What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DOES the ROG have a new competitor ..... http://www.netgear.com/npg/xr500/
I have used this DUMA OS and its very good for gaming,this could be the new go to router for gamers

Still only Dual Core probably uses the older Broadcom chipset as in the current dual cores except clocked higher knowing Netgear of DumaOS is Open sourced the will corrupt it with their Netgear crap and make it a simplicity dumbed down Interface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Still only Dual Core probably uses the older Broadcom chipset as in the current dual cores except clocked higher knowing Netgear of DumaOS is Open sourced the will corrupt it with their Netgear crap and make it a simplicity dumbed down Interface

Would not surprise me, the DumaOS is very good but paired with Netgear probably calling the shots, I hope Netduma have some sort of clause in there to stop that as they have worked hard to create this OS over the years

Would not surprise me, the DumaOS is very good but paired with Netgear probably calling the shots, I hope Netduma have some sort of clause in there to stop that as they have worked hard to create this OS over the years

One thing I don’t like about Netgear they inject stuff into their firmwares and then update it about 2 to 3 months then release a new model and completely forget about the Model and it MIGHT get a update 1 to 2 years later down the road if there is a security issue or something. One example on the R7800 the QoS database they only update it rarely and it is completely useless just check up on Voxels Firmware for the R7800 about how bad QoS database messes up with the actual QoS. And knowing Netgear they will plow Duma with all kinds of Netgear crap update it a few months and then forget about it when a Newer model comes around but Netgear is really bad about updating older models really bad *side edit* The X4S was suppose to be a gaming router of the Nighthawk line and they put the Netgear Genie Firmware on it the Nongaming Firmware that should show how bad they are they wanted to force people to the X6 but you got people like Voxel and Merlin that keeps Stock updated on their own dedicated time to add extra features so it all comes down to them to keep the hardware going which they both do a good job when you want to run stock with Modified features

Last edited:
I want a GT-AC53000. It sounds much beefier than my Gt-AC5300.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I assume you have a RT-AC5300 not GT-AC5300. Anyway the 2-way IPS will is a part of the 382 firmware that all Asus routers are getting. Also the GT-AC5300.

Which firmware would you suggest as the best on wireless stability? Mine came with 3.0.0.4.382.12184 and i upgraded to 3.0.0.4.382.15984 with factory reset and all setting manually set. Sporadically the 5ghz 1 band would not get internet access for some minutes when wired is working fine.
Any syggestions?
I have a vdsl zte h168n modem in bridge mode and pppoe handled by the gt ac5300

Another update. The beta firmware (9.0.0.4.382_19612) is a bit buggy, and there are some simple mechanics that haven't been solved yet. However, after hours of testing, I have come to discover you have to reapply VPN fusion after every router restart. This discovery will allow you to select either your VPN or your direct internet connection as the default, and it will work. This also applies to all your devices in your exception list.

To reapply VPN fusion, simply go to the VPN fusion panel, and click "Apply" at the bottom. Things should start working. This has only been tested with the above beta firmware.

Now that I have it working, I am not satisfied with my VPN download speeds. I'm going to try PIA instead of Nord to see if I get better results. (Amazon in particular is ridiculously slow on Nord). If there are other settings I should be looking at to increase my speeds over VPN, please let me know! Thanks.

John

Another update. The beta firmware (9.0.0.4.382_19612) is a bit buggy, and there are some simple mechanics that haven't been solved yet. However, after hours of testing, I have come to discover you have to reapply VPN fusion after every router restart. This discovery will allow you to select either your VPN or your direct internet connection as the default, and it will work. This also applies to all your devices in your exception list.

To reapply VPN fusion, simply go to the VPN fusion panel, and click "Apply" at the bottom. Things should start working. This has only been tested with the above beta firmware.

Now that I have it working, I am not satisfied with my VPN download speeds. I'm going to try PIA instead of Nord to see if I get better results. (Amazon in particular is ridiculously slow on Nord). If there are other settings I should be looking at to increase my speeds over VPN, please let me know! Thanks.

