What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just upgraded my router to gt 5300. It seems has a problem like that I can not cast my YouTube yo my Samsung TV. Is anyone has this issue
I did and I stopped having that issue (and many others) when I disabled SmartConnect. With SmartConnect, sometimes my YouTube app would see the TV and sometimes it wouldn't; toggling WiFi on the phone would usually bring it back. Same for the ecobee app and thermostats--only I'd have to disconnect/reconnect the thermostats.

no, but I'm in contact with their support about this insane log issues
Jan 28 20:30:54 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(458): eth6: Deauth_ind deviceXXX, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
You'll get this when a device goes to sleep and disconnects from the network or when the device leaves the area or powers off. I get these when I turn off the TV, when the Surface Pros save power, when the phones leave the area.

I did, however, get it with devices that never leave (like thermostats, Amazon echo devices). Disabling SmartConnect, and the settings mentioned in the thread I linked earlier (MU-MIMO, Universal beamforming, roam assist) seems to have resolved that issue (still monitoring but so far, so good).

I did and I stopped having that issue (and many others) when I disabled SmartConnect. With SmartConnect, sometimes my YouTube app would see the TV and sometimes it wouldn't; toggling WiFi on the phone would usually bring it back. Same for the ecobee app and thermostats--only I'd have to disconnect/reconnect the thermostats.

You'll get this when a device goes to sleep and disconnects from the network or when the device leaves the area or powers off. I get these when I turn off the TV, when the Surface Pros save power, when the phones leave the area.

I did, however, get it with devices that never leave (like thermostats, Amazon echo devices). Disabling SmartConnect, and the settings mentioned in the thread I linked earlier (MU-MIMO, Universal beamforming, roam assist) seems to have resolved that issue (still monitoring but so far, so good).

In this Beta firmware I could observe one exponential increase rate of this messages with devices working disable roaming assistent is one essencial key to evict self addressing issues, especially with apple devices, other wifi pro settings I’ve notice any difference in incidence of this sort of messages if this settings are enable or disable. On the previous firmware this messages appear in cicles of 5-6 minutes, now it has been shorten to only 1-2 minutes. This messages are appearing with or without smartconnect.

In this Beta firmware I could observe one exponential increase rate of this messages with devices working disable roaming assistent is one essencial key to evict self addressing issues, especially with apple devices, other wifi pro settings I’ve notice any difference in incidence of this sort of messages if this settings are enable or disable. On the previous firmware this messages appear in cicles of 5-6 minutes, now it has been shorten to only 1-2 minutes. This messages are appearing with or without smartconnect.

Airtime fairness was the other thing I disabled.

How are these devices configured? You have to eliminate the device first (is it disconnecting?) before looking at the router. What devices do you have? Do they go into power-saving mode? Are they mobile and leaving the area? Are any of them on battery? Do you have sleep modes configured to remain connected? (Except Windows 10--it does whatever the hell it wants irrespective of your wishes and settings).

IOW, are your fixed, always-awake devices disconnecting from the router? Checking their connection times on the Network Map is useful; you can sort by access time.

I've tried searching but failed in finding any answers. If my question has already been answered, I'm sorry, and please direct me to the thread.

So, the question: Is it possible to do VPN (openvpn, VPN Fusion) and port forwarding? I'm using the VPN service Mullvad and port forwarding works through the supplied app, and the VPN service works well with VPN Fusion and OpenVPN, but I have no idea how to make port forwarding work when the VPN client is running on the router.

VPN client on PC and port forwarding: works.
VPN client on router without port forwarding: works.
VPN client on router with port forwarding: ???

Is this guide, made for Merlin FW, applicable somehow?
https://mullvad.net/sv/help/asus-merlin-and-mullvad-vpn/

First time post, long time lurker

Had this router packed away, since my move in November, just been using the FIOS router, since then.
Didn't feel like dealing with frequent disconnects/radio drop outs, google home issues, i was having at my old place (comcast and using smart connectf for 5ghz)

Looks like there have a been a few recent firmware updates, decided last weekend to try it again.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81695
2020/03/26

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81686
2020/03/10

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81685
2020/03/06

Decided to give a shot a few days ago, reset it, firmware updated to 81695 automatically.

