What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks Merlin for the reply.. After I sent that message I wasn't sure. But now I know.. Merlin can you shed some light on what might cause a game to physically run slow? Something tells me my issue might have to do with buffering or buffer bloat.. The game usually starts out fine then this slowness sets in. I'm so confused at what I should try next. But what can a person do about buffer bloat? Is there a firmware out there that really could help this? Can buffer bloat cause lag spikes? Sorry for the many questions but I know your going to be the person that likely has the best answers for me.. Thanks Merlin..
There are a lot of potential causes for what you're describing and the router is at the bottom of that list.

There are a lot of potential causes for what you're describing and the router is at the bottom of that list.
I agree with what your saying. My concern is when I do the test for buffer bloat on dsl reports I'm off the chart for buffer bloat. Specially download. My upload isn't as bad but I still have concern about it. Why I mention this here is when I first got this router I was able to adjust this through QoS. But no longer does that feature seem to work anymore. I have to try and eliminate any possibilities I can. And buffer bloat was always one thing that bothered me the most. When I say I'm off the charts for buffer bloat my download bloat is over 3000ms. And my upload is well over 1200ms. I'm not sure how much one can do about this buffer bloat but it bothers me and I feel this might be my cause for this slowing effect in gaming. And I was wondering also if excessive buffer bloat can cause lag spikes from possible data dumping.. Again I just want to eliminate anything I can that could cause poor gaming. The only cool feature that this router has and still works is it shows me the IP address of each game server I connect too. And it also give me the port its communicating on..Which I find very cool. Specially since the game developer doesn't give them out publically when asked.. If you have any ideas I'm all ears..

Just ran mine and seeing respectable 37ms on DL and 507ms on UL for comparison. Running .648 (didn't factory reset after last upgrade) in AP mode.

I agree with what your saying. My concern is when I do the test for buffer bloat on dsl reports I'm off the chart for buffer bloat. Specially download. My upload isn't as bad but I still have concern about it. Why I mention this here is when I first got this router I was able to adjust this through QoS. But no longer does that feature seem to work anymore. I have to try and eliminate any possibilities I can. And buffer bloat was always one thing that bothered me the most. When I say I'm off the charts for buffer bloat my download bloat is over 3000ms. And my upload is well over 1200ms. I'm not sure how much one can do about this buffer bloat but it bothers me and I feel this might be my cause for this slowing effect in gaming. And I was wondering also if excessive buffer bloat can cause lag spikes from possible data dumping.. Again I just want to eliminate anything I can that could cause poor gaming. The only cool feature that this router has and still works is it shows me the IP address of each game server I connect too. And it also give me the port its communicating on..Which I find very cool. Specially since the game developer doesn't give them out publically when asked.. If you have any ideas I'm all ears..
Two major errors:
1. An upload/download test is not the same thing as an online game; they couldn't' be more different
2. The problem getting progressively worse pretty much eliminates the router (OK, maybe not THIS router, it is rife with problems) and indicates an issue on the computer (game addons, background processes, memory leaks, a driver issue, a storage issue, just about anything)

Try manually setting data bandwidth on QOS page make sure you convert to Mb/s

Thanks Merlin for the reply.. After I sent that message I wasn't sure. But now I know.. Merlin can you shed some light on what might cause a game to physically run slow? Something tells me my issue might have to do with buffering or buffer bloat.. The game usually starts out fine then this slowness sets in. I'm so confused at what I should try next. But what can a person do about buffer bloat? Is there a firmware out there that really could help this? Can buffer bloat cause lag spikes? Sorry for the many questions but I know your going to be the person that likely has the best answers for me.. Thanks Merlin..
As for compiling code from the gt-ac 500 gpl, still can't get a successfull compile. Alphageek, has managed to get the crosstown chain to run, but we get errors about missing directories in the Source path tree. Will try to post errors from build in a few days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

As for compiling code from the gt-ac 500 gpl, still can't get a successfull compile. Alphageek, has managed to get the crosstown chain to run, but we get errors about missing directories in the Source path tree. Will try to post errors from build in a few days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

What base were you using? See the .308 up, but was hoping .648 would be up soon.

