What's new

Restart for unknown reason AC87

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FJ40Dan

Occasional Visitor
Hi - Not sure what happend but a bit worried my AC87 restarted on its own?

Log below on what happend. Anything to worry about?

Firmware 380.60.1

Thanks!

Dec 11 23:42:26 rc_service: ntp 748:notify_rc restart_upnp
Dec 11 23:42:26 kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
Dec 11 23:42:26 miniupnpd[749]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Dec 11 23:42:27 miniupnpd[767]: HTTP listening on port 45684
Dec 11 23:42:27 miniupnpd[767]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Dec 11 23:42:27 rc_service: ntp 748:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Dec 11 23:42:27 disk_monitor: Finish
Dec 11 23:42:27 kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
Dec 11 23:42:29 disk monitor: be idle
Dec 11 23:42:35 rc_service: udhcpc 590:notify_rc start_firewall
Dec 11 23:42:35 dhcp client: bound 73.202.221.219 via 73.202.220.1 during 272734 seconds.
Dec 11 23:42:36 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Dec 11 23:42:41 crond[449]: time disparity of 719022 minutes detected
Dec 11 23:42:45 qtn: bootcfg.tgz exists
Dec 11 23:42:52 dfs: start dfs scan
Dec 11 23:42:52 nodfs_scan: complete

i write many times.
My and manu other users 87U have unexpected reboot on latest merlin fw.
Try disable AI services like AIProtection, traffic analyzer adaptive qos or other.

Thanks VANT!
I'll wait on disabling AI that is one of the main reasons I got this unit.

try selective disable services and observe behavior. Maybe only one services make problems ? First try Traffic analyzer if you have activated this feature.

Updated to 64 and still an issue. Traffic analyzer not on either. Rolling back to last stable version until fix is in.

Updated to 64 and still an issue. Traffic analyzer not on either. Rolling back to last stable version until fix is in.
Hi there

What's the last stable version you rolled back to? We can't use anything lower than .60 correct?

Thanks in advance!

Do you happen to have the reboot scheduler enabled under the Administration -> System Tab->Miscellaneous?

Do you happen to have the reboot scheduler enabled under the Administration -> System Tab->Miscellaneous?

Hi!

I've tried both with and without but to no avail. I've also disabled all extra features as much as I can. As i noticed that it usually goes dead at around 3+ AM, im testing it with auto daily reboots at 2.30AM and see if it helps

:(

Thanks in advance
James

Hi!
I'm on merlins latest fw 64_2 and noticed that I to have reboots without any cause.

Traffic analysis is on and micro trend protection but that's it.
Did you have any success with this issue?

Router: ASUS 87u

I wonder if the trend micro protection is pulling down an update and then forcing a reboot. I'm not using it.

Hi - Not sure what happend but a bit worried my AC87 restarted on its own?

Log below on what happend. Anything to worry about?

Firmware 380.60.1

Thanks!

Dec 11 23:42:26 rc_service: ntp 748:notify_rc restart_upnp
Dec 11 23:42:26 kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
Dec 11 23:42:26 miniupnpd[749]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Dec 11 23:42:27 miniupnpd[767]: HTTP listening on port 45684
Dec 11 23:42:27 miniupnpd[767]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Dec 11 23:42:27 rc_service: ntp 748:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Dec 11 23:42:27 disk_monitor: Finish
Dec 11 23:42:27 kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
Dec 11 23:42:29 disk monitor: be idle
Dec 11 23:42:35 rc_service: udhcpc 590:notify_rc start_firewall
Dec 11 23:42:35 dhcp client: bound 73.202.221.219 via 73.202.220.1 during 272734 seconds.
Dec 11 23:42:36 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Dec 11 23:42:41 crond[449]: time disparity of 719022 minutes detected
Dec 11 23:42:45 qtn: bootcfg.tgz exists
Dec 11 23:42:52 dfs: start dfs scan
Dec 11 23:42:52 nodfs_scan: complete
I noticed one unscheduled reboot. Since then I have over 3 days of uptime.

I wonder if the trend micro protection is pulling down an update and then forcing a reboot. I'm not using it.

