What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello cchorrell,
With that much stuff in an office, it is most likely time to look at a professional solution. the ROG series is designed for fast use for only a few users. 10-40 wireless users, on top of the LAN traffic that would already on the LAN for the phones, servers etc would most likely overcome the LAN Chipset, BCM53134. There is only 6 Gbps on that chipset. https://www.broadcom.com/products/ethernet-connectivity/switching/roboswitch/bcm53134

Most likely, you need to be looking at a solution like Meraki. A professional level product at a competitive price. Switches start at 56Gbps back-plane speed and ramp up from there. Their management is web based and runs the APs, switches and security devices. There are other solution products such as Aruba, Ubiquiti, Ruckus and others. All have great features and their supporters.

Meantime,
on the current Beta code. I have been running for weeks and today it locked up twice without warning. Both my son and I where on the PS4s for hours before it playing unlike games online. The WiFi and the LAN just simply locked up. No indications on the front panel and unable to get into the router. Power cycle returned the router to working again but nothing is in the log to indicate any errors hit at the time of the crash.

@surfnmadness, Thank you for your reply and insight.

I take care of this client as a courtesy since the owner is a long time friend. My day job consists of large wireless deployments. Mostly with Cisco Aironet, Meraki, and Ruckus. The only thing I have done with Aruba is take them out to install one of the others mentioned.

Now it would be great if this clients budget allowed to spend more, but the above would be overkill. This site was running up until just over a week ago on an older ASUS duel band N gateway. And to its credit held up well, with none of the performance issues seen with the GT. Sure it wasn't blazing fast with large file transfers going simultaneously but packet loss and clients dropping from the radios were not an issue. They would even still be on it if the power supply or PMC didn't die.

The 6Gbps on the LAN chipset would be acceptable given their data pattern, but the excessive packet loss is causing the biggest issue. As for the 10-40 wireless clients issue, well I cannot find any ASUS documentation to support that, so if true then there is WAY to much processing power on board for that. Most of the lesser dual-core Broadcom with the same 6Gbps LAN chipset are supported up to 70 clients. I would expect to be able to hit at least that and maybe squeeze out a bit more with a faster quad-core and the RAM to support it. My Cacti server is reporting 28 up hosts during this weekend when no physical users are at the location, so that means no active SIP connections outside of keepalive traffic and the users workstations that are left on, and my hardwire connections are reporting an average of 0.9% packet loss and an average latency over 10ms with 350ms of jitter and the wireless clients are averaging 2.1% packet loss with a average latency over 100ms with 1100ms jitter. Needless to say these are a significant increase.

In short I feel the hardware is capable of supporting this as lesser has in the past, thus leading me to believe the fault is in the firmware. I will once again start turning on features Monday night to see if it stabilizes but if I cannot I will need to look into a replacement. Possibly Qualcomm based product such as the Synology RT2600. I tend to always go with Broadcom based products if I can but if yourself or anyone else has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

Hey cchorrell,
Glad to see you are familiar with the products mentioned. The Wiki for this router is at https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_GT-AC5300
Has some good links to the chipsets and their specs.

Agree,
it 'should' be better hardware to handle that office than the older series ASUS. Firmware is a major factor and has been as this thread will attest. Perhaps the more evolved RT-AC5300 would be more stable for this office. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC5300
I know RMerlin's code also works on that one. He would be the best to answer up if the RT-AC5300 would be able to handle that office load well or not. If so, perhaps you purchased the GT on a 30-60 day return policy, a swap out would be an option and save a little money too.

Hello DarkSorrow,
I have not seen anything from ASUS yet, (UPDATE: TimH found that ASUS had been contacted on Aug 28th by CERT and never responded...http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/CHEU-AQNMXY) however the hack affects both the client and the AP. Both have to be patched with some sort of fix. I hear Google's Android will be fixed in the November security update.
https://www.androidcentral.com/hide-yo-kids-hide-yo-wi-fi-cuz-they-hacking-errbody-here

https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/228519/

Arstechnica has some great write ups on how it works and things you can try to do to keep it out for now.
https://arstechnica.com/information...ck-attack-destroys-nearly-all-wi-fi-security/
https://arstechnica.com/information...l-leaves-wi-fi-traffic-open-to-eavesdropping/

Last edited:
@surfnmadness, thank you for the links.

