What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure if your settings but when you add your VPN don’t make it the default connection. Activate it then setup each device to use that connection. If that’s how you are doing it I’ve read many other posts complaint about express vpn and this router, I use IPVanish and Nord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm having the same issue as well. As soon as the VPN is enabled all traffic stops. It's not set as default, and no devices are even selected to use it. I'm also using ExpressVpn

Good Morning! Is anyone having any issues with Port Forwarding not working at all? With the new firmware from Friday, I cannot connect to my VPN Server running on my Synology NAS. With the previous firmware, if I couldn't connect to VPN I would just reboot the router until I could. Now, with the new firmware, that doesn't even work. I have reset the router to defaults and reconfigured from scratch to no avail.

The router was bought from Fry's Electronics which is a major electronics store here, so no grey source. I think Asus just blocked all those channels on the US model. Anyone else wanna chime in to confirm?

I bought mine from Best Buy and the same applies. I cannot choose any of the DFS Channels. However, it does look like there are requirements that have to be met in order for the device to be able to offer the DFS Channels because of Radar and other things that use these same channels (100 - 140) and to be able to automatically change to a different channel when needed as to not interfere with other FCC Licensed devices.

Per the site https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless/channel-bonding-wifi-rules-and-regulations/199326059
  • UNII-2e (Channels 100 – 144, 5.49 – 5.730 GHz): This 240 MHz wide band also was reserved by the FCC for government weather radar systems, so DFS sensing is required by access points and client devices. To complicate matters further, Channel 144 was only added for WiFi use in 2013, with the emergence of 802.11ac, in order to support an additional 80 MHz channel. Hence, older 802.11n client devices and some access points do not recognize and therefore cannot operate on Channel 144. Furthermore, several worldwide regulatory domains don’t allow the use of this band. Only higher end client devices and older 802.11n client devices support use on this band.

I'm having the same issue as well. As soon as the VPN is enabled all traffic stops. It's not set as default, and no devices are even selected to use it. I'm also using ExpressVpn

Exact same issue here, also using ExpressVPN. All Internet traffic stops completely. Only solution to get Internet back is to factory reset the router.

Exact same issue here, also using ExpressVPN. All Internet traffic stops completely. Only solution to get Internet back is to factory reset the router.
I've been able to get internet back by updating the DNS settings then disabling the VPN. Idk why but it works

I've been able to get internet back by updating the DNS settings then disabling the VPN. Idk why but it works

Had to try once more and you're correct, that works for me as well. One of the main reasons I got this router was because of this functionality. Sucks that it doesn't work. Even the router itself says that it is disconnected from the Internet after activating ExpressVPN.

I tried the suggestion earlier in this thread to replace the hostname with the IP address, but that did not make any difference.

Had to try once more and you're correct, that works for me as well. One of the main reasons I got this router was because of this functionality. Sucks that it doesn't work. Even the router itself says that it is disconnected from the Internet after activating ExpressVPN.

I tried the suggestion earlier in this thread to replace the hostname with the IP address, but that did not make any difference.
Same reason I bought mine. Provide feedback through the feedback option and maybe we can get this issue noticed

Same reason I bought mine. Provide feedback through the feedback option and maybe we can get this issue noticed

Well wouldn't you know, the NordVPN file works.. At least for now. They have a 3 day free trial, no VISA needed. Just signed up and downloaded the .ovpn file and it works.

Well, they joy of using VPN with NordVPN only lasted a couple of hours. The whole router went down and had to delete everything under VPN Fusion in order to even get Internet back on the router.

I decided to just let it run without any VPN settings for the next 24 hours and have had to reboot it three times in order to get Internet back on it since it the connection just died. Piece of junk. It's going back on Monday.

Well, they joy of using VPN with NordVPN only lasted a couple of hours. The whole router went down and had to delete everything under VPN Fusion in order to even get Internet back on the router.

I decided to just let it run without any VPN settings for the next 24 hours and have had to reboot it three times in order to get Internet back on it since it the connection just died. Piece of junk. It's going back on Monday.

If you are using the latest firmware, revert back to the last release. That’s what I had to do to get VPN Fusion working again. I was getting the same no traffic passing issue you were before going back to the last firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've done that. Hopefully there is some fix coming soon. It's really annoying. Seems to happen more often now.
Such a potentially great router. OPENVPN server and Multi mode clients (Vpn Fusion) still badly broken. God I wish Asuswrt-merlin was available. STILL Can't build image from open source .gz file. ASUS would get far more help if they did better at this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

Has anyone gone mesh (either Velop or Orbi)? Seriously considering selling one of these and just using the other as a router only and something else for access points. Want a better roaming experience, especially for VoWiFi since I work from home and sometimes pace around.

Has anyone gone mesh (either Velop or Orbi)? Seriously considering selling one of these and just using the other as a router only and something else for access points. Want a better roaming experience, especially for VoWiFi since I work from home and sometimes pace around.

I have the three channel Velop with four nodes. I will admit the switching on VoWifi works a little better but not by much. Everything else is unacceptable. They go down all the time and the speed is laughable sometimes. I am currently using a GT-AC5300 as the master and two RT-AC5300's as the nodes. Speed is about two to three times faster than the Velop. I will get dropped calls on an iphone but not on an android, and they don't occur that often. Most of the time its just a pause. I have around 45 wireless clients for reference. The Volop's are sitting unplugged next to the Asus routers...