This time around, i didn't use smart connect, all my phones, smart devices etc on 5 ghz-1 and Fixed desktops and android TV on 5 ghz-2 radio, nothing on 2.4 ghz (i may turn it off frankly)

Had it piggy backed on the fios router for a few days to check stability no issues, then released the DHCP lease from the fios router and rremoved it,.

no issues the last few days. Logs look clean.

So far so goood.

First time post, long time lurker

Had this router packed away, since my move in November, just been using the FIOS router, since then.
Didn't feel like dealing with frequent disconnects/radio drop outs, google home issues, i was having at my old place (comcast and using smart connectf for 5ghz)

Looks like there have a been a few recent firmware updates, decided last weekend to try it again.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81695
2020/03/26

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81686
2020/03/10

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81685
2020/03/06

Decided to give a shot a few days ago, reset it, firmware updated to 81695 automatically.

This time around, i didn't use smart connect, all my phones, smart devices etc on 5 ghz-1 and Fixed desktops and android TV on 5 ghz-2 radio, nothing on 2.4 ghz (i may turn it off frankly)

Had it piggy backed on the fios router for a few days to check stability no issues, then released the DHCP lease from the fios router and rremoved it,.

no issues the last few days. Logs look clean.

So far so goood.

Are you using AI Protection? Every time I've enabled that, I've had problems (stops passing traffic, crashes)

I never could get SmartConnect to...well....keep connected and not for lack of effort; that was one feature I really wanted to work. Having three separate networks and manually balancing them is the only way I could have any semblance of reliability.

I'm using SmartConnect between 2.4 and 5G in an AiMesh setup and it works well for me. The second 5GHz radio is not part of SC because of that stupid backhaul decision Asus' made. The node is an AX88U. What issues are you seeing with SC?
I don't use Ai Protection. And I have no plans to use it. A subjective trust issue on my side.

I'm using SmartConnect between 2.4 and 5G in an AiMesh setup and it works well for me. The second 5GHz radio is not part of SC because of that stupid backhaul decision Asus' made. The node is an AX88U. What issues are you seeing with SC?
I don't use Ai Protection. And I have no plans to use it. A subjective trust issue on my side.

Devices would lose connectivity (they would show connected but wouldn't pass traffic) until I disconnected/reconnected them or restarted the router. This would happen with all three bands or two bands (both 5 or 2.4 and one 5).

More specifically, the issue is with channels/freqs being set to "Auto"--which is forced by SmartConnect--rather than being able to manually select channels. The router would bounce around far too frequently (802.11ADHD, heh heh).

Having stable connections with manual channel selection refutes the "too much interference causing disconnects" argument.

Basically, the router mostly works fine if you don't use any of its features and reboot it monthly.

Devices would lose connectivity (they would show connected but wouldn't pass traffic) until I disconnected/reconnected them or restarted the router. This would happen with all three bands or two bands (both 5 or 2.4 and one 5).Basically, the router mostly works fine if you don't use any of its features and reboot it monthly.
I feel for you! That must be really annoying! I have no troubles roaming between 2.4 and 5 based on the signal strength. Sometimes it takes a bit to move back to 5GHz from 2.4, but eventually it does. Default settings, nothing tweaked.

Actually I'm rebooting it weekly :)

I've had my router just over two years. I don't use smart connect as I want control over channel numbers to manage conflicts with neighbours and non Wi-Fi devices in the 2.4 Ghz band.

I do use AI Protection for peace of mind. I'm not sure what I should be afraid of in using this. No resulting problems that in I'm aware of.

I have found serious degradation of 2.4 Ghz performance with a USB 3.0 thumb drive, so had to switch that to USB 2.0 mode, which is sufficient for infrequent file transfers.

There are usually 20-25 devices connected at any one time out of a pool of 42 currently monitored on the network.

In a domestic setting the range extends throughout the property - 3 bed semi - and comfortably to the far side of the road at the front and right to the bottom of the garden at the back.

It all just works.

I reboot rarely - less than monthly - and that is probably more than necessary.

Last edited:
I've had my router just over two years. I don't use smart connect as I want control over channel numbers to manage conflicts with neighbours and non Wi-Fi devices in the 2.4 Ghz band.

I do use AI Protection for peace of mind. I'm not sure what I should be afraid of in using this. No resulting problems that in I'm aware of.

