What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is the piece of advice that I really needed when I was first setting up outbound VPN. So as Maahfu, suggested, make sure the default server is your outbound VPN provider and it is Activated. Make sure you activate each of the client exceptions (and that they have fixed IP addresses) and then make sure you click apply. I thought clicking Activate (by itself) would do something. I realized that this configuration screen is very picky. The VPN connection has to be established first. Then the exceptions have to be activated. And you have to click Apply each time.

Yes I couldn’t agree more. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: eJC
For those of you who have VPN clients set up with GT, do you have any devices set under the Exceptions tab? I am trying to set up my Bluray player so it connects to Internet only (bypasses VPN) but would like to have all other devices go through the VPN tunnel. I have tried both setups below:

1. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but have left the Default connection bubble checked under Internet entry. The Internet entry shows that I am Connected. However, this setup requires me to enter each wireless device I own under the Exception List tab and connect them through VPN. There I also add my Bluray to connect through internet. This setup allows my player to connect to Internet but the entire process is very time consuming since I have to add each device and choose the VPN service for each of them.

2. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but this time I have this entry's bubble checked as the Default (and not the Internet one). The Internet entry still shows that I am Connected. This works great because as soon as I activate the VPN all my devices connect to the tunnel without needing to be manually added to the Exception tab below. The problem is that my Bluray does not play well with the VPN so even when I add it under the Exception tab to access the Internet (same as in Setup 1), it doesn't connect to it no matter what...The other interesting thing is that when I use this setup I do notice that when my laptop is connected to VPN, all the websites I access seem to load a lot faster. Under the Setup 1, webpages take a lot longer to load.

Again, my Bluray connection problem is resolved in the Setup 1 but I so wished I could make this work under Setup 2 so I wouldn't have to manually add each device under Exception List and designate there on whether they need to connect to VPN or not. Plus, I feel that surfing the Internet is lot faster with Setup 2.

Any suggestion on how to makes this work under Setup 2? Or is the Setup 1 the only option to allow the Bluray player to access the Internet?

Thank you!

Following up with this again to see if anyone has any other suggestions on how to make this work. I keep trying the Setup 2 (see above) to get my Blu-ray player to connect to internet but when I do so YouTube, Pandora and other apps installed access Internet just fine. When I try to access Netflix, it doesn’t no matter what I do.

Anything I am doing wrong here?

Following up with this again to see if anyone has any other suggestions on how to make this work. I keep trying the Setup 2 (see above) to get my Blu-ray player to connect to internet but when I do so YouTube, Pandora and other apps installed access Internet just fine. When I try to access Netflix, it doesn’t no matter what I do.

Could it be that I am using the VPN DNS settings and not the “connect to DNS severs automatically” option instead? But when I access Netflix through my MacBook which is using the VPN tunnel I am still able to access and watch Netflix (via Chrome).

Hi guys, first post here. Just received this last Friday, and was able to set it up and seems to be running ok so far. One thing that seemed extremely weird was that when I was about to power it on, there was no actual Power Button in it, so I just used a clip to press the switch on. I'm unsure about returning this (Amazon) since the router works, and I almost never turn these things off, but I cannot understand why this didn't come with an actual button. The manufacturing date for this is recent (May '18 I believe), so I'm not sure if this is how these things are shipping now or if I just received a 'defective' one. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

Hi guys, first post here. Just received this last Friday, and was able to set it up and seems to be running ok so far. One thing that seemed extremely weird was that when I was about to power it on, there was no actual Power Button in it, so I just used a clip to press the switch on. I'm unsure about returning this (Amazon) since the router works, and I almost never turn these things off, but I cannot understand why this didn't come with an actual button. The manufacturing date for this is recent (May '18 I believe), so I'm not sure if this is how these things are shipping now or if I just received a 'defective' one. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

Can you hear it shaking around loose inside the case?

OE

Is Netflix blocking VPN? Amazon does and I think I heard some VPN servers are blocked for Netflix.

Maybe they changed the power button.. But on mine it has one you press with your finger.. But I also have a older one. I hope that is the only thing you encounter with your router. Maybe it is floating around inside the case like suggested.. Maybe someone will chime in on here that has a newer version of this router like yourself.. But if that's your only issue with this router then I would be happy.. Good luck!

Is Netflix blocking VPN? Amazon does and I think I heard some VPN servers are blocked for Netflix.

