What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Vexira
I bought a GT for a simple reason: I was shopping around for a router with 8 LAN ports and I found a great offer.
RT-AC88U was the other option I had. But price difference balanced my decision towards GT-AC5300.
I'm not into gaming so I'm not really in this product's target.

I was hoping for a super stable router. My old 68U was and still is such a stable product.
GT is not! Even with my super simple and clean setup I'm having a stupid problem: one 5GHz radio vanishing. AiMesh works perfect and most time the router works. But every 7-10 days I loose a radio. And that simply pisses me off! Good part is Asus knows the problem and they are working on it. But this is not a new product so I'm not too optimistic. I don't regret by purchase decision! But I was expecting more from a high-end Asus router.

Maybe you have a specific game related need that only GT-AC5300 delivers. But if you can game without this router, do not replace a RT-AC88U for a GT!
I've been look at one for a while the 88u's kernel version is ancient. Plus I'm giving it to my relatives I'm a massive gamer after talking to a friend the qos seems really good company to the 88u due to the better CPU, the only thing that bugs me is that the Nat is stuck on symmetric with no option to change to full cone.

Still only Dual Core probably uses the older Broadcom chipset as in the current dual cores except clocked higher knowing Netgear of DumaOS is Open sourced the will corrupt it with their Netgear crap and make it a simplicity dumbed down Interface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am using PIA L2TP under VPN Fusion and it works well. I've checked on the PIA site and it says "You are protected by PIA" Cannot get the PIA Open VPN to work under Fusion.

Do you use a VPN, probably not. Slow speeds on a VPN shouldn't be an issue with this considering it is more powerful than the X10. Do you like long range? That's not a firmware problem, that's an issue with the hardware. The X10 is just plain better. I have owned them both.

I agree.

The latest official firmware is really bad for AI Mesh, I've got 3 routers and it just disconnects them every 5-7 days. This is on 20648, the routers are 2 86U and 1 88U.

Does anyone know about this Fresh JR QoS? Is it a firmware that can be loaded into the GT 5300? I wonder what this would do for my gaming..

Does anyone know about this Fresh JR QoS? Is it a firmware that can be loaded into the GT 5300? I wonder what this would do for my gaming..
No it's a script that helps adaptive qos with bandwidth allocation.

If you want to know that is FreshJR QoS, please read this: FreshJR Adaptive QoS

Important things for me:
  • When you play games, you will never have lag or disconnections. (100% confirmed)
  • Stock Adaptive QoS is broken and it does not work, but [B]@FreshJR[/B] fixed that problem.
  • All categories have guaranteed bandwidth.
  • It is the best Script that exists for QoS, better than Stock Adaptive QoS, OpenWRT with SQM Cake, Tomato QoS, DD-WRT QoS, etc. (I test all of them)
  • Works without problems in ASUS Stock Firmware or Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware and here you can see another person is also using FreshJR Adaptive QoS in a GT-AC5300.

I recommend these changes if you use Adaptive QoS especially to play games.
FreshJR Adaptive QoS - Changes focused on Gaming

Note: Install the Script with the steps mentioned above. (Here)
The thing that would be awesome is if it the rapture had fq-codel like Merlin firmware would make the pings even better.

Also has there been and option to enable full cone Nat in the router Merlin added one for the 86u since the rapture is on the same kernel version it should be possible to do so.

I left Asus long ago for routers. There just not good in certain situations. Will never buy another Asus router.

My Asus RT-AC5300 will sit here gathering dust for a while.

Yeah this behavior is annoying as hell, also a secondary side effect is all my networked pc's stop seeing each other until I reboot the router + The AI mesh issues.

When I log into my router on the main page at the bottom there is Network Ping and Ping Deviation. What is Network Ping accounting for? I'm confused if that is the ping with in my own house hold or more then that.. Thanks!

You can't have two consoles or games have open Nat if the request the same port number if the rapture is a gaming router it should have the option.

A better explanation:
http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=21
Thanks Vexira! I appreciate the explanation.. When I do a test on my xbox I always noticed it said I'm under a cone Nat. And I always wondered what the heck that was.. I will read more up on it.. Oh btw I haven't been happy with my GT 5300 since day one.. I wont purchase another Asus router in awhile.. I need a break from there products.. I'm thinking about getting a Netduma.. But whatever I get I'm going to move very cautiously.. Are you very familiar with this GT 5300? Thanks again!

anyone figure out why USB transfer rate is capped at around 10~12 MB/s ? Im using a solid state external drive connected to one of the 3.0 USB ports of the GT-AC5300 with a MacBook Pro that has a internal solid state drive hardwired to router, but still not getting anything passed 12 MB/s, it kind of makes having those USB 3.0 ports useless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!