What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

and my Netflix (through my Bluray) always worked wonderfully. Unfortunately, the RT-AC5300 does not give the VPN connection speeds I get with GT-AC5300, that is why I chose to use the GT.

Again, the only option that works is Setup 1 which means I choose the Internet as my Default connection on the Server list and then manually add all my devices (35-40 of them!!) into the Exception list and specify there what tunnel which one uses (Internet or VPN). However, I seem to experience quite a lag when surfing to different websites and connections are a bit slower.

Arghhhhh!!:mad::mad::mad:
Refund and get the RT-AC86U the best router from ASUS (It is not the best router in the world...), but they NEVER fix Adaptive QoS (I mean rework because is a piece of), NEVER fix traditional QoS (is broken) or NEVER fix VPN traffic (bypass Adaptive QoS without limit and traffic reverse).

Let this thread die.

Last edited:
If I follow exactly the instructions in VPN Fusion GUI and hit Apply after I activated the VPN (first) and the Exception (second), then Netflix does not work at all.

Do you have any other device on which to try this (laptop, phone, tablet)?

Have you looked at the system log when you shut off the Blu-ray player to see if there are any errors?

Yes I have tried it with my MacBook and it works well to my surprise. Can’t figure out why it would do this with my Blu-ray. Have not looked at my system log, to be honest. I probably should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came across these messages below on the Asus ROG Forums and I am very confused now. The person asking the question is basically trying to make SETUP 2 work just like me. However, based on the administrator response it looks like SETUP 2 will not work. Then why have a default bubble option next to the VPN tunnel if you can't have it serve as a default connection??

But then I thought some of you were able to make Setup 2 work....so then why this is not working in my case??

1. Hi,
    I have a problem with the VPN fusion. It works perfectly to connect to my VPN-provider as long as I don't choose it as "default" in the VPN fusion. The problem is that I am running a collective and we have a LOT of new units coming on to the network all the time which means that it is not practical to add each and everyone to the VPN manually... I would much rather have the VPN as the "default" and make exceptions for things that shouldn't go through the VPN. (In case someone does something they shouldn't I don't want it to come back to me.)

Does anyone have a solution to try on this? I tried to contact ASUS support but they never came back to me...

2. 06-13-2018
    user-offline.png
    Administrator:
    Sorry, VPN Fusion will not work like that. Typically, people prefer to have a faster connection for general use, especially when gaming is concerned (it is a gaming router after all).
  3. For those of you who have VPN clients set up with GT, do you have any devices set under the Exceptions tab? I am trying to set up my Bluray player so it connects to Internet only (bypasses VPN) but would like to have all other devices go through the VPN tunnel. I have tried both setups below:
    [*]
    1. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but have left the Default connection bubble checked under Internet entry. The Internet entry shows that I am Connected. However, this setup requires me to enter each wireless device I own under the Exception List tab and connect them through VPN. There I also add my Bluray to connect through internet. This setup allows my player to connect to Internet but the entire process is very time consuming since I have to add each device and choose the VPN service for each of them.

2. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but this time I have this entry's bubble checked as the Default (and not the Internet one). The Internet entry still shows that I am Connected. This works great because as soon as I activate the VPN all my devices connect to the tunnel without needing to be manually added to the Exception tab below. The problem is that my Bluray does not play well with the VPN so even when I add it under the Exception tab to access the Internet (same as in Setup 1), it doesn't connect to it no matter what...The other interesting thing is that when I use this setup I do notice that when my laptop is connected to VPN, all the websites I access seem to load a lot faster. Under the Setup 1, webpages take a lot longer to load.

Again, my Bluray connection problem is resolved in the Setup 1 but I so wished I could make this work under Setup 2 so I wouldn't have to manually add each device under Exception List and designate there on whether they need to connect to VPN or not. Plus, I feel that surfing the Internet is lot faster with Setup 2.

Any suggestion on how to makes this work under Setup 2? Or is the Setup 1 the only option to allow the Bluray player to access the Internet?

Thank you!

Came across these messages below on the Asus ROG Forums and I am very confused now. The person asking the question is basically trying to make SETUP 2 work just like me. However, based on the administrator response it looks like SETUP 2 will not work. Then why have a default bubble option next to the VPN tunnel if you can't have it serve as a default connection??

But then I thought some of you were able to make Setup 2 work....so then why this is not working in my case??

1. Hi,
    I have a problem with the VPN fusion. It works perfectly to connect to my VPN-provider as long as I don't choose it as "default" in the VPN fusion. The problem is that I am running a collective and we have a LOT of new units coming on to the network all the time which means that it is not practical to add each and everyone to the VPN manually... I would much rather have the VPN as the "default" and make exceptions for things that shouldn't go through the VPN. (In case someone does something they shouldn't I don't want it to come back to me.)

Does anyone have a solution to try on this? I tried to contact ASUS support but they never came back to me...

2. 06-13-2018
    user-offline.png
    Administrator:
    Sorry, VPN Fusion will not work like that. Typically, people prefer to have a faster connection for general use, especially when gaming is concerned (it is a gaming router after all).

Mine works either way. After I make a device change I have to reboot the device, sometimes router too.

Mine works either way. After I make a device change I have to reboot the device, sometimes router too.

What FW version do you use? And what router version do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone else confirm smart connect is broken with the new firmware (3.0.0.4.384.32799). I use to have 5Ghz Smart connect as my option and it would only keep the 5.4Ghz bands on, 2.4ghz would stay off and it would not be a target band in the smart connect settings. Now 2.4Ghz stays on and it still is a target band in smart connect. I (unfortunately) have two GT-5300, they are in Aimesh mode and I always initialize them to factory after each update to make sure its running from a clean slate.

Installed 32799 firmware, disabled wireless roaming options to avoid disconnection, limiter upload qos now work but adaptive qos have terrible bufferbloat, traditional qos work better than adaptive.

@wickedny5
I have SmartConnect only between 2 5GHz radios. 2.4 is not part of it and it has its own SSID (for Kindle, those are the only devices in my house without 5GHz).
And it works just fine in 3.0.0.4.384.32799. Clients are mainly on 2nd 5GHz radio, but when conditions are met, I have some clients on 1st 5GHz.

It doesn't make too much sense to define smart connect for 2.4 if you want that interface to be off. It sounds like a bug the fact that being part of smart connect doesn't keep 2.4 down as you configure it.

besides that, I've manage my disconnections problems tunning my smart connection rules. I don't have any problems with adaptative QOS, but I'am using the customized form.

Attachments

• 2018-09-21.png
    2018-09-21.png
    338.3 KB · Views: 686
  • 2018-09-21.png
    2018-09-21.png
    338.3 KB · Views: 694
besides that, I've manage my disconnections problems tunning my smart connection rules. I don't have any problems with adaptative QOS, but I'am using the customized form.

Thanks for posting, could you post a higher resolution so I can read it please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting, could you post a higher resolution so I can read it please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though this link is for the RT-AC3200, it had no good settings for the Smart Connect feature, so SmallNetBuilder wrote an unofficial manual for it. I just used the settings shown in the images and they seemed to work best for me on both my RT-AC3200 and my GT-AC5300. I think it would be a safe assumption that these settings would be good general settings on any ASUS router with Smart Connect.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...us-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-the-missing-manual

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!