What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

networking_support@asus.com

That's one email we can contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, this one just bit the dust. The 5 ghz radio labeled 1 started to lose signal strength, and now it's completely dead, but one good thing though is that I never had a disconnect while using the wired connections. I don't know if I want to try number 11. I think I'm just going to abandon the Rapture GT-AC5300, and get the Netgear Nighthawk X10 Wireless AD7200 Tri-Band.

Woke up this morning and it was down. All the lights were on but nothing was working. Lan or Wireless. Rebooted and it was fine.

Hi Maylyn,

Since you're covering Singapore, has any testing been done with SuperInternet's 10GBE service?

Thanks...

I've moved back to my original ac5300 and returned the third rapture. I was having horrible wifi performance, Netflix contatantly buffering. When turning QOS/Game boost on after every few minutes of playing the router would lock up and reboot itself. USB 3 performance is horribly slow.

Maybe Asus will fix issues...

Well, this one just bit the dust. The 5 ghz radio labeled 1 started to lose signal strength, and now it's completely dead, but one good thing though is that I never had a disconnect while using the wired connections. I don't know if I want to try number 11. I think I'm just going to abandon the Rapture GT-AC5300, and get the Netgear Nighthawk X10 Wireless AD7200 Tri-Band.

That's what I did but Idk if I'm going to return the GT or keep it and wait for firmware. I almost got the x8 though just because of the duel band 5ghz. However I don't have too many devices and I rather have the raw power to fool around with and the atheros radio. Even though technical on the box the X8 is faster in both 2.4 and 5ghz.

So far this router is amazing. The GUI is just great. Below is a list of things I would change. Let me know what you guys think and is there anything you would change or add?

1. 10Gb Wan port (One RJ45 and One SFP+). With the option to change the SFP+ from a WAN to LAN and the RJ45 from WAN to LAN.
2. 802.3bz 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps (It looks like it might have the 2.5Gbps)
3. 802.11ad (As a quad band). Like the current Smart Connect it would be nice to just add 802.11ad in the mix.

Yes, I'm in the market for a router with a 10G Wan port right now. I'm familiar with the Microtik CCR but I prefer this option:

I intend to use a 10GBE switch with an SFP+ / 10GBT combo module. That way I can take the fibre straight into the switch (no media converter) and have a 10G connection to a desktop machine.

I plan to run 2-3 routers from the switch via 1G WAN ports.

My provider doesn't require the use of a PON - it's optical ethernet.

That's what I did but Idk if I'm going to return the GT or keep it and wait for firmware. I almost got the x8 though just because of the duel band 5ghz. However I don't have too many devices and I rather have the raw power to fool around with and the atheros radio. Even though technical on the box the X8 is faster in both 2.4 and 5ghz.

I think I finally hit the Asus router lottery with number 13. While I was out picking up the 4k steelbook version of Logan, I decided to give the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 two more tries, and so far the 5 ghz radio signals did not degrade, or start to act wonky. I still ran that new setup that I discovered, and no disconnects again. Also, I noticed that the production number on the box was a lot higher than the other previous 12 I went through. It's the 4 digit number located over the "Made In China" print. The previous 12 had random numbers under 3000, but this one is over 9500. Maybe the lower numbers mean that it was an earlier production batch which is bad, and the higher numbers are the revised editions that actually work better. Also, I sent an email to Asus from the earlier link you posted. They never responded. I think I perhaps scared them away. LOL!

Sorry to hear you guys having issues. (Knock on wood) My GT-AC5300 has been rock solid since I got it about a month ago. Quite a bit of devices connected to it.

I've had no stability problems here...

I don't have a lot attached to it (wirelessly), but a total I think of 13 devices.

The only thing that annoys me is how slow its console web pages load. It's inexcusably slow.

