What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Its not, only the RT-AC5300 is listed;)
DOH! Didn't have my reading glasses on, "RT" not "GT" -- well that makes things a lot simpler... Thanks You!

Back to my previous question: anyone know why DDoS protection is disabled by default? Is it particularly CPU intensive under real DDoS conditions? Is the GT-AC5300's DDoS feature able to use the packet log data to make this more efficient with pattern matching?

anyone know why DDoS protection is disabled by default? Is it particularly CPU intensive under real DDoS conditions? Is the GT-AC5300's DDoS feature able to use the packet log data to make this more efficient with pattern matching?

All the "Game IPS" services are opt in (off by default). I can only speculate as to the reason for this decision, but it can be unsettling seeing some of the false positives that come from these services. For example, if you need "inside the firewall" uPnP, the router security assessment will show this as a risk. This isn't an example of a false positive, but turning off uPnP "inside the firewall" can cause more network problems than the risk it mitigates (ok, please, I'm not trying to debate this and I agree that uPnP is a significant risk if your home network is compromised). But another example is "Malicious Sites Blocking" feature. I've had to turn this feature off in order to ensure that I can get to quite a few "unsubscribe" websites from internet based marketing companies. I get no other telemetry saying that the "unsubscribe" site is malicious (although since I receive most of this spam unsolicited, I can see how the domains might be considered malicious, neither Chrome nor Edge mark the sites as malicious.

I don't think I've been a target for a DDoS attack, but I can tell you that I leave both "Two-Way IPS" and "Infected Device Prevention and Blocking" on with no noticeable impact on router CPU. But this router has a monster of a CPU and I haven't seen anyone ever complain about the processor on this beast keeping up with demands (even from those routing symmetrical gigabit traffic).

All the "Game IPS" services are opt in (off by default). I can only speculate as to the reason for this decision, but it can be unsettling seeing some of the false positives that come from these services. For example, if you need "inside the firewall" uPnP, the router security assessment will show this as a risk. This isn't an example of a false positive, but turning off uPnP "inside the firewall" can cause more network problems than the risk it mitigates (ok, please, I'm not trying to debate this and I agree that uPnP is a significant risk if your home network is compromised). But another example is "Malicious Sites Blocking" feature. I've had to turn this feature off in order to ensure that I can get to quite a few "unsubscribe" websites from internet based marketing companies. I get no other telemetry saying that the "unsubscribe" site is malicious (although since I receive most of this spam unsolicited, I can see how the domains might be considered malicious, neither Chrome nor Edge mark the sites as malicious.

I don't think I've been a target for a DDoS attack, but I can tell you that I leave both "Two-Way IPS" and "Infected Device Prevention and Blocking" on with no noticeable impact on router CPU. But this router has a monster of a CPU and I haven't seen anyone ever complain about the processor on this beast keeping up with demands (even from those routing symmetrical gigabit traffic).
Thanks eJC for the erudite reply!

RT .. router (standard)
GT ... gamers (ROG) router
DSL ... DSL-modem router
RP ... repeater
Thank you again Grisu! I'm amazed with the hardware spec of the GT-AC5300 that there hasn't been more attention given to firmware mods... Just too expensive and not enough of them in the wild, or too flaky?

Thank you again Grisu! I'm amazed with the hardware spec of the GT-AC5300 that there hasn't been more attention given to firmware mods... Just too expensive and not enough of them in the wild, or too flaky?
Honestly in my opinion there likely aren't enough out there.. But from what Merlin has said it doesn't sound likely he will be making any firmware anytime soon.. And maybe he wont even bother at all.. Sounds like it is a whole different set up to create such firmware. But he can explain it better on that point. Personally knowing what I know now about this router and knowing there is no third party firmware available I would have never bought it. That was my mistake on that. Ive totally went a different direction and ordered something else and its not an ASUS product either. Ive had enough of them for awhile..lol.. To be fair though I bought this because im a gamer. This router seems to struggle with that at the very basic level.. maybe I got a bad one. idk.. But ive had a lot of issues with this gem to know when enough is enough..