I have found serious degradation of 2.4 Ghz performance with a USB 3.0 thumb drive, so had to switch that to USB 2.0 mode, which is sufficient for infrequent file transfers.

There are usually 20-25 devices connected at any one time out of a pool of 42 currently monitored on the network.

In a domestic setting the range extends throughout the property - 3 bed semi - and comfortably to the far side of the road at the front and right to the bottom of the garden at the back.

It all just works.

I reboot rarely - less than monthly - and that is probably more than necessary.

AFAICT, AI protection updates cause the router to freeze after a few weeks, requiring a power-cycle. Additionally, each of the three switches below it have to be off and not just the AI Protection one overall for them to truly be off (this kind of bugginess doesn't inspire confidence).

The problem with "auto" managing conflicts with neighbours is that they're also doing the same thing, so everyone is bouncing around constantly and not avoiding interference; i.e. if three routers determine that their channel is too crowded and all switch around the same time, they all then choose the same least-crowded channel, the problem isn't solved and now we have an additional problem. Use a WiFi scanner to watch this. Manually choosing my channels (again, use a WiFi scanner for a few hours) has led to far better stability, throughput, and latency.

Hey guys, new GT-AC5300 owner here with a question. It was set up for a few days with visible SSID's and the performance was pretty good. My wired connection was about 750mbps down, and my fastest wireless devices were getting over 500. I changed the SSID's to hidden, and my wired connection and upload speeds are still the same speed, but now I can't get over 160 down on any wireless devices.

Has anyone else seen such a significant drop in wireless speed just by hiding SSID's? No other setting were changed except to hide the SSID's.

Another thing that is kind of weird, when I hid the SSID's it took almost a full day for the router to actually stop broadcasting the SSID names.

Thanks.

Latest firmware?
What's really weird is it took that long to stop broadcasting SSID!
Are you using Smart Connect? If so, you should hide under all radios.
A reboot may be in order. If after reboot speed stays the same on that radio, I can't see other way than to open a ticket to Asus. Especially if speed comes back if you unhide the SSID.

Yes, latest firmware and not using Smart Connect. I did already re-boot a few times, starting right after hiding the SSID's because it was still broadcasting them. It was around noon the next day that devices started to disconnect because it was no longer broadcasting the SSID's. The speed drop is noticeable on both 5 Ghz radio's.

Hi Guys,

Just got this router and have couple of questions.

1. I have enabled QOS (Gaming) for testing purposes and i cannot disable it now. Pressing Apply doesn't do anything. Any idea?

2. I have added AiMesh node, which is located on 2nd floor of my house and my main laptop is always connecting to it, even though GT5300 is near it. I have tried adding it to the list (http://router.asus.com/Advanced_Roaming_Block_Content.asp) but it doesn't really do anything. Can you "force" specific devices to be connected to GT5300 only/always?

3. As 2nd 5Ghz Radio is dedicated for AiMesh (currently on channel 153) , my 1st 5Ghz radio is on lower channels (currently 46) - am i able to increase range or have all channels listed on both bands, or at least to swap - so i have higher channels on band 1 and lower channels on 2nd band (AiMesh)?

4. At one point i wanted to disable Mesh mode and release 2nd radio but i am unable to figure out how. Help would be appretiated?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I was able to get my wireless speed back, and it was by changing the control channels back to "Auto" from the channels that were the least busy when I did a site survey. I find it very odd that setting the channel would result in such a massive speed decrease, but I was at 130 mbps on my phone before, and now I'm at 708 on my phone and 751 on the wired desktop.

@Bob Loblaws, you must have picked the wrong channel then. :)

Hello all,

I have the GT-AC5300 with the latest firmware from ASUS and have noticed performance issues over LAN lately. I did a wired connection to my laptop and topped out at 350mbps when i have gigabit internet from xfinity. Router says connection is 1gbps and so does the ethernet nic on my computer. Wifi next to the router on the 5ghz channel would get me 380mbps. Asus tech support went through their standard channel recommendations but did not help too much. It is far past the warranty date and hate to go spend 400-500$ on a new performance router to support my 30+ devices i have connected (mostly iot devices like alexa, doorbell, camera, etc). Should i look at doing a factory reset? I believe the cables should be fine, as they've remained in the same spot for years. I've done several reboots of both the router and modem and and xfinity insists the modem is working as intended. Not sure what to do next.
Any suggestions would be great.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!