.

I have a virgin media superhub 3 which I use as the router and modem for my internet needs. I installed the above firmware, switched to repeater mode, confirmed which network i wanted to repeat (Automatically assign IP) but when I look in the settings, I get:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

So then I go into the settings and manually assign the repeater with:
IP Address: 192.168.0.11 (I found an empty location and assign it here)
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (this is virgin media superhub's default gateway)

I then reboot and it wants me to go to 192.168.0.11 to see the Asus settings but it fails and gives the generic no connection chrome page (i use chrome as my default browser).
I have even tried adding the router via MAC address and assigning it 192.168.0.11 on the superhub's setting but no luck.

Am I using the experimental firmware incorrectly? I am almost convinced to give up and look up a DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. Any solutions would be most welcome. Thank you

I have been trying something similar (but without the GNUton firmware - which I will check out)
Try factory reset the 68U
Access via 192.168.1.1 as usual (not connected to the LAN) - you will be forced to change the password - it will reboot
When signing in again, try and skip the wizard, and go straight to the LAN set up page and you can set up the IP address here - 192.168.0.11 (you can leave the static route in the main router)
Apply the settings.
After that is done - you can access via the new IP address
Now you will need to go to LAN/DHCP Server page
Turn off the DHCP server
Set the Default Gateway to same as superhub
Set DNS Server to same as the superhub
Apply and wait ... hopefully that works for you