What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Everyone,

I just got my Rapture GT-AC5300. I'm trying to set up VPN Fusion using OpenVPN. The Status says 'Connected'. My internet works when I have the standard Internet connection set as Default. When I set the OpenVPN connection as Default, internet no longer works. I talked to NordVPN about this and this was their response:
"We've done alot of testing (with the GT-AC5300), and basicly if you just setup VPN, you will have no internet unless you route devices through the VPN and then have your local network as default."

They basically told me I have to manually list every device in the Exception List and assign each to the OpenVPN. I would also have to keep the standard Internet connection as my default.

For me this is not acceptable. I want my OpenVPN connection through NordVPN to be my default connection for any and all devices... especially those not specified in the Exception List. I am awaiting a call back from ASUS on this issue, but it sounds like this is a hardware limitation according to NordVPN. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this? If I can't get this to work I will be forced to return this router. I could have paid half the money for the same functionality.

John

I just subscribed yesterday for NordVPN and it's horrible in speed my connection without VPN is 400Mbps and with I can't even have 100Mbps thought it works on the RT-AC5300 did you try to add DNS provided by NordVPN in WAN settings?
I will do more testing tomorrow with the new Rapture GT-AC5300 but if i don't have at least 350 Mbps I am asking for a refund don't need a VPN if it's cut my download speed!

Last edited:
I just subscribed yesterday for NordVPN and it's horrible in speed my connection without VPN is 400Mbps and with I can't even have 100Mbps thought it works on the RT-AC5300 did you try to add DNS provided by NordVPN in WAN settings?
I will do more testing tomorrow with the new Rapture GT-AC5300 but if i don't have at least 350 Mbps I am asking for a refund don't need a VPN if it's cut my download speed!

Yes I added the DNS entries provided. It does not work.

Hi Everyone,

I just got my Rapture GT-AC5300. I'm trying to set up VPN Fusion using OpenVPN. The Status says 'Connected'. My internet works when I have the standard Internet connection set as Default. When I set the OpenVPN connection as Default, internet no longer works. I talked to NordVPN about this and this was their response:
"We've done alot of testing (with the GT-AC5300), and basicly if you just setup VPN, you will have no internet unless you route devices through the VPN and then have your local network as default."

They basically told me I have to manually list every device in the Exception List and assign each to the OpenVPN. I would also have to keep the standard Internet connection as my default.

For me this is not acceptable. I want my OpenVPN connection through NordVPN to be my default connection for any and all devices... especially those not specified in the Exception List. I am awaiting a call back from ASUS on this issue, but it sounds like this is a hardware limitation according to NordVPN. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this? If I can't get this to work I will be forced to return this router. I could have paid half the money for the same functionality.

John
Is it the exact same as on the GT (Gamer ISP)?
From my understanding the Gt ac53000 has an enterprise level 2 way firewall that trend micro created built into the router. It is suppressed too be more powerful the just the aiprotection. You can get similar protection from a standalone device for about 300 hundred, but you would still need a router to attach to it.

From my understanding the Gt ac53000 has an enterprise level 2 way firewall that trend micro created built into the router. It is suppressed too be more powerful the just the aiprotection. You can get similar protection from a standalone device for about 300 hundred, but you would still need a router to attach to it.

Where did you find this out at? Was it a comparison, or just from reading reviews etc ?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

John
I'm running 9.0.0.4.382_19484 and I am not having a problem with setting NordVPN as default connection. I did have to manually set the dns to NordVPN's settings but that is it.

It was from CNet's review, so I assumed it was reliable.

Don't. Cnet is the one (if I remember correctly) who couldn't locate the USB port on a previous review because it was hidden behind a small door (which was documented in the manual...), so they claimed it only had one USB 2.0 port...

When it comes to router reviews, SmallNetBuilder remains the most knowledgeable source.

The GT-AC5300 AiProtection software is identical to that of every other Asus router that runs the 382 or 384 firmware series and has AiProtection support.

My xbox firmware is 10.0.16299.4055, released on 12/03/17
Alright, I set both xbox ones to instant one and had them plugged into lan ports 1 and 2. I turned them on and off multiple times at different times and the network stayed stable. I then let both of them idle until they shut off automatically at about half hour intervals. I did this twice simply because I didn't want to spend the whole day not playing. Network still remained stable. Tomorrow I'll hook up my Alienware laptop and try to crash the network.

Don't. Cnet is the one (if I remember correctly) who couldn't locate the USB port on a previous review because it was hidden behind a small door (which was documented in the manual...), so they claimed it only had one USB 2.0 port...

When it comes to router reviews, SmallNetBuilder remains the most knowledgeable source.

The GT-AC5300 AiProtection software is identical to that of every other Asus router that runs the 382 or 384 firmware series and has AiProtection support.

Gotcha, yeah I misspoke though, I posted the link for the review I was talking about, it was Trusted Reviews. I still made sure to come here to for reviews. I never listen to just one source. As far as the protection, it was the game IPS I was referring to, I did not believe the othere asus routers have that feature, but I'm no expert by any means.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!