What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did something
An ASUS FAQ states that Auto sensing of the backhaul is defeated by some LAN switches... perhaps, too, by your Powerline hardware. So, set the backhaul type to 'wired' manually.

As for the app, I've seen it enable DDNS and Web access, so I will live without it.

This FAQ discusses factory default reset. If you are upgrading from non-AiMesh firmware to AiMesh firmware, you had better perform a factory default reset afterward before proceeding to setup AiMesh. And I would do it regardless when first setting up AiMesh.

OE
Thanks. Just weird that the iOS app says wireless for the type of connection and the router GUI shows wired which should be the correct connection.

Also, I guess Asus hasn't fixed the issue with the iOS app whereby it only shows the wireless clients when you go into the details of router and node(s) or is it meant to work with only showing wireless devices. On the wheel, it does show a count of both wireless and wired but not when you go and view the details for the clients. On the router GUI, they all show so just not on the iOS app with the wired clients.

And, on the DDNS section, did something change. I remember when I set this up (on my first usage of this router, returning it and now deciding to keep it with the new one I just got) that the DDNS section for the host name had like a dynamic host name where not it just shows the host name as it's written. So, if my host name is ROGASUS ... I need to type in "ROGASUS.ASUSCOM.COM" to get to my router whereas before ROGASUS = a long set of characters that was equal to the host name so more secure. Is there a way to turn this back on?

Did something

Thanks. Just weird that the iOS app says wireless for the type of connection and the router GUI shows wired which should be the correct connection.

Also, I guess Asus hasn't fixed the issue with the iOS app whereby it only shows the wireless clients when you go into the details of router and node(s) or is it meant to work with only showing wireless devices. On the wheel, it does show a count of both wireless and wired but not when you go and view the details for the clients. On the router GUI, they all show so just not on the iOS app with the wired clients.

And, on the DDNS section, did something change. I remember when I set this up (on my first usage of this router, returning it and now deciding to keep it with the new one I just got) that the DDNS section for the host name had like a dynamic host name where not it just shows the host name as it's written. So, if my host name is ROGASUS ... I need to type in "ROGASUS.ASUSCOM.COM" to get to my router whereas before ROGASUS = a long set of characters that was equal to the host name so more secure. Is there a way to turn this back on?

All I can suggest is that ASUS seems to be expert at releasing product ASAP, and that subsequent updates seem to make it better.

If you have not setup DDNS (and enabled Web access from WAN), then the iOS app is probably doing things behind your back. Me, I would ditch the app to secure and simplify, and disable the DDNS and Web access to your router/network... ASAP.

OE

I am interested in purchasing this router, but when SNB reviewed this router the WAN to LAN performance was very poor, only able to route around ~700mbit/sec if I recall correctly.

I use a gigabit internet connection so being able to properly take advantage of that connection is very important to me (expecting 940-950mbit/sec over gigabit ethernet).

Is this a known issue with this router and/or has it been addressed in recent firmware?

Ha ha I think we ordered a Shelby GT but just got a GT with a 4 banger.. lol. But yes I'm saying if I hook up my old Netgear I don't experience this issue. Plus my Netgear latency doesn't creep up. It stays low and doesn't move. What I find strange with this GT5300 is if I reboot the router it will be fine for a bit. Then within a few hours the latency slowly starts to go up. And it will climb until the router becomes very unresponsive. Not only does gaming become a problem but also basic internet surfing. I don't think I'm stressing the router out. The only thing I have connected to it is my laptop and xbox.and wireless I just have my iPhone. And never do I have both going at the same time while gaming. The game I have this issue with is Halo5. Thanks Rolo!
I had that problem (the whole router would slow down and eventually either stop responding or reboot by itself). Turning off URL history seemed to have helped. (I can't seem to find that feature now.)

So the node sets itself to Auto and picks either Wireless or Ethernet for the backhaul and Asus says it's going to use the best connection when in Auto. Isn't the best connection always wired so this makes no sense.

