What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus made some major changes to how nvram is handled on this router, to help protect against buffer overruns (now each nvram value has a declared maximum size for instance). The new Broadcom SDK also handles nvram differently from past platforms (with some new restrictions), causing further issues. Finally, I suspect Asus just rewrote a lot of their OpenVPN implementation, since it's now closed source. All of this combined together has created a lot of separate issues with OpenVPN.

The good news at least is that all of this is fixable. I'm still sorting through all those similar issues with my own firmware code at the moment, and I'm starting to get close to having the whole OpenVPN implementation working properly again, one fix after another. This time however Asus will have to fix the stock FW implementation on their own, as I can't fix their closed source code... And this time, I've put a GPL licence on my own code. Lesson learned.

Hi Merlin,
Forgive me as I'm not as technical as you guys, does the above mean that you are working on a firmware version for the GT - AC 5300?
I just need to know if I'll ever get the option 61 if I purchase this router, my ISP won't authenticate without it, unless there's another way around the issue?

Forgive me as I'm not as technical as you guys, does the above mean that you are working on a firmware version for the GT - AC 5300?

No, I'm not. I'm working on the RT-AC86U, which has very similar hardware.

Alright there's a new problem.

1. Using the 10G nic from the Rampage VI Extreme plugged into the Game ports on the GT5300 causes major issues as follows.

1. Upload speed will be reduced to less than 1mb/sec download speed is fine though.
2. Websites will just hang and say "connecting" and not load in.
3. Programs that rely on the internet like skype etc other things will just try to connect and sometimes will or sometimes won't

If I move the cable to a none gaming port all these issues go away and it works normally.

Hi,

I am on Sky broadband in the UK, they are very awkward about people using their own 3rd party routers. Can anyone advise as to whether this router have the Option 61 field on the wan page as I've read that Merlin is unlikely to make a version of his firmware for the GT AC5300?
Any help greatly appreciated :^)

Just in case anyone ever turns up in here looking for a solution to the GT AC5300/Sky Broadband issue, I was lucky enough to be given info on how to enable option 61 on the router without it being present on the surface of the firmware via a telnet putty, with thanks to Shonk:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/61734-gt-ac5300-sky-fibre.html#post471334

There's a new FW available... downloading & installing now.

NEVERMIND: it saw 3.0.0.4.382_15984 *facepalm*

I'd be happy if they put some time into the Android AiCloud app. It's very flakey, and now movies and flac stutter.. it's not smooth like it used to be.

Oh, and I still of course have that 14.5MB/sec network transfer speed or from network to USB. I can't figure out why it was 74.5MB/sec for an entire weekend. It just makes no sense, but I do see everyone having the same issues. I think I might use this as an excuse to upgrade to a 10G router, which is what I need anyways. Maybe NetGear will be better for updates.

Just in case anyone ever turns up in here looking for a solution to the GT AC5300/Sky Broadband issue, I was lucky enough to be given info on how to enable option 61 on the router without it being present on the surface of the firmware via a telnet putty, with thanks to Shonk:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/61734-gt-ac5300-sky-fibre.html#post471334

Pickles,
I did enable SSH/Telnet into my router. The commands appear would work. I did not do them per my provider does not require this, nor do I know what it would do to my current testings of ASUS releases of firmware.
Good info to know.
Thanks.

Alright there's a new problem.

1. Using the 10G nic from the Rampage VI Extreme plugged into the Game ports on the GT5300 causes major issues as follows.

1. Upload speed will be reduced to less than 1mb/sec download speed is fine though.
2. Websites will just hang and say "connecting" and not load in.
3. Programs that rely on the internet like skype etc other things will just try to connect and sometimes will or sometimes won't

If I move the cable to a none gaming port all these issues go away and it works normally.

Reminds me of when I tried using jumbo packets with an off-brand switch in my network. Transfers worked fine in one direction but not the other.

Warning. Do not click on check for new firmware on the latest 9.0.0.4.382.16603.
I did mine tonight and it backwards installed the latest release from August, 3.0.0.4.382.15984. It only said there is a new firmware in a blank popup, never told what version it found. It only had two button option. Install or cancel. So now looks like I have to reload the beta again....

