What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I logged into my router and have the notification at the top right corner saying there is a firmware update available. Little flashing bell.. But it says cant connect to Asus to retrieve it.. There firmware is so buggy that it took done there site! LOL.. jk jk...

15 days 4 hours 6 minute(s) 33 seconds it's a new uptime record for my GT-AC5300. Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20648.
Most time since I bough it I had to reload it after around a week uptime. Always the same reason - 2nd 5GHz radio disappearing. This uptime is that "short" due to a broken fuse, otherwise it would be close to a month uptime.
But now...no radar events seen, so 2nd radio kept working. Must be the summer :)
Or some developer nailed it, finally...

@drabisan - i have horrible experience with that build. Need to reconnect the wifi every 2 days or so, and it starts slowing down, and things stop connecting, etc. I have to physically reboot the device. Also, with AiMesh, after 2 days, the mesh drops and I have to restart the router.

@drabisan - i have horrible experience with that build. Need to reconnect the wifi every 2 days or so, and it starts slowing down, and things stop connecting, etc. I have to physically reboot the device. Also, with AiMesh, after 2 days, the mesh drops and I have to restart the router.
Are you running AiProtect on it? Mine is just a AiMesh router - NAT, firewall and router. Nothing else.
Another question: do you connect to it with Asus Router app, either Android and IOS version? My router goes ballistic within few hours every single time I'm connecting the Android app to it. I uninstall it, to remove the temptation.

Are you running AiProtect on it? Mine is just a AiMesh router - NAT, firewall and router. Nothing else.
Another question: do you connect to it with Asus Router app, either Android and IOS version? My router goes ballistic within few hours every single time I'm connecting the Android app to it. I uninstall it, to remove the temptation.
Ai Protect is disabled. Most security things are off as I put an F5 appliance in the DMZ for all traffic.
I don't use any of the iOS or Android apps. I set up the mesh using the config page on both routers. The mesh is just hella unreliable. Also very frustrated as the DFS channels are blocked on this router and you have no way of enabling them.

Discussions related to VPNFilter moved here.

Reactions: kfp
I think I know what causes the AiMesh to bork out. Seems like the primary channel changes randomly which then causes devices to lock up on the network and even the secondary mesh router to disconnect. Is there a way in Smart Connect to disable the auto channel assignment?

Ai Protect is disabled. Most security things are off as I put an F5 appliance in the DMZ for all traffic.
I don't use any of the iOS or Android apps. I set up the mesh using the config page on both routers. The mesh is just hella unreliable. Also very frustrated as the DFS channels are blocked on this router and you have no way of enabling them.

Mine is European version and right now I'm connected to channel 100 80MHz fat, so I'm using all the way to channel 112.
What do you mean by DFS channels are blocked?

Mine is European version and right now I'm connected to channel 100 80MHz fat, so I'm using all the way to channel 112.
What do you mean by DFS channels are blocked?
Channels 100-140 are called DFS channels. In the US, those channels are usually restricted for radar signals and stuff, and most routers don't even display those channels. So for US, we can only use 36-48 and 149-165 which increases the likelihood of interference if you are in an area with many routers as everyone will overlap if they use 80MHz

Yes, there are restrictions, it's enforced for those channels to be monitored for weather stations, civil and military radars and to vacate it when such emission is detected.
But they are available for use. Actually you in US are allowed to use higher transmission power then we are in Europe. And you have nearly 2x as many channels in U-NII-2C band compared to Europe. It's not a regulatory problem your router doesn't let you select those channels.
If the interface is not letting you choose a DFS channel you either have a hardware problem either your router came from a grey source and has the wrong country code.

I love how asus updates all there other models with the new 900 firmware and leaves there top of the line GT5300 with the garbage 648 that is causing so many issues. Paying for the top model seems a waste now since it's updates are delayed. UPDATE IT FIRST yes I am frustrated because the 648 firmware is just constantly loosing AI Mesh, my network pc's fail to connect and see each other and causing a host of issues I was rock stable on 308, but I can't use 308 since the AI mesh won't work with the 86U's on the new 900 series firmware im sick and tried of the constant rebooting of the router 2-3 times to get the radio's to work and everything to work for a few days then again it all starts.

Gotta love the stupidity update your top model first don't leave it till last.

I love how asus updates all there other models with the new 900 firmware and leaves there top of the line GT5300 with the garbage 648 that is causing so many issues. Paying for the top model seems a waste now since it's updates are delayed. UPDATE IT FIRST yes I am frustrated because the 648 firmware is just constantly loosing AI Mesh, my network pc's fail to connect and see each other and causing a host of issues I was rock stable on 308, but I can't use 308 since the AI mesh won't work with the 86U's on the new 900 series firmware im sick and tried of the constant rebooting of the router 2-3 times to get the radio's to work and everything to work for a few days then again it all starts.

WoW, I feel your pain - not nice when things don't work. However 648 for me is rock solid. Everything is stable and I'm seeing the best speeds all over the house. One GT5300 main router and two nodes (86u and another GT5300). Wondering if I should upgrade just the 86u to the latest firmware or wait until Asus releases it for the GT5300. I agree though, where's the firmware for their flagship model?

Yes, there are restrictions, it's enforced for those channels to be monitored for weather stations, civil and military radars and to vacate it when such emission is detected.
But they are available for use. Actually you in US are allowed to use higher transmission power then we are in Europe. And you have nearly 2x as many channels in U-NII-2C band compared to Europe. It's not a regulatory problem your router doesn't let you select those channels.
If the interface is not letting you choose a DFS channel you either have a hardware problem either your router came from a grey source and has the wrong country code.
The router was bought from Fry's Electronics which is a major electronics store here, so no grey source. I think Asus just blocked all those channels on the US model. Anyone else wanna chime in to confirm?

I posted a separate thread but anyone having a issue with this router only showing Mac addresses in the client list and no names on the web gui

I posted a separate thread but anyone having a issue with this router only showing Mac addresses in the client list and no names on the web gui
I see the same behavior on mine. What I end up doing is clicking on the mac address and manually naming each device. The router then saves the device name and will only show that.

I see the same behavior on mine. What I end up doing is clicking on the mac address and manually naming each device. The router then saves the device name and will only show that.

Same on 68U and 86U, except Chromecast and PC names are already installed here (edit: but they can come and go!)... and you can click anywhere, not just on the MAC address. Also handy way to assign static IPs EXCEPT for having to login again after each client edit.

OE

Last edited:
That's weird because my 88u always showed the names. And if you check with the android app it shows the name. It should show the names on the web gui too..

That's weird because my 88u always showed the names. And if you check with the android app it shows the name. It should show the names on the web gui too..

It may have something to do with how the router queries the client (or wherever) and how the client stores the relevant data. I've seen the router client list fumble through some weird/unrelated names/companies before settling on something close to right.

For me, the most annoying thing is the client list refreshing nonsense before you have a chance to assess it... at least the information that is reasonable correct. It's just ridiculous... undermines the user confidence in the GUI and underlaying system.

OE

It's not "stupid" since the GT is a completely different CPU architecture than all other models.

i just hooked my 88u back up and updated to latest firmware just to make sure and it has no issues with client list, the list comes right up with out mac addresses at all. i even did a WPS reset and it came right up with the list working after i configured the router.

https://imgur.com/a/qL94mTw

i guess if im not the only one with a gt having issues with the client list, ill hit up asus support again..... disappointing.....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!