Hi everybody,

I had both, the RT-AC5300 and and GT sitting side by side on the shelf and the purchase price difference was so small I had to take the "better" on - or it least I thought so :-/

I purchased the router for 2 particular reasons, "policy driven VPN" - VPN-Fusion here, and the router being powerful enough functioning as a NAS via USB3 port.

Now, coming to my issue: I cannot make my OPEN-VPN work in VPN-Fusion, it just does NOTHING and I do follow every rule of the book.
The internet is just blocked altogether (nothing goes through - everything times out)

My VPN provider is EXPRESSVPN and everything works just fine when I use their apps for iOS and Windows as well as Android.
I do have Samsung TV sets that cannot have apps and I need to stream to them via the router but it just doesn't work.

I am writing this because I read many things here and it all said the the firmware is buggy and not working. Is that so?
I have now 3 updates behind me, today was the last one to Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_20648 but STILL, OpenVPN is not working.

Would someone please be kind enough to enlighten me why it works perfect with my old Asus router model RT-AC55UHP but not with this one?
I do follow the steps, setting up the proper server, uploading the proper files and it does connect to VPN server.

Is there anything that I am missing here or is it really just not working at all?

Thanks you for your advice in advance.

Regards,
jAKE

Jake, it works fine on my end - I'm using a different VPN provider but same OpenVPN protocol. It's been a while since I've set it up, but I remember having something similar occur in which the internet "stopped working." If I recall correctly, it was because the router changes the default connection to the VPN profile you add (without activating it) which causes all traffic to stop. Check and see if that might be the issue.

Two major errors:
1. An upload/download test is not the same thing as an online game; they couldn't' be more different
2. The problem getting progressively worse pretty much eliminates the router (OK, maybe not THIS router, it is rife with problems) and indicates an issue on the computer (game addons, background processes, memory leaks, a driver issue, a storage issue, just about anything)
Ha ha Rolo I do like the part where you said THIS router..lol. But I do understand what you mean. There are a wide range of variables here. What I cant understand is why my latency slowly creeps up! My old Netgear doesn't do this at all.. I'm still keeping an open mind about this router but I'm also thinking of purchasing a Netduma or that new Netgear that has the Netduma goodies in it.. Its sponsored on the main homepage.. I'm really taking it in the shorts with this GT 5300 ASUS.

Ha ha Rolo I do like the part where you said THIS router..lol. But I do understand what you mean. There are a wide range of variables here. What I cant understand is why my latency slowly creeps up! My old Netgear doesn't do this at all.. I'm still keeping an open mind about this router but I'm also thinking of purchasing a Netduma or that new Netgear that has the Netduma goodies in it.. Its sponsored on the main homepage.. I'm really taking it in the shorts with this GT 5300 ASUS.

heh..well it's true; for now, this router sucks. It's like having a Shelby GT (hardware) but filling the tank up with petrol-soaked sand (firmware).

So I understand: you're saying the exact same setup and gameplay (like back-to-back) behaves differently between the two routers? If so, then, yeah, I agree, the router is hinky.

The new 648 firmware is running much better...it's the first time ever it ran a full 7 days without rebooting itself or becoming comatose.

I don't really put this router through its paces: the only real-time gaming is my wife's ESO (which runs fine but it also ran fine on the old Netgear). What game are you playing?

Folks,

I'm back to the Asus after trying out the XR500.

I have two new ROG GT5300's so one is going to be the main router and the other an AiMesh node. Can I use a powerline adapter to connect the node over wired ethernet and will it work like a true wired connection. I'm going to use the Netgear Powerline 2000 with one on the router and one for the node. When connecting them, I guess they should be on an outlet and not a power bar. Also, does it matter how far apart the powerline plug is from the main one since it's using the electircal wiring? I'm looking to place the node on the 2nd floor while the router is in the basement - around 5000 plus square feet.

heh..well it's true; for now, this router sucks. It's like having a Shelby GT (hardware) but filling the tank up with petrol-soaked sand (firmware).

So I understand: you're saying the exact same setup and gameplay (like back-to-back) behaves differently between the two routers? If so, then, yeah, I agree, the router is hinky.

The new 648 firmware is running much better...it's the first time ever it ran a full 7 days without rebooting itself or becoming comatose.

