What's new

Right interface for vnstat on AC68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bitgod

Occasional Visitor
Running Merlin 386.2_6 on an AC68. I was setting up vnstat for the first time this week and during the install it asked me for the interface and if "vlan2" was what I wanted to use. Not knowing better and hoping it'd give me the right default, I said yes. Was that the right choice? I had thought maybe eth0 would have been the choice. And this may be related or a different question, but I transferred some data today using a VPN on my computer, and the data count in vnstat is lower than it should be, as if it didn't register the VPN activity. Was that because of the interface choice?

vlan2 is correct if you have hardware acceleration enabled, otherwise it's eth0.

With hardware acceleration enabled the router's traffic stats are inaccurate. This is not the fault of vnstat.

Ah, ok. Since I've gone back to a monitoring kick, I'll turn the HW accel off. After I did that, I figured I could just go into the vnstat config and replace the "vlan2" with "eth0", but I got some immediate errors after saving the file. Since there wasn't much to lose, just brute forced it and uninstalled and reinstalled, got the eth0 option during install this time.

edit: Ugh, nevermind. I'm reminded now why I had turned HW accel back on. With it off, my download speeds (both watching a file download and doing a speedtest.net test) are halved. Oh well, turn it back on it is.

Last edited: