What's new

Replacing SkyQ hub with R7800 voxel firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom Brough

Regular Contributor
I'm currently with Vodafone BB which uses a PPPoe connection, but I've been offered a deal on sky BB that I'm considering bit I've heard they need a different type of connection which people call MER? I've looked on my router log in page and I don't see the option for that so does that mean the R7800 can't connect to this service? The only tutorials I can find on the internet relate to the r7800 with ddwrt installed and it shows as an option?

Regards

Tom

Correct, you need a router which supports DHCP option 60/61 to use on Sky vdsl (fttc). Most standalone routers don't support this feature on stock firmware, you would need to install DD-WRT or Merlin's firmware in order to use the router with Sky.

However, the easy solution is just to buy a combined modem router such as the Netgear D7800, Billion 8900AX or TP Link VR2800, all of these have DHCP 60/61 hard coded into the settings so all you do is select 'Sky VDSL MER' as ISP and you're connected. The D7800 is very similar to the R7800 but with a Lantiq xDSL modem built-in.

That link sounds a bit technical but worth a try ..
I have managed to replace my sky q hub with a r7800 and an external Huawei HG612 modem

I can post simple steps, but an overview:
  • Enable telnet via the page
  • Telnet into the router
  • Edit 2 lines in a file on the router using vi (Unix command line text editor)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!