What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No offense the that router lasted 10 mins before I boxed it up and took it back to bestbuy. I love smart connect and X10 did not do it. The firmware looks like the same firmware they used in 2004. The QOS was terrible.

I did like the SFP port.

Yeah I wish they would make the X10 equivalent with duel 5ghz bands because I didn't really see any use for the 60ghz band for me

It could also be interesting to see how it will perform against GT-AC9600 CPU. (AL5140 Cortex-A15)

Might be more interesting than people realize...

AsusWRT, with these devices, is on a new baseline code - Broadcom has taken some time to sort out and profile performance metrics - nothing against Quantenna or Annapurna Labs, but this new Broadcom platform is interesting to say the least.

Alpine, it's still ARMv7-a... that being said, their cores are big and fast, but looking at the ARMv8 stuff on the Broadcom solution.

interesting... I upgraded my modem to wall connection with a new shielded coax cable and also upgraded the router link from cat 6 to 7 and there was a tangible difference in speed. Tested from the same exact spot actually

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2081843081

Wonder what my hardlined CPU will do with under these changes.

*for reference I pay for 200/35 speeds with 16x4 streams. Maybe I'll tack on 300/35 speeds and see if my parents see see the difference in the bill lmfao.

Asus GT-AC5300 WAN Cable not Plugged In - Or could not connect to your Cable / FIOS / Internet provider

** SOLVED** REPLACED CAT 6A cable with CAT 5e - So TRY Different Network Cables

Being a Proud Owner of RT-AC5300, i was very disappointed with GT-AC5300 Launch and all the problems users have been facing. I was I guess one of the first buy at Best Buy when the product released last week, and wasn't able to connect to my Verizon FIOS WAN for some reason.

So long story short after going through 4 Different GT-AC5300 Routers, and still could not connect WAN, I thought to replace my CAT 6 Cable with CAT 5e, which Verizon originally installed at the time to FIOS installation, and GUESS What it did the trick. Bam! router was able to connect to FIOS WAN / Internet in few seconds without any problem.

Following Picture:

2 x GT-AC5300 Routers
1 x RT-AC5300 Router
1 x Linksys WRT3200 Router

GT-AC5300 Price DROPPED TO $291 :0

img-4570.jpg

img-4564.jpg

Both GT-AC5300 and RT-AC5300 are same Size.

img-4565.jpg

ASUS GT-AC5300 Antenna's are Taller than RT-AC5300.

img-4566.jpg

REPLACED CAT-6A with CAT-5E (So there is some compatibility issue with some cables)

img-4571.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4570.JPG
    IMG_4570.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:
Heads up to anyone who bought this at Best Buy last week. Its on sale right now for $292.99 (Yes the new model) I think they marked the wrong version down. Either way I contacted BB and they refunded me $111+ tax

My 3rd router works with all the same cables I tried on the first two. By this router is plaqued with issues. I've moved back to my original 5300.

Heads up to anyone who bought this at Best Buy last week. Its on sale right now for $292.99 (Yes the new model) I think they marked the wrong version down. Either way I contacted BB and they refunded me $111+ tax

I originally bought mine from Newegg... just bought one from Best Buy

Asus GT-AC5300 WAN Cable not Plugged In - Or could not connect to your Cable / FIOS / Internet provider

** SOLVED** REPLACED CAT 6A cable with CAT 5e - So TRY Different Network Cables

Being a Proud Owner of RT-AC5300, i was very disappointed with GT-AC5300 Launch and all the problems users have been facing. I was I guess one of the first buy at Best Buy when the product released last week, and wasn't able to connect to my Verizon FIOS WAN for some reason.

So long story short after going through 4 Different GT-AC5300 Routers, and still could not connect WAN, I thought to replace my CAT 6 Cable with CAT 5e, which Verizon originally installed at the time to FIOS installation, and GUESS What it did the trick. Bam! router was able to connect to FIOS WAN / Internet in few seconds without any problem.

Following Picture:

2 x GT-AC5300 Routers
1 x RT-AC5300 Router
1 x Linksys WRT3200 Router

GT-AC5300 Price DROPPED TO $291 :0

img-4570.jpg

img-4564.jpg

Both GT-AC5300 and RT-AC5300 are same Size.

img-4565.jpg

ASUS GT-AC5300 Antenna's are Taller than RT-AC5300.

img-4566.jpg

REPLACED CAT-6A with CAT-5E (So there is some compatibility issue with some cables)

img-4571.jpg

Now that I have upgraded the Firmware and Cat-5E Cable. Things are looking stable, no problem so far and it has been 24 hrs. It seems like stable as RT-AC5300, and Wireless Range is same.

My reason to upgrade from RT - > GT is to utilize Quad Core + 1GB RAM for NAS + 150Mbps File Transfer Speed. I will upload some comparison later.

Odd I will test this theory when I get home. I wonder why this is and if it is hardware related or firmware. Ether way we should let Asus know about this issue.

Check the cable type. (UDP, STP or FTP)

Last edited:
Seen it now on the posted pictures, the problematic cable is STP type.

That one is CAT7.

Asus ships their router with an Ethernet cable.

USB 3.0 TESTING:

GT-AC5300 USB 3.0 WRITE SPEED over WIFI - (Sucks) as compare to RT-AC5300 - Asus claimed GT would exceed 150MB/s USB 3.0 read / write speeds with this new platform.

RT-AC5300 Write Speed to USB 3.0 7200RPM HDD = 25MB/s
GT-AC5300 Write Speed to USB 3.0 7200RPM HDD = 12MB/s

gt-ac5300-file-transfer.jpg

USB 3.0 TESTING:

Make sure you disable USB 3.0 interference reduction. By default this setting is enabled, downgrading the port to USB 2.0, to avoid interference with the wifi signals. I'm able to get well over 55 MB/s on an RT-AC88U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!