What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, adding IP reservations is a pain in the bottom.
I found it's alright if you add all of them in one go from the dhcp page, then apply, saves rebooting everytime. But that's assuming you have a nice list already of your mac addresses.

Not using aimesh and my second 5ghz came online after 10 minutes.

Just noticed another little quirk, I tried to reserve a few IP address and every time I press apply it disconnects everything and then most devices have a problem getting back online. I don't remember anything like this on the GT-AC5300 I had before, Surely just reserving an IP for a device should not cause any issues.

Oh and cheers for your input!
After a reboot it's normal for 5-2 to take up to 10 minutes to appear, it uses Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) Channels in the 100+ region. It has to perform a channel availability check to ensure that no local radars are using the channels before it brings 5-2 online.

Oddly if you use AiMesh and 5-2 for the backhaul, the mesh connects and works before 5-2 declares itself to the world. Never spent the time to work out exactly what it's doing but assume 5-2 using a 'safe' channel in the 100+ range and is hidden until it grabs a wider bandwidth when the channel availability process has completed.

Good afternoon everyone,

I have this router coming tomorrow and I am getting my Motorola Docsis 3.1 modem (Motorola MB8600) today as I am stepping up to gigabit service. I am running a Linksys router now and have seen no speed increase since my service was updated yesterday. I am not worried about that as my router comes today.

I have researched this a good bit and it looks like the Motorola works on the same IP address as the Linksys so it should be plug and play for all my devices. I have a lot of things (~ 1/2) wired in my home and have about 32 total devices maybe a few more that are off that I can't see on my network map now. I have a 16 port switch feeding out to an 8 and 5 port switch in two rooms as well for all my wired components.

If you have any hints or set-up information that might help me that would be appreciated. I am replacing a Linksys EA9400 wireless router that after a few years seems to be kicking folks off and on a few times a day. I never see it as I am wired on my PC but Wi-Fi calling does take quite a few hits during the day and that does affect me.

A long time ago I went to network school but I have forgotten a lot of that and my has it changed in 19 years.

Thanks

Last edited:
OK apologies if teaching to suck eggs or if any of this sounds obvious.

As long as your original passwords on the Linksys are adequate and secure save yourself the pain and copy your SSIDs and passwords across from the Linksys. Will save you having to chase around looking for new network names and entering new passwords.

Ideally you should keep all the slow cumbersome stuff on the 2.4GHz network. Then split the load between the two 5GHz networks. I keep most of my legacy stuff on 5-1 and the more demanding stuff on 5-2. This of course assumes you have chosen three separate SSIDs.

Apart from that the set up wizard should be good enough to guide you through the process.

Remember that 5-2 may be slow to start (up to 10 minutes) if DFS channel checking applies in your region.

Hey no worries and appreciative for the response. I have the new Motorola Modem installed which was quick and painless. Have up to touching 800 mbps at the moment. I am not going to complain about that on a Sunday when everyone is quarantined and probably streaming everywhere. Also have about 30 upload now as well. So the router will be tomorrow afternoons chore. I have the passwords memorized. Based on your response above a question is are you saying, if I keep the "Name" the same for the new Router everyone should still just be able to connect correct? The fact that is is a new router will not matter? Not sure if I will do that or not but it is a thought.

Thanks

Hey no worries and appreciative for the response. I have the new Motorola Modem installed which was quick and painless. Have up to touching 800 mbps at the moment. I am not going to complain about that on a Sunday when everyone is quarantined and probably streaming everywhere. Also have about 30 upload now as well. So the router will be tomorrow afternoons chore. I have the passwords memorized. Based on your response above a question is are you saying, if I keep the "Name" the same for the new Router everyone should still just be able to connect correct? The fact that is is a new router will not matter? Not sure if I will do that or not but it is a thought.

Thanks
If the WiFi SSID (the name people see when they scan for a network on their device) and password stay the same then yes all existing devices should just carry on connecting as normal.

The Linksys you are replacing is a tri-band correct?

Did you have three separate network names on that (one for each band) or were they all the same?

If the WiFi SSID (the name people see when they scan for a network on their device) and password stay the same then yes all existing devices should just carry on connecting as normal.

The Linksys you are replacing is a tri-band correct?

Did you have three separate network names on that (one for each band) or were they all the same?