Honestly in my opinion there likely aren't enough out there.. But from what Merlin has said it doesn't sound likely he will be making any firmware anytime soon.. And maybe he wont even bother at all.. Sounds like it is a whole different set up to create such firmware. But he can explain it better on that point. Personally knowing what I know now about this router and knowing there is no third party firmware available I would have never bought it. That was my mistake on that. Ive totally went a different direction and ordered something else and its not an ASUS product either. Ive had enough of them for awhile..lol.. To be fair though I bought this because im a gamer. This router seems to struggle with that at the very basic level.. maybe I got a bad one. idk.. But ive had a lot of issues with this gem to know when enough is enough..
Hey ZippySkippy -- sounds like we went in on the GT-AC5300 for the same reasons. I (mistakenly) assumed it being an ASUS router it would be popular, there'd be third party firmware, and the specifications and features were pretty impressive.

So far it hasn't given me any problems, in fact it performs much better then the antique I had and even a little better in some use cases then directly connecting my PC to my broad band connection.

That said I'm always interested in something better, this thing is HUGE, heavy, and if it sh*ts the bed as well, I'll be looking for an alternative too. What did you like and get as a replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:
most popular with good hardware and support by Merlin is RT-AC86U for now (as replacement for most common RT-AC68U).
Thank you again Grisu! I really like the form factor of this thing:

917%2BXM54XnL._SL1500_.jpg

Looks like it would be pretty nice as far as how much desk space it consumes -- but then I saw this:

For-ASUS-RT-AC68U-EX6200-AC15-Computer-router-cooling-fan-DC5V-70-70-15mm-USB-fans.jpg_640x640.jpg

Some overheating issues here? :D Is this perhaps why the GT-AC5300 is such a monster hardware wise?

Last edited:
no, they only use their rated ranges what some think is too much, but it is ok like it is.
As long as not more than 80-85°C wont hurt them.

Hey ZippySkippy -- sounds like we went in on the GT-AC5300 for the same reasons. I (mistakenly) assumed it being an ASUS router it would be popular, there'd be third party firmware, and the specifications and features were pretty impressive.

So far it hasn't given me any problems, in fact it performs much better then the antique I had and even a little better in some use cases then directly connecting my PC to my broad band connection.

That said I'm always interested in something better, this thing is HUGE, heavy, and if it sh*ts the bed as well, I'll be looking for an alternative too. What did you like and get as a replacement?
Im totally with you.. Ive always had good luck with ASUS. They do make some good hardware. But after thinking more on it they really are not good on the software end of things. And to be honest they never really were. Most people that had prior used ASUS routers almost always used an alternate firmware.. And that is what made ASUS look good and really perform good.. Now that we have the GT imo this really shows how poor there own firmware really is. And there is no current firmware options available.. Which really has had a very negative impact on this particular model.. I honestly have had so many issues arise with this particular router I could write a book about it.. But with that said to be fair it is very possible I got a bad router. There was a string of these that from my understanding had issues. I noticed early on that when this router first hit the market there was a very high return rate.. And those that returned them for another ended up to have the very same issues there first one had.. I have switched gears and totally went a different direction.. Ive done a lot of digging and have decided to look at who makes good software for gaming.. Software that really has the gamer in mind and thinks like us and plays online games like us.. Well there really is only one.. Netduma.. They have gone above and beyond to actually make firmware for gamers. There are many useful features that can and do impact ones gaming experience. So I ordered the Netgear XR500 that has the new Netduma IOS.. I should get it in the next few days and I will dig into everything that software has to offer. I don't want to brag them up anymore then what I have until I give it a full understanding and test run.. But reports really look good from online gamers.. I am glad to hear though that your current GT router is working for you. Make no mistake its a beast and has good potential. Good luck!