Also, I change the mode from Auto to Ethernet for the node and it changes from Wireless to Wired but is this accurate? I'm asking because I'm using the Netgear Powerline PLP2000 and when the node is set to Auto it uses Wireless but when I set it to Ethernet is shows Wired. Moreover, the Asus iOS router app shows Wireless for the node when the router GUI shows wired (if node is set to Ethernet). Which is accurate then and how does this get interpreted. Doubtful because of the Asus app and GUI and because I'm using a powerline connector that is very far from the router powerline connector. But when I plug a laptop to the powerline connector it shows a wired connection (with speeds of wired) so must be working and the lights all show correct between the powerline devices.

Also what's with all the factory resets. We shouldn't have to factory reset this router because of a firmware update?

Ethernet=Wired
Your Powerline adaptors adapt to Ethernet, so as far as the router is concerned, you have a regular Ethernet cable plugged in because that's what you have plugged into the router (understand the OSI model to keep things clear in your mind and in your troubleshooting)
Clearing NVRAM after a firmware update is a pretty standard practice everywhere (motherboards, smartphones, routers, black boxes). Additionally, these firmwares have been very, very buggy, hence, the resets.

I had that problem (the whole router would slow down and eventually either stop responding or reboot by itself). Turning off URL history seemed to have helped. (I can't seem to find that feature now.)

Ethernet=Wired
Your Powerline adaptors adapt to Ethernet, so as far as the router is concerned, you have a regular Ethernet cable plugged in because that's what you have plugged into the router (understand the OSI model to keep things clear in your mind and in your troubleshooting)
Clearing NVRAM after a firmware update is a pretty standard practice everywhere (motherboards, smartphones, routers, black boxes). Additionally, these firmwares have been very, very buggy, hence, the resets.
I'm not super technical at a granular level so I apologize if I sound ignorant. With respect to your reply, are you saying that the GUI will say Wired just because the router detects an ethernet cable plugged into its WAN port from the Powerline adapter? If so, that's not a very definitive way of knowing whether it's actually wired or wireless - particularly since the router GUI and the router iOS app show wired and wireless respectively even though the node is set from auto to ethernet in the node section of Aimesh.

All I can suggest is that ASUS seems to be expert at releasing product ASAP, and that subsequent updates seem to make it better.

If you have not setup DDNS (and enabled Web access from WAN), then the iOS app is probably doing things behind your back. Me, I would ditch the app to secure and simplify, and disable the DDNS and Web access to your router/network... ASAP.

OE
I have setup DDNS and it works. But, I remember the host name = a long value and not the actual host name itself which is more secure. Now, my host name=my host name so it's "myhostname.asuscom.com" to get to my router. How do I turn on that dynamic host name if I can call it that.

So, I am going to try using ExpressVPN's Open VPN. Assuming I get this client piece installed correctly, how does this work then? I would imagine that I need to install the client software/app from ExpressVPN on my device(s) but what credentials would I be using then to access my router remotely for example. Is there further setup on the Asus that's required after the I get the VPN client connection active on the Asus.

On firmware .648 when I enable traffic analyzer my speed goes from 2.1 Gbps on my desktop to 7-14Mbps. Not sure why but just thought I would share if anyone else has the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have setup DDNS and it works. But, I remember the host name = a long value and not the actual host name itself which is more secure. Now, my host name=my host name so it's "myhostname.asuscom.com" to get to my router. How do I turn on that dynamic host name if I can call it that.
I'm not sure what you're saying here but security by obfuscation isn't security (a complicated hostname doesn't make your router any more secure: it's still on the public Internet and it's still getting attacked continually irrespective of any domain name entries.)