Yes Netflix does do that with some severs but if I have setup my Blu-ray as an exception to access only the Internet and not VPN why would this happen? I able to navigate past the login page and into different movies, etc., but as soon as I hit “Play” it uploads up to a certain point and then it says “you may not be connected to Internet”. When I test the connection features it says all the Netflix servers are connected. Also Blu-ray and Pandora access the Internet just fine.

Also, the interesting part is that I have my MacBook set up to access the VPN and I am still able to access Netflix so the VPN may not be the issue.

I have a feeling that the Exception piece does not work well on Setup 2. Went back to Setup 1 and it works just fine. Not sure why that is with Internet set up as default instead of VPN. The pain of this is that now I have to add each device as exception to access the VPN while Blu-ray accesses the Internet.

Maybe they changed the power button.. But on mine it has one you press with your finger.. But I also have a older one. I hope that is the only thing you encounter with your router. Maybe it is floating around inside the case like suggested.. Maybe someone will chime in on here that has a newer version of this router like yourself.. But if that's your only issue with this router then I would be happy.. Good luck!

It seems like it just fell down. I'm uploading 2 pictures for reference, was the best I could do. Since it is working OK (so far) I'm hesitant to return it. Also, antenna connections seem a bit too fragile.

Attachments

• 20180903_182237.jpg
    20180903_182237.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 536
  • 20180903_182439.jpg
    20180903_182439.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 322
It seems like it just fell down. I'm uploading 2 pictures for reference, was the best I could do. Since it is working OK (so far) I'm hesitant to return it. Also, antenna connections seem a bit too fragile.

I would definitely return it and not think twice about it.

No, nothing loose on the inside. My guess is that it just fell down, but how, I don't know. It wasn't loose in the box either; just too weird.

Typically, the case would capture the button against the PCB switch. Either it fell away unnoticed into the case during assembly, or it was never included. It would be nice to have... you'll have to decide what you want to do about it. Maybe it's wedged inside somewhere... you could talk it over with ASUS tech support.

OE

Typically, the case would capture the button against the PCB switch. Either it fell away unnoticed into the case during assembly, or it was never included. It would be nice to have... you'll have to decide what you want to do about it. Maybe it's wedged inside somewhere... you could talk it over with ASUS tech support.

OE
Thanks. I did contact Amazon about this and they offered their typical $10 credit for my trouble (plus the option to return it of course) . Since I've seen many people complain about this router here and elsewhere, I guess I'll wait a little and see how it goes in general and then make the decision before the return window closes.

I looked at your pictures.. From what I can tell it maybe the button wasn't put on the end of the switch itself or it broke off very clean.. But imo the switch itself looks to be intact. Its just missing the button itself that likely slides onto the little shaft of the switch. As far as the antennas im not exactly sure what you mean by fragile? Do all the connections for the antennas seem that way? I would just look the router over carefully and make sure it doesn't have any signs of other damage as well. Scuffs scrapes.. Things that might show signs of miss handling.. I can understand your hesitation of returning it. But just look it over very closely for things that I stated above and decide from there. I haven't had any luck with my router. But it also was a very early made one. I still have it but I don't use it anymore. I bought something else. I will keep the ASUS and hopefully ASUS themselves will trade me a new one and then I can give that one a try or keep it as a back up.. Good luck with your router and keep us posted here overtime on it performance. Thanks!

For those of you who have VPN clients set up with GT, do you have any devices set under the Exceptions tab? I am trying to set up my Bluray player so it connects to Internet only (bypasses VPN) but would like to have all other devices go through the VPN tunnel. I have tried both setups below:

1. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but have left the Default connection bubble checked under Internet entry. The Internet entry shows that I am Connected. However, this setup requires me to enter each wireless device I own under the Exception List tab and connect them through VPN. There I also add my Bluray to connect through internet. This setup allows my player to connect to Internet but the entire process is very time consuming since I have to add each device and choose the VPN service for each of them.

2. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but this time I have this entry's bubble checked as the Default (and not the Internet one). The Internet entry still shows that I am Connected. This works great because as soon as I activate the VPN all my devices connect to the tunnel without needing to be manually added to the Exception tab below. The problem is that my Bluray does not play well with the VPN so even when I add it under the Exception tab to access the Internet (same as in Setup 1), it doesn't connect to it no matter what...The other interesting thing is that when I use this setup I do notice that when my laptop is connected to VPN, all the websites I access seem to load a lot faster. Under the Setup 1, webpages take a lot longer to load.