Today's performance with the GT was let down even with all services turned off and radio settings turned down to about a vanilla as you can get for compatibility. It was like user and client day, max wireless was 15 clients and max hardwire was 24. Packet loss caused headaches all day.

Hopefully ASUS can solve the firmware issues and So at this point I am thinking ASUS RT-AC5300, ASUS BRT-AC828, or Synology RT2600. It is a shame as I had high hopes for the GT and hopefully ASUS can get the firmware to a point that matches the hardware.

@surfnmadness, thank you for the links.

Today's performance with the GT was let down even with all services turned off and radio settings turned down to about a vanilla as you can get for compatibility. It was like user and client day, max wireless was 15 clients and max hardwire was 24. Packet loss caused headaches all day.

Hopefully ASUS can solve the firmware issues and So at this point I am thinking ASUS RT-AC5300, ASUS BRT-AC828, or Synology RT2600. It is a shame as I had high hopes for the GT and hopefully ASUS can get the firmware to a point that matches the hardware.
I would RMA it and try another unit. Never seen this issue before and I have read 100's of posts regarding this router's issues. I suspect either hardware or environmental issues are causing your problem.

MarkSW,
any word on a new Beta?

Just in case anyone ever turns up in here looking for a solution to the GT AC5300/Sky Broadband issue, I was lucky enough to be given info on how to enable option 61 on the router without it being present on the surface of the firmware via a telnet putty, with thanks to Shonk:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/61734-gt-ac5300-sky-fibre.html#post471334

Pickles,

would you mind me ask what is the benefit of that configuration (since you still have the vigor modem in the way)?
In my case im just using the router that sky provided, disabled the wifi, and DMZ it so that all trafic goes out to the ASUS router (WAN port) that i have at the moment (RT-5300).

Edit: Also, i'm starting to think if it is a good idea to swap my RT-5300 for the GT-5300 (can swap it at barely no cost) seeing all the issues you guys are experiencing. I find it so strange that Asus doesn't give two f*** about their top router product... I always praised Asus for their fantastic products like motherboards and their graphic cards.

Cheers,
T

Last edited:
Any reason I am getting these eth6 loopback errors on the gt-ac5300? Nothing is even plugged into the switches other than the modem to WAN. Tried turning off link aggregation, made sure its firmware is the latest... tried firmware recovery as well. Still, this.

Attachments

• gt ac 5300 eth6 packet flooding.png
    gt ac 5300 eth6 packet flooding.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Anyone having issues with DLNA? I have a few devices (Console/Blu-Ray Player) that intermittently loses connection to my DLNA server (WMP, Win10). I upgraded from an RT-AC3200 running latest Merlin and that works with no issues - swapping between the two resolves the issue immediately.

Ahh... also realized that I can't resolve host names on my Windows boxes with the GT-5300, swapping back to the RT-3200 works immediately.

Last edited:
Any reason I am getting these eth6 loopback errors on the gt-ac5300? Nothing is even plugged into the switches other than the modem to WAN. Tried turning off link aggregation, made sure its firmware is the latest... tried firmware recovery as well. Still, this.

Welp, I just exchanged it at microcenter for a RT-AC86u. Saved some bucks and future headaches.

Welp, I just exchanged it at microcenter for a RT-AC86u. Saved some bucks and future headaches.

As long as my games don’t disconnect I’m ok with this router for now. The firmware has been getting much better but I do receive hundreds of errors a week if not over a thousand. It’s insane. Exchanging was probably smart honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone successfully using the 802.3ad link aggregation? My Synology 918+ can't establish a bonded connection when it is enabled on both devices.

Unfortunately these days companies seem to have a 3 month support cycle mindset, and then on to the next. Even with games, etc, they will not patch after the 3 month period. I believe more or less they have said that about this router. I doubt we will see another patch anytime soon. It's a shame, the hardware specs seem so promising. And with no 3rd party firmware builds, this thing is becoming a paper weight fast.

As much as I have crapped on this router I have to say Asus actually pushes out many firmware updates years into a life cycle. It may not be as fast as I would like but at least they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!