What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After disabling nearly everything, I'm still getting ~5min of use before it drops and reconnects. This is on both wired and wireless. How can this $400 contraption work so poorly????

So frustrated at this thing.

My first one was bad. Try exchanging it. You have the latest firmware right?

What was the router state? Any LEDs on?

Not good for a new product release, seems to me something really wrong to affect so many units...

Here's the entire GT-AC5300 FW structure for further analysis:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ar5303ue4t7kkrb/gt-ac5300_fs.tar.bz2 (725MB)

The OS / Kernel is 64bit like previously discussed, but ARM architecture / instructions curiously still ARMv7-a, this should be changed to ARMv8.

This is not a "generic" Cortex-a53 based chipset - it displays some characteristics of an A53, but it's also something unique... perhaps a bit of Vulcan in there? The question of Vulcan after the Avago transaction hasn't really been answered -

(Vulcan was Broadcom's data center scale ARMv8 cores similar to Cortex-A57)

Which might explain why when one looks at cpuinfo, it's a broadcom, not ARM...

With the timeline of when this chip would be developed, and things after the fact... it's a bit of a snowflake - unique within the ARM chipsets - much like what Apple, Marvell, and Qualcomm has done with their own efforts...

Interesting...

Specs. They share the fact they are ARM cpu's and thats it. Wait for Tim's tear down, then the fun will start.

GT-AC5300
Broadcom BCM49408 (1.8 GHz, 4 cores)

Broadcom claims this chipset is "Broadcom-B53"...

DMIPS/Hz - it's not aligning with other Broadcom generic Cortex-A53's - which suggests is something different...

Don't know why I went through so much trouble getting this thing. I'm going back to my original 5300. This thing is plagued with issues, random pausing during gaming, wifi drop outs other weird issues. Rebooted and wifi was gone completely. Rebooted it again and wifi finally showed back up.

Broadcom claims this chipset is "Broadcom-B53"...

DMIPS/Hz - it's not aligning with other Broadcom generic Cortex-A53's - which suggests is something different...

What do you think speed wise, is it powerful? To me it seems faster then the last one. I would love more specs on it. Also if Asus adds 2.5Gbps Ethernet I will be very happy. This should be the fastest CPU in a home wireless router.

It could also be interesting to see how it will perform against GT-AC9600 CPU. (AL5140 Cortex-A15)

Last edited:
what that GT-AC9600 would be a beast just given the name alone lol. Am I the only one having bufferbloat issues on the router? It's less than my rt-ac3200 but still only gets a D on dsl reports. The firmware has a lot of work (you guys could do so much better) but I was able to get it more stable by the method outlined a bit earlyer in the thread: Unplugging my modem and router for over an hour only having the ethernet cord connected to the wan port, plug in the modem and wait 10 min or so, then finally plug in the router.

I don't see an option to quote which is weird. But I need someone that has both the RT-AC5300 and the new Rapture 5300 to do a comparison for me.

For kicks I picked up the AC5300 (none gt) as Merlin said they have the same wireless radio's the RT 5300 and the GT5300 just the CPU is a quad core 1.8Ghz + the new software etc and from whatever I see on my network the CPU Usage is always low so I figured I'd try the AC5300 first.

Okay I have to tell you Merlin I am noticing a MAJOR Difference on my network vs just having the AC88u + AC68R Combo. My Ping times in Over watch have gone down to 13MS!!! from 20-28! that's crazy. My PC is exclusively on the second radio while I put all the other devices on the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands and the AC88U now has become the repeater instead of the AC68R. Not only that I notice web pages loading faster on all the devices and my speeds have improved throughout the house having the AC88U instead of the AC68R as the repeater.

So my network was bottle necked big time by my previous setup. I mean nearly a 50% reducing in ping times? + massively increased download speeds on PC's on the other side of the house that's worth it.

Now will I see Any More improvement to invest in a GT5300? Or is it going to be the same thing as the RT5300?

Now the RT-AC5300 + AC88U Is destroying my previous AC88U+AC68R Setup.

My parents have a fairly large house 2,500 Sq/ft or so and I will tell you that throughput is much better on the far end and this is the only router I have in my set up. Pings stay at around 14.

Hypothetically speaking and if you were a baller... a RT/AC set up would be probably as good as you can get when it comes to AP.

I do see that loads are very low on this new router. My comparison is a bit skewed because I was using a firmware that let me change TX power and Overclock (indirectly had to use a script) and my old AC was clocked at 1.8ghz with memory at 1ghz.

This speed test is from across the house, up stairs on the furthest side... with a iPhone 5s!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2081033964

You could do what I did, order the GT on Amazon and test it out as you nave a month do do so (I did this with my old AC for a month because I couldn't wait for the new one lol) and see if you see increases enough to justify the purchase. I will tell you one thing yes there needs to be work done with the firmware (Merlin!!!!) from asus but once they iron out those bugs this will be the big boy on the block for a pretty long time. I originally purchedsed the nighthawk 10 and the GT while buggier is faster than the hawk

... I originally purchedsed the nighthawk 10 and the GT while buggier is faster than the hawk

Meh my X10 is faster, better coverage, and lower pings than the GT was. I do hate the firmware on the crapgear though. I think I will stay with x10 till verdict is out on the 9600 coming out. GT didn't seem stable yet, but I am sure they will iron out whatever was going on in the firmware.

Meh my X10 is faster, better coverage, and lower pings than the GT was. I do hate the firmware on the crapgear though. I think I will stay with x10 till verdict is out on the 9600 coming out. GT didn't seem stable yet, but I am sure they will iron out whatever was going on in the firmware.

No offense the that router lasted 10 mins before I boxed it up and took it back to bestbuy. I love smart connect and X10 did not do it. The firmware looks like the same firmware they used in 2004. The QOS was terrible.

I did like the SFP port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!