BTW, think I may have found another issue but it will require lots more testing to see. I use a internet based garage door opener system called MYQ, from liftmaster/chamberlain which enables my phone to see when the garage door has been open etc. This stopped working around the time I switched out to this router. The wall button just beeps and fails to open the garage door. Come to find out there is known incompatibility with other routers from Linksys and Trendnet using Sonicwall. Seems to be issue with UDP timeout through the firewall. Requires the firewall not to kill the UDP connection after 30 secs, which sonic does by default. Requires a change to 180 secs. However, I see no such option in the ASUS coding currently. Both production and beta. Link is here for anyone having the same issue.
https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogr...ragedooropener/internetgateway/troubleshootin
g/internetgateway_networkswitch.htm?Highlight=wall%20opener%20will%20not%20stop%20beeping

I have used latest beta and production and MyQ , and have not had any issues at all!

I have used latest beta and production and MyQ , and have not had any issues at all!

Correct vince lally,
I found that the wall unit had a blown capacitor on the MYQ garage door opener. Seems to be a common issue on units of about 3 years of age. Available on Amazon for replacement. Hopefully the new one last longer than 3 years. Part is known as "Liftmaster 888LM Security _ 2.0 MyQ Wall control" if you happen to run into the same issue. About $40.

Still running the latest Beta code. Once again, Asus is late on their goal of monthly firmware releases. At least we have had access to some of the Betas which have been commonly better.

No longer monthly releases apparently - this is what I got from Asus R&D:
"Regular official firmware release plan is around 3 months except security or serious problems."

No longer monthly releases apparently - this is what I got from Asus R&D:
"Regular official firmware release plan is around 3 months except security or serious problems."
Does this mean that the ASUS GT-AC5300 is finally stable? Or are there still serious issues preventing it from being a dependable router.

In my opinion - No. There are still issues with OpenVPN etc. but no major game stoppers and the router appears reasonably stable.
They will release another Beta to address the OpenVPN issues and possibly some other minor problems.

I would have to agree with MarkSW.
The router is geared and priced to be sold for hardline gamers with major requirements. It is not the average home user $50 big box weekend special. The router can currently handle most average household requirements with current firmware. Some of the boasted features need tweaking before it is ready to live up to the high dollars it is sold for.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that they didn't add a GUI for custom DNS entries, it uses dnsmasq so it's definitely possible.

It does, it's on the WAN page. Disable the option to automatically connect to DNS servers.

Agreed. At this moment it's an overpriced, but high-end gaming router.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but I'm sure am somewhat disappointed .

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hello All,

So I have purchased the GT-AC5300 for a SMB client as the hardware specs and the stated software features are attractive for price. But after a week of running the device I am less than impressed as I am seeing several bugs in the firmware and an increase in packet loss and latency for wireless clients.

I was hoping to utilize the IPS, A-QoS, Apps Analysis and Traffic Analyzer, Guest Network, and SmartConnect feature for the three radio’s as the load balancing and steering would help this environment a lot. But with all of those features enabled the performance was so poor that most of the wireless clients couldn’t stay connected to the DB server. As a result I have restored the GT back to default and re-installed the latest firmware from the ASUS website. I have gone through the firmware and turned every service and feature off. I have also disabled both 5Ghz radios for the time being and set the 2.4Ghz radio to it’s most basic settings except for WPA2-Personal for the time being. This has resulted in fewer packet drops to wireless clients and lower latency and I will start turning features back on one by one starting Monday night if the users report satisfactory performance at the end of business Monday.

Connected to the GT-AC5300
A minimum of 10 wireless clients and never exceeds 40 clients. Most of the users computers and mobile devices make up these numbers.

Hardwired to the GT is 2 servers, 1 Security Camera DVR, 1 Konica MFC, 1 24port switch.

Connected to the 24port
16 SIP phones
1 SIP server
6 IP cameras

And I know it is not marketed as SMB wireless gateway solution but I have over 8 ASUS routers at client locations that have been pretty rock solid over the years. My hope for this router was high as the hardware specs and features should give this client headroom to grow for years with it.

In short this device may function fine for a home user but it is not currently satisfactory for my situation. Hardware wise the performance should be exceptional, but I feel the flaws with it all reside in the firmware.

Has anyone else here had anymore success than I am having? Hopefully also in a SMB or larger multi-user/client environment?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!