I'm not super technical at a granular level so I apologize if I sound ignorant. With respect to your reply, are you saying that the GUI will say Wired just because the router detects an ethernet cable plugged into its WAN port from the Powerline adapter? If so, that's not a very definitive way of knowing whether it's actually wired or wireless - particularly since the router GUI and the router iOS app show wired and wireless respectively even though the node is set from auto to ethernet in the node section of Aimesh.
So I understand you correctly: you're referring to the connection between your main router and the mesh node (backhaul), correct?

It can be wireless, using one radio band on each router to tie them together or it can be wired by having an Ethernet port on each device connected to the other.

From the router's perspective, it is using its Ethernet port. It doesn't matter (or even know) if you're using a cup-and-string adaptor or a singular Cat-5e cable, the router is talking to the other one via that port: it is agnostic to physical medium/media.

Agnosticism is a key principle in the OSI Model:

Layer 3 (logical routing--IP) doesn't know anything about Layer 2 (data links--Ethernet) and neither Layer 2 nor Layer 3 know anything about Layer 1 (physical connectors and voltages--Cat5e cable, RJ-45 plugs/jacks, powerline adaptors). Your powerline adaptors (Layer 1) don't know anything about IP addressing (Layer 3) or sessions between hosts (Layer 5) or that you're playing Rift (Layer 7).

Last edited:
I am interested in purchasing this router, but when SNB reviewed this router the WAN to LAN performance was very poor, only able to route around ~700mbit/sec if I recall correctly.

I use a gigabit internet connection so being able to properly take advantage of that connection is very important to me (expecting 940-950mbit/sec over gigabit ethernet).

Is this a known issue with this router and/or has it been addressed in recent firmware?

Anybody out there using the GT-AC5300 with gigabit Internet that can share their experiences?

I'm not sure what you're saying here but security by obfuscation isn't security (a complicated hostname doesn't make your router any more secure: it's still on the public Internet and it's still getting attacked continually irrespective of any domain name entries.)
If your host name = Rolo for example - and you're connecting to your router using https:\\rolo.asuscomm.com:8443 on the previous 5300 I had, it setup (as an example) "45ashkfdfdfd45454545454300i9545" for "rolo". Surely, a dynamic changing host name would be added security as long as only the dynamic host name is what worked and not if you use "rolo" for the host name.

And, what is the purpose of a client VPN with the Asus router. I tried ExpressVPN and set it up. It connected but then my router had no access to the internet. I thought setting up a VPN would allow me to connect to the router by first engaging a client VPN connection to my VPN and then I would be able to connect to my router. But, it seems that engaging ExpressVPN with the router is only for your router and devices to use the established VPN connection for internet access but I'm still connecting to my router using https as per above. Is it more secure with the VPN client engaged?

So I understand you correctly: you're referring to the connection between your main router and the mesh node (backhaul), correct?

It can be wireless, using one radio band on each router to tie them together or it can be wired by having an Ethernet port on each device connected to the other.

From the router's perspective, it is using its Ethernet port. It doesn't matter (or even know) if you're using a cup-and-string adaptor or a singular Cat-5e cable, the router is talking to the other one via that port: it is agnostic to physical medium/media.

Agnosticism is a key principle in the OSI Model:

Layer 3 (logical routing--IP) doesn't know anything about Layer 2 (data links--Ethernet) and neither Layer 2 nor Layer 3 know anything about Layer 1 (physical connectors and voltages--Cat5e cable, RJ-45 plugs/jacks, powerline adaptors). Your powerline adaptors (Layer 1) don't know anything about IP addressing (Layer 3) or sessions between hosts (Layer 5) or that you're playing Rift (Layer 7).
Just trying to determine if using the 2nd 5300/Aimesh node would be better under a wireless or wired connection using the Powerline adapter. And, if the Powerline adapter was not getting a wired connection or it dropped would my 5300 node go to wireless even though it set it to Ethernet and it shows a wired connection? I don't trust the Powerline adapter is basically the bottom line. Speed tests are haywire now with the setup. At times I get the full 120+ download but at times I get 10-50 download yet using the app's and streaming is still as fast as if I am getting 120+ download so something is awry here. And, do you folks keep Smart Connect ON or OFF? Thanks.