I have the three channel Velop with four nodes. I will admit the switching on VoWifi works a little better but not by much. Everything else is unacceptable. They go down all the time and the speed is laughable sometimes. I am currently using a GT-AC5300 as the master and two RT-AC5300's as the nodes. Speed is about two to three times faster than the Velop. I will get dropped calls on an iphone but not on an android, and they don't occur that often. Most of the time its just a pause. I have around 45 wireless clients for reference. The Volop's are sitting unplugged next to the Asus routers...

Thanks George. Guess I can see if this gets better with a little more time (firmware updates).

Such a potentially great router. OPENVPN server and Multi mode clients (Vpn Fusion) still badly broken.

It is strange that people have such different experiences. I have OpenVPN server running just fine. I almost always have my iPhone connected via VPN to my home router. This allows me to access the home network and routes all my internet traffic through my home network. I don't think I did anything special to provision this and am using the OpenVPN client on the iPhone.

I also have configured and have used VPN Fusion. I had no problems getting it to work with PPTP. But I wanted to use OpenVPN and I did have a heck of a time getting this running. After reading about how people had been unsuccessful with Private Internet Access (PIA is my current provider), but successful with NordVPN, I decided to give NordVPN a shot.

What I learned is that NordVPN has a VERY COOL way of generating your OVPN file. And the NordVPN OVPN file has the certificate revocation list (CRL) and certificate authority (CA) information INSIDE their OVPN file (PIA provides these as a separate file). So I added the CRL and CA information into the OVPN file and then PIA was up and running using OpenVPN in VPN Fusion.

My configuration was to have the VPN tunnel as default and exclude particular devices (Xbox, AppleTV, and one iPad; essentially anything that needs to access Netflix).

I hope this helps you in some way, because the wireless coverage and all these VPN options make me feel like I have a router that will do enterprise type work at a (relatively high, but still) consumer price tag (and did the hard work with DDNS and Lets Encrypt making the inbound VPN process pretty straight forward, the hardest part was getting the OVPN file generated by the Rapture to my iPhone, which I accomplished by emailing to myself).

I bought mine from Best Buy and the same applies. I cannot choose any of the DFS Channels. However, it does look like there are requirements that have to be met in order for the device to be able to offer the DFS Channels because of Radar and other things that use these same channels (100 - 140) and to be able to automatically change to a different channel when needed as to not interfere with other FCC Licensed devices.

With DFS - you cannot manually set a DFS channel - leave the device in Auto, and it'll scan in eventually (needs to do a clear air check) - so that solves that.

Keep in mind there are client devices that do not do DFS due to testing overhead... in DFS channels, they can only passively scan, as active probes are treated the same way as an AP...

Case in point - this is an Intel adapter.... reg domain is US...

Code:
Frequencies:
* 5180 MHz [36] (22.0 dBm)
* 5200 MHz [40] (22.0 dBm)
* 5220 MHz [44] (22.0 dBm)
* 5240 MHz [48] (22.0 dBm)
* 5260 MHz [52] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5280 MHz [56] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5300 MHz [60] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5320 MHz [64] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5500 MHz [100] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5520 MHz [104] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5540 MHz [108] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5560 MHz [112] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5580 MHz [116] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5600 MHz [120] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5620 MHz [124] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5640 MHz [128] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5660 MHz [132] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5680 MHz [136] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5700 MHz [140] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5720 MHz [144] (22.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5745 MHz [149] (22.0 dBm)
* 5765 MHz [153] (22.0 dBm)
* 5785 MHz [157] (22.0 dBm)
* 5805 MHz [161] (22.0 dBm)
* 5825 MHz [165] (22.0 dBm)

And a Broadcom Adapter....

Code:
Frequencies:
* 5180 MHz [36] (20.0 dBm)
* 5200 MHz [40] (20.0 dBm)
* 5220 MHz [44] (20.0 dBm)
* 5240 MHz [48] (20.0 dBm)
* 5260 MHz [52] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5280 MHz [56] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5300 MHz [60] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5320 MHz [64] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5500 MHz [100] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5520 MHz [104] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5540 MHz [108] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5560 MHz [112] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5580 MHz [116] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5600 MHz [120] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5620 MHz [124] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5640 MHz [128] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5660 MHz [132] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5680 MHz [136] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5700 MHz [140] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5720 MHz [144] (20.0 dBm) (no IR, radar detection)
* 5745 MHz [149] (20.0 dBm)
* 5765 MHz [153] (20.0 dBm)
* 5785 MHz [157] (20.0 dBm)
* 5805 MHz [161] (20.0 dBm)
* 5825 MHz [165] (20.0 dBm)

Last edited:
This is what happens when you go to a closed proprietary firmware after years of relying on RMerlin and others to fix everything while taking all the credit. ASUS should be made to buy-back every one of these hot-mess nightmare overpriced POS.

This is what happens when you go to a closed proprietary firmware after years of relying on RMerlin and others to fix everything while taking all the credit. ASUS should be made to buy-back every one of these hot-mess nightmare overpriced POS.
A better solution would be more like rmerlin project. Basic software free. Advanced RMerlin for a basic fee? Also a real advanced support group with real developers as support..

REALLY NEEDED. YA IT'S A HOT MESS, BUT THEIR REAL HARD COSTS. 1) Licensing ArmX chip designs, Radio and specialized crap based on basic design and expectacions.

Don't forget laber, manufactoring, etc.

A friend of mine, who also follows snbforums and does advanced Arm coding (a clue same company that does the 36 and 72 core chips) used by Mikrotik,
so he actually told me some the hidden dev costs Like the 5 user arm microcode compiler, that licenses out @ close to 300000 bucks a year.

Developers have families, and have the same expenses you do, Play with some numbers. I suspect development costs of advanced router could top 5 million on
A Rog router.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!