Im totally with you.. Ive always had good luck with ASUS. They do make some good hardware. But after thinking more on it they really are not good on the software end of things. And to be honest they never really were. Most people that had prior used ASUS routers almost always used an alternate firmware.. And that is what made ASUS look good and really perform good.. Now that we have the GT imo this really shows how poor there own firmware really is. And there is no current firmware options available.. Which really has had a very negative impact on this particular model.. I honestly have had so many issues arise with this particular router I could write a book about it.. But with that said to be fair it is very possible I got a bad router. There was a string of these that from my understanding had issues. I noticed early on that when this router first hit the market there was a very high return rate.. And those that returned them for another ended up to have the very same issues there first one had.. I have switched gears and totally went a different direction.. Ive done a lot of digging and have decided to look at who makes good software for gaming.. Software that really has the gamer in mind and thinks like us and plays online games like us.. Well there really is only one.. Netduma.. They have gone above and beyond to actually make firmware for gamers. There are many useful features that can and do impact ones gaming experience. So I ordered the Netgear XR500 that has the new Netduma IOS.. I should get it in the next few days and I will dig into everything that software has to offer. I don't want to brag them up anymore then what I have until I give it a full understanding and test run.. But reports really look good from online gamers.. I am glad to hear though that your current GT router is working for you. Make no mistake its a beast and has good potential. Good luck!
Cool! Spec and feature wise the Netgear XR500 looks great, cosmetically and functionally it looks like it's just as much of n eye sore and desktop wart as the ASUS GT-AC5300 -- seriously ugly product package design, space wasty, and they're both gonna look like dust bunny scoops inside a year; I wish they'd just put these things in a nice simple metal box! :D

have the fixed the nat issues yet, ie, adding an option to allow for a setting to change to full cone nat?

Cool! Spec and feature wise the Netgear XR500 looks great, cosmetically and functionally it looks like it's just as much of n eye sore and desktop wart as the ASUS GT-AC5300 -- seriously ugly product package design, space wasty, and they're both gonna look like dust bunny scoops inside a year; I wish they'd just put these things in a nice simple metal box! :D
Ha ha idk why they are starting to design routers to look space age alien looking.. Maybe they watched to much Fire in the Sky! lol.. But a few of my friends asked me what the heck is that! My reply..Thats my router..lol..

have the fixed the nat issues yet, ie, adding an option to allow for a setting to change to full cone nat?
Vexira, Could you explain to me this issue referring to a full cone nat? Im under a full cone nat but was wondering what issues this is causing with this router? Thanks!

Just got my GT-AC5300. Working pretty good so far. Have gotten the best internet speeds yet with this monster. I have a 1gbps/1gbps fiber connection and was having trouble finding a router that could saturate that kind of a link.
Tried the Netgear X10 R9000 cause it had a quad core CPU also but I friggin HATE Netgear interface.

Yes,

Ports 5 & 6 Firmware 9.0.0.4.382_19612

If it helps anyone, here's what I had to do to get link aggregation working. I set my GT-AC5300 ROG bonding policy to Destination bonding as default caused the network to stop routing things properly and so did Source Bonding. This is found under LAN>Switch Control>. Jumbo disalbed (although that shouldnt matter), bonding Link Aggregation Enabled, Bonding Policy Destination Bonding. Of course cables plugged into ports 5&6. THEN I went into the DS418play into Control Panel>Network>Network Interface>Create>Create Bond and only then could I select both nics. Also Edit the bond (can't remember if its before or after) to enable 802.3ad.
Screenshot from 2018-08-18 12-57-55.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-18 12-57-56.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-18 13-33-59.png

I had an interesting upgrade experience with the 3.0.0.4.384. 32738.... Would say the first one that I have ever experienced with Asus stock firmware and the GT. Went to "Check" tab to check for new firmware (under Administration--> Firmware Upgrade tabs)...then I got the "downloading..xx%" screen. This went fine then I after that I got the "Upgrading...." percentage bar which went fine as well. Then I got the message to "reboot manually" which I did. Only to find out that the FW version displayed was still the old one (21140)!

This time I decided to download the new FW in a folder and was able to upload it manually. After that the upgrade went just fine and I am now able to see the new FW version displayed on the router screens. After this, I initialized and re-entered all my settings manually, including those VPN ones.

All and all everything working just fine so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!