Signature updates do not require reboots, it will only restart the necessary services.

I always seem to get a reboot when I set the option in aiprotection to send notification- Infected Device Protection and Blocking-Alert Preference- when I place a check mark Malicious Site Blocking I will get some notices and then the notices will stop. and a reboot shortly. The last time the router was stable for 18 days very shortly after setting to get notification of Malicious site blocking , reboot

RT-AC87U

Now my 87u have more than 22 days uptime (form 20.dec.2016) without any problem on latest official fw and have enabled all AI services also with email notification traffic analyzet parental controll etc.. So if anyone have still problems with rebootthen should try latest official fw.
IMO asus fix something for 87u in latest 4180 release.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments, ill stay with Merlin, I really like the features he has worked in, just thought I would share my experience in the hope that It may help.

Hi folks,

I am a new ASUS customer with this AC87 (had it about a week), and due to constant issues am now a new member of this Forum (awesome content here).

I chose this ASUS router due to the robust DHCP functionality in its UI (time schedule to disable specific devices). After finally getting past the mess things became after entering a reserved IP address using a lower-case MAC address :mad:, I just can’t get over all the bugs in a router product. I am now suffering from reboots.

A short search brought me to this enticing Merlin firmware, but from this thread it appears reboots are still a thing. My router arrived with the latest as of today (3.0.0.4.380_4180) and I see the Merlin Beta 4 for that, but I haven’t actually installed it yet. (But am open to)

My two biggest issues are:

1: Random reboots. Some other search proposed using a short preamble on wireless and that got me 2 days until the next reboot, but that may have just been coincidence. I only run 2G wireless, at the lowest power-saving level, and have 5G turned off.

2: No WOL from WAN! This one floors me. WOL worked for me for years, with other routers. On the LAN, any device can wake any other using any utility that sends the packet. From the WAN nothing gets through (so much for TeamViewer!). WOL also doesn’t work from the router’s Network Tools UI, but there’s mention in the Merlin release notes that that page had issues. I can WOL using their AiCloud application via the WAN, but … seriously?

Well, it’s either return this router or migrate to Merlin. If I’m missing anything obvious regarding these reboots, I would certainly appreciate a pointer.

Nice to be with you all...
Gene

Last edited:
1) Random reboots of a new device would tend to indicate a hardware problem.

2) WOL from WAN isn't allowed because it's a serious security hole. If you really need that, you will have to either use a VPN, or manually configure the firewall yourself (and be willing to deal with the security risk involved with that).

The WOL from the webpage is indeed fixed in my firmware. You could also go back to a previous version of Asus's firmware, the problem appeared with firmware 3.0.0.4.380_4180.

Appreciate the reply, thanks. Will likely install once the Beta settles down.

2) WOL from WAN isn't allowed because it's a serious security hole. If you really need that, you will have to either use a VPN, or manually configure the firewall yourself (and be willing to deal with the security risk involved with that).

... configure the firewall yourself. I'm assuming you mean the firewall in the router, since each PC's firewall is accommodating this and works with other routers.

So, that would be in the Network Services Filter? (LAN to WAN packet exchanges?)

Thanks,
Gene

Appreciate the reply, thanks. Will likely install once the Beta settles down.

... configure the firewall yourself. I'm assuming you mean the firewall in the router, since each PC's firewall is accommodating this and works with other routers.

So, that would be in the Network Services Filter? (LAN to WAN packet exchanges?)

Thanks,
Gene

Doubt you'd be able to do it through NSW, since that would imply setting it in whitelist mode. I meant manually creating the necessary iptables rules using a firewall-start script.

Hmm, I had one restart this week after I upgraded last week to .64_2 release - never hat it with .63 (running for 2 months).

The symptoms where: lost internet connectivity and wireless connection, re-connected my notebook via wireless to the router and re-gained internet access, again lost internet access and then also wireless, saw router LEDs flashing and after 2-3 minutes checked syslog.log and saw a reboot - no indication in the log why the reboot happend happend!

My AC87U is running high CPU and RAM load, but was very stable until this week the one reboot happend. Will observe further to see if it happens now regularly... :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!