It is a tri-band router. Funny thing I have never tried the third although it is broadcasting. Both of the 5 Ghz bands have the same name, but are active with an "Auto" network mode so any time I have ever looked only "1" 5 Ghz has shown up. Weird but up till lately this router has worked "Ok" I would say. Looking at reviews for this Linksys one however I see a lot of complaints. Most a lot worse than my experience. After studying up on WiFi 6 I think it is the way to go with a replacement.

One question is the latest firmware on this unit Asus ROG Rapture this thread is devoted to stable to run with no known issues.
I see some complaints but I am not sure of the release dates and current firmware.

Thanks

Hey another question. I am thinking that I will get nothing out of using the 2.5 gig port as I only have gigabit switches (plus only "Up to" a gig from my provider) but there is no issue if I use that port to go to my 16 port switch correct? If I use it anywhere it will simply provide the same throughput/data that any of the other 4 ports will correct?

Thanks

Hey another question. I am thinking that I will get nothing out of using the 2.5 gig port as I only have gigabit switches (plus only "Up to" a gig from my provider) but there is no issue if I use that port to go to my 16 port switch correct? If I use it anywhere it will simply provide the same throughput/data that any of the other 4 ports will correct?

Thanks
I've never used the 2.5G port, according to the manual it is supposed to prioritise packets for Gaming. Not sure what that means in reality. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work like a 1 gig port if all you plug into it is a 1 gig switch.

Unless you intend to use the AiMesh setup with a few nodes you might as well set up all three networks and use them.

Latest firmware is fine, just make sure you do a hard reset on the router after uploading it. Don't bother fully configuring it first time around as it will need the reset to behave.

As previously stated I would try to keep all slow/undemanding traffic on the 2.4GHz band. Use the first 5GHz band for general use and the second for a few bandwidth hungry devices.

Latest firmware is fine but you must do a full hard reset otherwise it will misbehave. So would advise upgrading and doing that before you start configuring it in anger

Last edited:
This is the most stable router i have ever had. Look at my uptime! 70 days without a singele reboot and it is still going. Ofcourse i am still on the 6436 firmware version. As i read the newer ones are horrible. That is why i dont update my router with latest firmware. Everything is working as i want to so no need to update.

upload_2020-4-13_1-41-14.png

This is the most stable router i have ever had. Look at my uptime! 70 days without a singele reboot and it is still going. Ofcourse i am still on the 6436 firmware version. As i read the newer ones are horrible. That is why i dont update my router with latest firmware. Everything is working as i want to so no need to update.

View attachment 22606

You might consider updating for Fixed CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability which is a very nasty vuln.

You might consider updating for Fixed CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability which is a very nasty vuln.

I might yes but i wont lol. As long as there is no stable future firmware i wont update. Its all running the way i want so i dont wanna f*ck it up by throwing garbage firmware on it.
It is up to Asus to give me stable firmware.

I might yes but i wont lol. As long as there is no stable future firmware i wont update. Its all running the way i want so i dont wanna f*ck it up by throwing garbage firmware on it.
It is up to Asus to give me stable firmware.

Suggest you dont do banking or anything with sensitive traffic. At least this vuln is not contributing as a botnet. Otherwise.. well you know...

Suggest you dont do banking or anything with sensitive traffic. At least this vuln is not contributing as a botnet. Otherwise.. well you know...

No most banking is done on smartphone connected to 4G. Actually i have unlimited mobile data so even at home my wifi of my smartphone is almost never on lol.

Can I ask if anyone has this with AX92U mesh nodes?

I currently have AX92U as a router and node.
I am however seeing some red WAN light issues (not an ISP issue), I have also seen others reporting the same.

I bought ZenWifi AX and I'm having difference issues with this (speed issue from the Mesh node - download activity lowers any active upload activity - strange one, I know).

SO....
After looking at other options, I do like ASUS.
I'm thinking of the AX11000 as the main router and using one of my AX92U's as a node.

The node is in my office and is really only used to connect my PC (wired to the node) back to the main router as I don't want to wire up the house.
It also helps with wireless at the other end of the house for the kids.

Thanks!

Yeah, adding IP reservations is a pain in the bottom.
I found it's alright if you add all of them in one go from the dhcp page, then apply, saves rebooting everytime. But that's assuming you have a nice list already of your mac addresses.
Adding IP reservations massively borks out GT-AX11000 and RT-AX88U.

Hi Guys,
Quick question regarding dns servers. I have 3 kids with multiple devices, PC's, Phones ect.
Is there a way for me to configure what DNS server they use? I wanted them to all go through open dns family shield.
I know I can configure it on each device manually but is there a way to do it on the router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!