Hi everyone need some help...

Bought GT ac5300 and a netgear dm200 dsl modem/router. Problem is when I switch to MODEM ONLY i get dhcp failure when loading page on laptop..I'm on bt infinity 2 vdsl 70mb down.. is it setting on asus router that need changing????

Any ideas? Or do anyone know of a good modem only for bt dsl internet?

Thanks

Hi everyone need some help...

Bought GT ac5300 and a netgear dm200 dsl modem/router. Problem is when I switch to MODEM ONLY i get dhcp failure when loading page on laptop..I'm on bt infinity 2 vdsl 70mb down.. is it setting on asus router that need changing????

Any ideas? Or do anyone know of a good modem only for bt dsl internet?

Thanks

With the DM200 in bridge mode (modem only) and connected to the WAN port of the 5300 router, did you configure the router's Internet connection PPPoE credentials for your DSL service? These login credentials may have been configured in the DM200, but no longer apply when it is in bridge mode and typically must then be set in the router. Maybe that's it.

OE

With the DM200 in bridge mode (modem only) and connected to the WAN port of the 5300 router, did you configure the router's Internet connection PPPoE credentials for your DSL service? These login credentials may have been configured in the DM200, but no longer apply when it is in bridge mode and typically must then be set in the router. Maybe that's it.

OE

Hi there thanks for your reply..

No I did not configure the ac5300 did not know where to start and did not want re-configure anything to be honest..Better left if unsure..

Could you elaborate regarding PPPoE?

Do you mean

Isp user name which is -bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password - *******

Thanks
Craig

Hi there thanks for your reply..

No I did not configure the ac5300 did not know where to start and did not want re-configure anything to be honest..Better left if unsure..

Could you elaborate regarding PPPoE?

Do you mean

Isp user name which is -bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password - *******

Thanks
Craig

In my limited experience with DSL, you must configure the router for a PPPoE connection with your ISP... this includes setting your authentication credentials in the router WAN/Internet Connection tab for the DSL connection type. Ask your ISP what your credentials are... maybe they have a Support FAQ that will help you sort through what you already know.

AND, you will want to set some other things in the router... like securing the WiFi, etc. If you have no clue, you might want to get hands-on help. Or, you could pick through my - baseline configuration notes for some basic things to consider when securing your router... ignore the AiMesh comments.

OE

In my limited experience with DSL, you must configure the router for a PPPoE connection with your ISP... this includes setting your authentication credentials in the router WAN/Internet Connection tab for the DSL connection type. Ask your ISP what your credentials are... maybe they have a Support FAQ that will help you sort through what you already know.

AND, you will want to set some other things in the router... like securing the WiFi, etc. If you have no clue, you might want to get hands-on help. Or, you could pick through my - baseline configuration notes for some basic things to consider when securing your router... ignore the AiMesh comments.

OE

Hey thanks again I will call support and ask the question..

Setting up everything else is kind of fine but this machine is a bit of a beast..

It's currently running through the bt hub 6 so have double nat as both are acting as routers.

Thanks
Craig

Hey thanks again I will call support and ask the question..

Setting up everything else is kind of fine but this machine is a bit of a beast..

It's currently running through the bt hub 6 so have double nat as both are acting as routers.

Thanks
Craig

I've never messed with double NAT... I gather it can cause problems and is worth avoiding, if possible.

>>this machine is a bit of a beast..

Yeah, good thing you don't have to lift the hood to work on it... the antennas would get in the way! :)

OE

I've never messed with double NAT... I gather it can cause problems and is worth avoiding, if possible.

>>this machine is a bit of a beast..

Yeah, good thing you don't have to lift the hood to work on it... the antennas would get in the way! :)

OE

Hi double nat been like this couple of days planning sorting tomorow. .

Where would double nat effect?

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!