What's new

Entware VnStat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just a quick Question, does vnStat include stats from the VPN?

To me, it does not include the data going through the VPN
It's been a while since I was running this, but I'm pretty sure it just keeps stats on all incoming/outgoing WAN traffic... which would include the encrypted traffic going over a VPN at that time.

vnStat (the Entware application) measures traffic passing through a particular interface. If the VPN created a (consistent) separate interface, you could monitor data on the interface, and you could do it on the fly (vnstat -i <<interface>>). Check for interfaces with vnstat --iflist.

In contrast, vnStat-on-Merlin (dn-vnstat, the AsusWRT Merlin application) is designed to monitor one interface, and to provide a GUI wrapper for that interface. If your VPN is running data through this interface, it would capture the total data passing through that interface, but would not segment out any specific type of data.

Remember: if you have hardware acceleration (by whatever name) enabled, the stats are likely to be inaccurate.

Last edited:
In contrast, vnStat-on-Merlin (dn-vnstat, the AsusWRT Merlin application) is designed to monitor one interface, and to provide a GUI wrapper for that interface.

So i think mine is

If your VPN is running data through this interface, it would capture the total data passing through that interface, but would not segment out any specific type of data.

Hmmm i was just lookinh for totals out/in the WAN

Hmmm i was just lookinh for totals out/in the WAN
Then either the Entware version running via CLI or vnStat-on-Merlin should work. If you're not seeing the amount of data you expect transiting the interface it would suggest you have some sort of hardware acceleration enabled.

I tested an OVPN connection, router-to-router with a Merlin-based remote endpoint, and can confirm that VPN usage through the primary interface (eth0) is recorded by the local router and by the remote router. I used a web-based speedtest (speedtest.net), and monitored with vnstat -l (lowercase L) at both ends.