Again, my Bluray connection problem is resolved in the Setup 1 but I so wished I could make this work under Setup 2 so I wouldn't have to manually add each device under Exception List and designate there on whether they need to connect to VPN or not. Plus, I feel that surfing the Internet is lot faster with Setup 2.

Any suggestion on how to makes this work under Setup 2? Or is the Setup 1 the only option to allow the Bluray player to access the Internet?

Thank you!

SOLVED:

Was able to solve this issue this under SETUP 2 (enable all devices to go through the VPN tunnel all at once while allowing certain others to only use the Internet):

1. Go to your device (bluray, etc) and change setting from Auto IP to Manual IP. Give it an IP address you like (or that you will be able to remember;))
2. Reboot your device
3. In your router, under the VPN Fusion tab, select your VPN tunnel and make it your "Default" connection (check bubble). ****DO NOT ACTIVATE THE VPN YET*** (leave gray minus sign as is). Select Apply.
4. Under the Exceptions Tab click on the + sign to find your device and add it there. Note this will also add your device IP to the DHCP list (see LAN tab)
5. Under the Exceptions Tab, ACTIVATE YOUR DEVICE (click to green check mark) and Apply.
6. Test your device's connection to Internet (login to Netflix, Youtube, etc).
7. If your device is connected and it is working properly then go up to Server List Tab and ACTIVATE YOUR VPN (green check mark is on). Leave this connection as the DEFAULT one (bubble check).
8. Select Apply
9. Now all of your devices will be connected through VPN all at once except the device you specified to access to the Internet.
10. Test to see if your other devices are connected to VPN by simply running Speedtest and look at the servers that it picks up automatically OR go to your VPN homepage and if it says "secure connection" (or anything similar) that means it your device is going through the VPN tunnel.
11. Check dnsleaktest.com from any of the VPN connected devices to see if your DNS is leaking.

This is a little different that what the VPN Fusion instructions suggest for this setup but it works.

Marin

Reactions: eJC
Hi All,

Since latest firmware 384.32738 i have constant reboots of the router, 5-6 times a day.
Yes it's a gaming router right..., but seems it cannot stay running and your game is over ...
This is really getting annoying ... Went back to previous firmware but also there reboots ...
Even after reset, no solution....
After one year of sh*t, I 'm really fed up with this router, never had those issues with the Rt-Ac68u.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at your pictures.. From what I can tell it maybe the button wasn't put on the end of the switch itself or it broke off very clean.. But imo the switch itself looks to be intact. Its just missing the button itself that likely slides onto the little shaft of the switch. As far as the antennas im not exactly sure what you mean by fragile? Do all the connections for the antennas seem that way? I would just look the router over carefully and make sure it doesn't have any signs of other damage as well. Scuffs scrapes.. Things that might show signs of miss handling.. I can understand your hesitation of returning it. But just look it over very closely for things that I stated above and decide from there. I haven't had any luck with my router. But it also was a very early made one. I still have it but I don't use it anymore. I bought something else. I will keep the ASUS and hopefully ASUS themselves will trade me a new one and then I can give that one a try or keep it as a back up.. Good luck with your router and keep us posted here overtime on it performance. Thanks!
Yeah, so far, so good, other than the missing power button everything is ok, no signs of mishandling at all. About the antennas, I don't know, they just seem flimsy compared to the ones on my prior TP Link Archer, although those were not removable (and different). About the router itself, the Hardware version is still A, but manufacturing date is May18, I'm on the last firmware version and have not experienced any trouble so far, but I have not tried every option on the router yet due to lack of time.

Hi All,

Since latest firmware 384.32738 i have constant reboots of the router, 5-6 times a day.
Yes it's a gaming router right..., but seems it cannot stay running and your game is over ...
This is really getting annoying ... Went back to previous firmware but also there reboots ...
Even after reset, no solution....
After one year of sh*t, I 'm really fed up with this router, never had those issues with the Rt-Ac68u.

Could you send feedback with System log, WiFi log by Administration -> Feedback?

Arthur Lien, Is it possible for me to return mine for another one directly from you guys?

Thanks!

Before to contact you directly, we need to do some evaluation first. Do you have any problem to send feedback? The feedback shall be included System log, WiFi log.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!