I think I finally hit the Asus router lottery with number 13. While I was out picking up the 4k steelbook version of Logan, I decided to give the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 two more tries, and so far the 5 ghz radio signals did not degrade, or start to act wonky. I still ran that new setup that I discovered, and no disconnects again. Also, I noticed that the production number on the box was a lot higher than the other previous 12 I went through. It's the 4 digit number located over the "Made In China" print. The previous 12 had random numbers under 3000, but this one is over 9500. Maybe the lower numbers mean that it was an earlier production batch which is bad, and the higher numbers are the revised editions that actually work better. Also, I sent an email to Asus from the earlier link you posted. They never responded. I think I perhaps scared them away. LOL!

Knock on wood, but havent had a single wireless issue with mine (I don't count the display/firmware issues) but anyways my # is 0496 HW Ver A.

Knock on wood, but havent had a single wireless issue with mine (I don't count the display/firmware issues) but anyways my # is 0496 HW Ver A.
So far number 13 has been stable for about 2 days (knocks on wood too), and as long as I do not enable Game Boost, or QOS I do not get any disconnects wired, or wireless. Mine is #9564.

I have gone through two and the new one is number 4252 with no issues. I did not look at the number on the one I returned but it constantly disconnected. I contacted Asus and wow what a lost cause they are for support. Truly unfortunate. I had the R9000 before I exchanged it for the Asus, the R9000 actually had better range then the GT AC5300. I had full bars in my bedroom (through two walls about 30-40 feet) I had full bars on the 5Ghz band. The GT gets two bars on the 5Ghz band. I am beginning to think I should go back to the R9000 even with the lower specs. Having the option of DD WRT is pretty nice, Merlin won't support this router and that is probably a wise decision on his part with the amount of problems this router has. I will give is a few more days and see how I feel. I had the 66U, 68U, and ACC3100 which were all perfect but this is a completely different story.

It's funny that my VPN worked on the router that disconnected all the time but wont work with the new router. The X10 (R9000) VPN speeds were way faster than the Asus as well. the GT AC5300 gets 80-90Mbps but the R9000 always got over 100Mbps which is 0% loss in speed from my service provider. I am beginning to think me buying this was a HUGE mistake.

I have gone through two and the new one is number 4252 with no issues. I did not look at the number on the one I returned but it constantly disconnected. I contacted Asus and wow what a lost cause they are for support. Truly unfortunate. I had the R9000 before I exchanged it for the Asus, the R9000 actually had better range then the GT AC5300. I had full bars in my bedroom (through two walls about 30-40 feet) I had full bars on the 5Ghz band. The GT gets two bars on the 5Ghz band. I am beginning to think I should go back to the R9000 even with the lower specs. Having the option of DD WRT is pretty nice, Merlin won't support this router and that is probably a wise decision on his part with the amount of problems this router has. I will give is a few more days and see how I feel. I had the 66U, 68U, and ACC3100 which were all perfect but this is a completely different story.
I knew it was too good to be true now my 13th ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 is beginning to disconnect too. I think I'm going to return this router for good this time, and just get the Netgear R9000 X10 too. I tried to email Asus, and as usual no response. I also still have the Asus AC87U, and that router is practically flawless with Merlin's software.

I wonder what's different about these setups where some people, like me, are experiencing rock solid results.

Others, go through 13 of them.

I don't have a lot of devices connected - but I just wonder if it one special configuration that causes the problem...

Mine is fine but the VPN does not work at all now and when it worked on the one I returned it was much slower than the Netgear X10. With the wide spread issues I recommend everyone but the X10 over this. The X10 also had better range.

are you guys having reliability issues with the router?
If you can post certain information it'd help determine the cause though.
When the router UI loads very slowly, what is the CPU usage of the router?
What are your reported temperatures of the wifi chips and CPU?

Do you use a VPN, probably not. Slow speeds on a VPN shouldn't be an issue with this considering it is more powerful than the X10. Do you like long range? That's not a firmware problem, that's an issue with the hardware. The X10 is just plain better. I have owned them both.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!