What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello Everyone,

i am facing one issue here

in my 2nd floor i have modem connected to GT -Ac5300 router.
through my internal walls, i have ethernet wiring and have a switch in my closet and form there ethernet wires go through the walls to all my bedrooms.
i have connected another router (RT-AC5300) as ethernet backhaul and configured Aimesh
i have connected my Surfacebook laptop to the router using ethernet wiring ( 1 Gbps network).
when i do the speedtest from the laptop on 3rd floor i am getting only 540 Mbsps Down
when i move files from my internal network from my 2nd floor laptop to 3rd floor laptop, i am getting file transfer speeds to 110 MBPS
but only internet is getting 50% less speed

why am i having this issue and how can i fix it ?

Assume you have a 1Gbps connection? Is the NIC capable? Know I had a laptop that should’ve been, but could never get full speeds. Finally tried another one, and was able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far ver. 21140 is solid. Also if any one gives a rats arse, got my installer Entware modified to add root "/" links for relocating the opt directory, and links so that openssh-sftp-server, and rsync can be installed and work.

NOW IF WE COULD COMPILE THE CODE to add some Merlin features.

GRRRRR

5GHz-2 still goes out after a while

5GHz-2 still goes out after a while

There were faulty versions of this router, really early versions. My first router had that issue and I exchanged it for a new one but looked for a different lot number. I’d almost bet your router is faulty. I’d contact ASUS and try to get a replacement.

@Skyler LaVey when did you got yours? And how can you tell the lot?
I got mine in November 2017 and it's doing well as long as I don't exceed 10 days uptime.
A reload a week keeps me happy!
But that still pisses me off compared to my RT-AC68U that I was reloading only when a new firmware was published.

I sent plenty of feedback, @arthurlien and I exchange plenty of emails...
I got tired after a while and schedule a weekly restart. And no matter what I put into this router, as long as it doesn't exceed 9-10 days uptime, it delivers!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it! It's a super powerful box with a great wireless. Just that, for some weird reasons, one cannot just let it running without a reload. Eventually it will fail! And that's annoying purely from the perspective it's the most interesting box Asus is making.

I’d have to go through my posts to see when I got it. I’ve had it over a year I’m pretty sure (or close to it). You are probably pretty safe having had it just over half a year but from my experience these sit in the shelf a lot longer at stores than other routers, months and months of not selling, I use to check for new lot numbers. I don’t remember how to tell anymore but searching this thread or some others will bring up results (even my post history).

Looking for some help with my Neato Robotic Vac Cleaner. It connects to the internet and you use an App to control it. The neato is connected to my 2.4 gig network. After I pair the Neato it works for about a day, when I try to access it the next day the App never finds the Neato anymore and I have to Re-Pair it to the wifi.

The Support folks sent me this info, but not sure why I would need to mess with any Firewall settings to keep it working. I guess it may be possible its losing the IP address since its DHCP. Any ideas?

Maintaining Wi-Fi connection:
Now we'd like to change some settings to maintain the connection. If a robot is disconnecting (going offline) every day or two from the Wi-Fi, this is most often caused by certain settings on the router.

The firewall settings on a router can be set too high and this can block the return connection from our server. To try resolve this, you can lower the firewall to medium or low (depends on the router type) and retesting.

If the firewall setting cannot be changed, another option would be to set up a DHCP reservation to ensure the robot keeps the same IP address and then forward the inbound ports 80 and 443 to that IP address as this will allow the robot to be seen from our server.

Alternatively on some routers, the robot can be placed in a DMZ (demilitarized zone) which will allow acess to the relative ports the robot needs to maintain connection.

Assume you have a 1Gbps connection? Is the NIC capable? Know I had a laptop that should’ve been, but could never get full speeds. Finally tried another one, and was able to.

Yes my laptop is capable of 1 Gbps Speed. i have Gigabit NIC. when connected to main router i am getting 950 Mbps Speed. not to the Aimesh node

how did you get full speeds with another one. what do you mean by another one. is it another router ?

Yes my laptop is capable of 1 Gbps Speed. i have Gigabit NIC. when connected to main router i am getting 950 Mbps Speed. not to the Aimesh node

how did you get full speeds with another one. what do you mean by another one. is it another router ?

Was using another laptop I had. 1st one was a work laptop that was newer and NIC would support the speeds, but only got 600-700mbps. Personal got 900mbps or so. But yours is obviously good if getting those speeds bypassing the router.

Its finally for sale. I got mine yesterday. Another awesome Asus router. Let me know if you have any questions.
Could you please advice how to change language of latest firmware of GT-AC5300, I bought and use it in Japan? Any possibilities would be great, or it is prohibited for Japan version of AC5300?

Just got a GT-AC5300 and so far everything seems to work, skimming almost 100 pages of posts it seems there may be issues for some use cases and a lot of buried treasure as far as tweak etc.. Are there any recommend consolidated sources of information, tweaks, and is there any custom firmware available?

One thing that has my curiosity right off that I can find anyone commenting on or documented is why DDoS protection is disabled by default. Is it particularly CPU intensive under strenuous DDoS conditions? Is the GT-AC5300's DDoS feature able to use the packet log data to make this more efficient?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!