I don't really put this router through its paces: the only real-time gaming is my wife's ESO (which runs fine but it also ran fine on the old Netgear). What game are you playing?
Ha ha I think we ordered a Shelby GT but just got a GT with a 4 banger.. lol. But yes I'm saying if I hook up my old Netgear I don't experience this issue. Plus my Netgear latency doesn't creep up. It stays low and doesn't move. What I find strange with this GT5300 is if I reboot the router it will be fine for a bit. Then within a few hours the latency slowly starts to go up. And it will climb until the router becomes very unresponsive. Not only does gaming become a problem but also basic internet surfing. I don't think I'm stressing the router out. The only thing I have connected to it is my laptop and xbox.and wireless I just have my iPhone. And never do I have both going at the same time while gaming. The game I have this issue with is Halo5. Thanks Rolo!

You did do a factory reset and set it up again "fresh"? Know I read somewhere it can take 2-3 to clear everything out of NVRAM, but not sure how true that is. Know I was having some issues and did this and seemed to clear everything up.

So hooked up the Netgear PLP2000 powerline units and they seem to work well. Connection from main ROG 5300 to node ROG 5300 shows wired and I'm getting wired speeds. Actually, after Orbi, Velop, many different routers and extenders (over the last few weeks) this setup is the BEST. Simply rock solid ethernet speeds throught the entire house with router in basement and node upstairs using AiMesh. I had AiMesh before but not with the PLP2000 and I had an additional RT AC86u which was probably too much for the space. So far, so good.

It doesn't seem like you can do a firmware update on the Netgear powerline PLP2000's though. Anybody know or have experience with them?

Just got a refurbished GT-AC5300 and so far it is working well. One issue I am having is my Amazon Echo cannot connect when Smart Connect is active. From my research here on Smart Connect, it seems to be a gimmick and not function really well. Anyone got it to work with an Echo?

So the node sets itself to Auto and picks either Wireless or Ethernet for the backhaul and Asus says it's going to use the best connection when in Auto. Isn't the best connection always wired so this makes no sense.

Also, I change the mode from Auto to Ethernet for the node and it changes from Wireless to Wired but is this accurate? I'm asking because I'm using the Netgear Powerline PLP2000 and when the node is set to Auto it uses Wireless but when I set it to Ethernet is shows Wired. Moreover, the Asus iOS router app shows Wireless for the node when the router GUI shows wired (if node is set to Ethernet). Which is accurate then and how does this get interpreted. Doubtful because of the Asus app and GUI and because I'm using a powerline connector that is very far from the router powerline connector. But when I plug a laptop to the powerline connector it shows a wired connection (with speeds of wired) so must be working and the lights all show correct between the powerline devices.

Also what's with all the factory resets. We shouldn't have to factory reset this router because of a firmware update?

So the node sets itself to Auto and picks either Wireless or Ethernet for the backhaul and Asus says it's going to use the best connection when in Auto. Isn't the best connection always wired so this makes no sense.

Also, I change the mode from Auto to Ethernet for the node and it changes from Wireless to Wired but is this accurate? I'm asking because I'm using the Netgear Powerline PLP2000 and when the node is set to Auto it uses Wireless but when I set it to Ethernet is shows Wired. Moreover, the Asus iOS router app shows Wireless for the node when the router GUI shows wired (if node is set to Ethernet). Which is accurate then and how does this get interpreted. Doubtful because of the Asus app and GUI and because I'm using a powerline connector that is very far from the router powerline connector. But when I plug a laptop to the powerline connector it shows a wired connection (with speeds of wired) so must be working and the lights all show correct between the powerline devices.

Also what's with all the factory resets. We shouldn't have to factory reset this router because of a firmware update?

An ASUS FAQ states that Auto sensing of the backhaul is defeated by some LAN switches... perhaps, too, by your Powerline hardware. So, set the backhaul type to 'wired' manually.

As for the app, I've seen it enable DDNS and Web access, so I will live without it.

This FAQ discusses factory default reset. If you are upgrading from non-AiMesh firmware to AiMesh firmware, you had better perform a factory default reset afterward before proceeding to setup AiMesh. And I would do it regardless when first setting up AiMesh.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!