John
I was noticing this too last night. I believe it is the firmware and setting the VPN to default as I did not expedience slow speeds when I manually set exceptions to run everything through the VPN. I will test some more in a little bit. P.s. I am also running NordVPN.

Update, after a couple hours of testing, the latest beta seems a little unstable. Especially, with tcp VPN servers. When set to default tcp servers would yield erratic speed results and connection would randomly drop. This was especially noticeable when connecting to amazon, paypal, and wells fargo where I would be booted back the login. So fast performance seems better and more stable when using a udp server. I'll keep testing long term stability with the udp tonight. I will probably go back 19484 though.

I upgraded to the beta firmware, which seemed to help a lot of issues. However, there are still many problems with this router. I have the same issue others have reported where I cannot update the names of connected clients after the first 20-25 devices (The names keep reverting back to the defaults). I also cannot get link aggregation to work between the router on LAN ports 5&6 and my synology NAS. I called Asus support and they had to escalate the issue to their second tier. If anyone has gotten link aggregation to work, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I already have the setting enabled on both the router and NAS. The NAS had link aggregation working on the previous device it was using to connect so it definitely is something with the router or some other setting I am unaware of..

ASUS - if you are monitoring this thread, it is very frustrating all of the issues being reported for a router that costs as much as this does. Please get these issues worked out!
Hi Link Aggregation is working fine on my GT-ac5300 with my Qnap.
Ac5300
bonding.png

Nas
network.png

Alright, so here's another update.

The beta firmware (9.0.0.4.382_19612) allowed me to set the VPN as the default connection. But now, the Exception List doesn't work. That is, any MAC address/IP address I enter into the Exception List to bypass the VPN and go straight to the internet does not do so. Everything appears to be going through the VPN. I'm assuming if I go to speedtest.net using a PC on the Exception List, it is supposed to appear as if I'm coming from my original ISP, not the VPN location?

This VPN Fusion software appears to be extremely temperamental. If I buy a different router (say, the Nighthawk X4S), could I expect the same results but saving $200? Can the Nighthawk X4S handle 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload over a OpenVPN connection?

Thanks guys.

John

Well I switched a few months back from the Gt5300 to the Netgear X10 R9000. Picked it up during the holidays figuring I would return it at the end of the extended return deadlines, but I was so happy with the transfer speeds I kept the thing. I haven't tested the VPN yet, but I did install a custom firmware by Voxel and his firmware has a version that specifically utilizes hardware to accelerate your Open VPN needs..

What I have tested is LAN to LAN speeds. - 108MB/sec holding solid
USB over Wifi Speeds. - About 68MB/sec steady through a 200Gig file move.

Netgear released an update and I tested it.. the transfer speeds always dropped off

Actually I'm still a bit annoyed at all the glowing reviews of this router seeing how there are so many issues for seemingly everyone who purchased one. I will say I seem to be lacking a lot in the area of security with the Netgear. The various areas in the Asus firmware menus always had some site blocked or caught. The R9000 doesn't seem to do any of that fancy stuff. I'm assuming it has a lot of IP CHAIN rules on the back end I can't see.

Guys maybe you can help me. I got Nord VPN to work very easily. All I had to do was point to the .opvn, set up the two NordVPN WAN DNS entries, and it worked. With PIA, I point to the .opvn, pointed to the cert file, but I'm confused as to what to enter for the WAN DNS entries. I've tried googles, level 3s, and also PIAs private DNS (209.222.18.222 and 209.222.18.218). What am I missing? It says connected but I don't get internet.

Guys maybe you can help me. I got Nord VPN to work very easily. All I had to do was point to the .opvn, set up the two NordVPN WAN DNS entries, and it worked. With PIA, I point to the .opvn, pointed to the cert file, but I'm confused as to what to enter for the WAN DNS entries. I've tried googles, level 3s, and also PIAs private DNS (209.222.18.222 and 209.222.18.218). What am I missing? It says connected but I don't get internet.

Does anyone have PIA VPN connected on an ASUS router? What WAN DNS entries are you using? I contacted PIA but they haven't gotten back to me :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!