What's new

Requirements for 300Mbps and other questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bard

New Around Here
I recently bought a Netgear WNDR3700 router but the network status shows up as 150Mbps instead of the 300Mbps and I don't understand why. I am using a D-Link DWA-130(Rev C1 if that matters) for my adapter and the D-Link driver/utility which lists 100% signal. Wireless settings are set for up to 300Mbps for both 2.4 and 5GHz ranges as well as WMM. I am using WPA2 security. Latest firmware installed.

There are other systems on the network consisting of 2 wired clients, a wireless printer, and 2 wireless g clients. I understand that my N connection can get slowed down when other clients are in use but I should still be able to connect at 300Mbps correct?

If the other clients are the problem, I do still have my older router and can configure it as an access point. However in the Add, Don't Replace article it mentions that it is recommended to use the 20MHz on the N router which seems to be up to 130Mbps mode which defeats my purpose. My other concern about using an AP is I don't have a lot of space to separate the two routers and am concerned about interference. I should also be able to use things like my wireless printer and access my workgroup and LAN in the same way as before though the N router with the other clients connect to the old one right?

Thanks for you help.

Check the client and see if it has any properties for bandwidth mode. Sounds like you've done all the router-side settings correctly.

Your N link rate won't be affected by the use of G clients. Just the actual throughput.

You should separate multiple APs by at least 10 feet to avoid overloading the receivers.

I don't see anything for the bandwidth on the D-Link driver, just the regular properties for Windows and device manager/properties. I was getting frequent, albeit short, disconnects on the 300Mbps setting for the 2.4GHz frequency. I switched it to 130Mbps and it is stable so far but the connection for Windows is now reporting 65Mbps. I am not sure why it is always connecting at half the rated speed. I tried removing the USB adapter and plugging it back in and using the supplied dongle/stand in a higher location, but I still get the same results. I am hoping it's the adapter and not the router. It's the only N adapter on the network and other clients seem to have no trouble at 54Mbps.

If worse comes to worse I can buy another adapter. I'm just a bit disappointed with my foray into wireless N thus far. I'd probably go with the NETGEAR WNDA3100. Any advantage to PCI models or ones you would recommend?

I uninstalled the driver/software and then did a manual install with windows finding the driver. I even did a driver update and it pulled down a newer one than the D-Link website had. Now it's saying 52 and jumps to 65Mbps for about a second before going back. I'll try using my old router as an access point for all the other wireless g devices on the network.

I did read the adapter round up but since there are no pci adapters I thought I would ask. I'll see if there are any similar chipsets as the top performers.

Yes, it's WPA2-PSK [AES]. inSSIDer reports one other network in range(1-2 bars) on channel 11 and I am on channel 1. inSSIDer also reports my security as RSNA-CCMP which seems to be WPA2 as far as I know.

I returned the router. It was dropping connections and even the wired ports gave me problems. Netgear tech support surprised me though. They picked up quickly and I could understand them except for one call with a lot of static on it. They had me do typical things like resetting the router and trying different cables but ultimately suggested I return it. I'll stick to my 54g setup and sneakernet large files for the foreseeable future.