What's new

[ROG RAPTURE GT-AX11000] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is the most stable router i have ever had. Look at my uptime! 70 days without a singele reboot and it is still going. Ofcourse i am still on the 6436 firmware version. As i read the newer ones are horrible. That is why i dont update my router with latest firmware. Everything is working as i want to so no need to update.

View attachment 22606
I am using version 7979 and its also quite stable. uptime for 74 days so far. I am running 3 AX11000 via AImesh at home.

I am using version 7979 and its also quite stable. uptime for 74 days so far. I am running 3 AX11000 via AImesh at home.

Hmmm okay nice to hear. Will wait a bit more until next update. Otherwise i might take the jump to update to 7979

OK hooked up and running for a day and a half no issue, nobody kicked off which was the LinkSys issue. I have been working through the whole web UI and am liking what I see there. The way you can dissect each individual device and see how much data it has used and when is really incredible that you can get to that detail. The way you can also look at the live traffic is really something cool. Have you ever wanted to know what your Roku is drawing while streaming? Well put it to streaming and then take a look. Want to know how much data it takes for the web-conference school that is going on now with the Covid19 virus, just take a look at that device while that is going on.

I am a little disappointed that the online manual for this unit does not reflect the current generation of the web GUI. I am guessing that with firmware updates a few things have changed. But I also can't help but think some of the wording used is from an entirely different router, as it states to "Install the 4 antenna" and this one has 8. A few other misses wording wise but none of this takes away from the actual device itself and its performance. This being said we are still in the honeymoon phase so to speak but so far so good. I have had many routers but the customization possibilities, and the sheer data that you can attain regarding your network, whether it be historical, live, or device specific is WAY, WAY more than anything I have ever seen before. I gained about a 100% strength increase on the furthest wireless PC using only that devices motherboard WiFi antenna. I went from 30-60 mbps to 90 or just a touch over a hundred. Other sections furthest away in the house using a wifi6 device is seeing 450-500 MBPS on the 5G wireless so we are good to go there.

I did have to update a few device drivers in order to have them actually "See" the new network. I installed this the night before last so there would be no interruption of the working/Schooling from home. I had to plug my old wireless router into a port on this router, connect and download the drivers and boom back in business. A couple of things I can't seem to get to work (but I also don't have a good grasp of them either so that could be an issue on my part). I don't see the channels "Populating" with anything in the channel statistics but again that could be just me.

Just wanted to provide a quick update and thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hello folks,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I just signed up here yesterday because I have had the GT-AX11000 for less than 2 weeks and it's already rebooted randomly at least once (I think twice, but I am not sure if the first time was a system reboot or just temporary wifi drop (but either way that's not good)).

I left some brief information about my issue here, though it's not comprehensive.

What I know:
-Firmware version is 3.0.0.4.384_8011-gf86f4e8
-system reboots randomly
-logs show nothing helpful, just normal firewall behavior and then suddenly a boot sequence
-ALL connectivity goes down when the issue occurs, including LAN connectivity. I am sure of this because I have ethernet-wired devices communicating via private IPs (Yes, private IP, NOT hostname), and this connectivity also breaks when the issue occurs (and immediately restores - without intervention - once the GT-AX11000 is back up)
-I have SSH access from the LAN, and a WIRED machine on the LAN, running a small shell script to basically pull back the time, uptime, and system load, every 10 minutes (yes, my Reddit post says 5 minutes, but 10 is what I went with instead)
-I have nightly reboots scheduled, via the GT-AX11000's web ui

What I want to know:
-What settings might affect this and how to resolve it
-If WiFi 6 might be related. I don't currently have any WiFi 6 devices (yet), so I'm willing to try disabling it
-If a Mesh might be at play here. I have my old RT-AC68R setup as a mesh node (firmware version of the RT-AC68R is 3.0.0.4.385_20433-g3f7796b). I only need the mesh sometimes, and other times I have it powered off. It feels like the issue only occurs when the mesh node is active (but I don't really have enough data to say that for certain).

Any thoughts on this? I have lots of experience with this kind of thing, and have for years modded devices and installed the likes of Tomato and DD-WRT, so I'm familiar with nvram commands, etc. I'm not scared. (Note - both my GT-AX11000 and RT-AC68R are completely unmodded. They run, and have always run, signed Asus firmware.)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can try, or other logs or data I can gather via a script which might help if this reoccurs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you've configured AiMesh on the main router, then leave the node on, as it's meant to be and as the router is expecting. :)

Nightly reboots? For what purpose? I would disable this first. If they are 'needed' to keep the router/network stable, return the router for one that doesn't need this extra toll on the hardware extracted nightly and the extra tiptoeing around it too.

If you've flashed the router to its current firmware version and did a full reset to factory defaults (I would do the same for the AiMesh node too at this point) and it is still rebooting on its own, return it.

I don't want the AIMesh node on all the time, though. I only need it for one specific spot in my back yard, and the rest of the time it just emits unwanted warmth while using precious electricity. I can't imagine that the AiMesh couldn't handle the loss of a node anyway, it should by design be able to handle that (and it does appear to handle it just fine, in fact, save for the very problem I'm having).

On the topic of the AiMesh, I've noticed that the Mesh node doesn't broadcast the frontplane SSID sometimes after reboot of either the node or the router. In this situation, though, clients which are WIRED to the mesh node work fine. So it's effectively a client bridge unless I issue a reboot or power-cycle it. This happens a lot, actually, outside of the router reboot problem.

Also, here is where I will complain that the AiMesh doesn't actually do what I even wanted in the first place. I wanted to extend my GUEST network, but apparently it only extends the main 5Ghz one. That, to me, seems ... incomplete. I have read elsewhere that the Merlin firmware combined with some complex vlan and bridge interface config might help. I understand that conceptually, but I don't see anyone having proved this with the 2 specific devices I have. (Plus, I would prefer to stay on stock firmware, at least for now.)

Another observation is that when I bring up the UI for the mesh node in a browser, I just get a message like:

Unable to connect to the Parent AP.
RT-AC68R
We suggest you

• Ensure that your AiMesh router has been powered on.
  • Reboot your AiMesh router and try again

(Which, is a totally bogus message. The fact that I can even render that message proves it can connect to the parent AP.)

That said, it does appear the mesh node takes certain config from the AP, because it accepts my SSH key and I can get command-line access. Anyway, w/r/t resetting the node, I'd have to go with the button or 30-30-30 method, I suppose.

So, on the subject of nightly reboots, yes, this was a bit of a quick-and-dirty mitigation/tiptoeing step. I wanted to see if the issue occurs if I reboot nightly. I'm significantly less concerned about hardware toll and the like, it seems (like, not at all concerned). I'd eventually move to weekly or 3x-weekly or something anyway, if needed. The thing about reboots is, I can tolerate 1 reboot a day, if I can control when it happens. What I don't like is the randomness of it, particularly when it comes to streaming content.

As for resets, via UI, pin-push, or the 30-30-30, I suppose I could do this but it's such a PITA to set everything back up. I have reservations for every known client, for one thing. I suppose I could save off an nvram show, exclude everything except all the stuff I really care about, then script a nvram set/commit after a factory reset. I would like to delay something like this, though, in favor of gathering more data about the behavior.

In closing, I have been a huge proponent of Asus for years. This is my 5th Asus device overall, and only the 2nd which I've had problems with. (2 were Asus tablets, one of which was stolen and its replacement eventually crapped out after years of travel and frequent ROM reflashes). But I'm a bit sour on Asus these days, and that began before I noticed this device randomly reboot. This device seems particularly buggy.

I guess I'm left with nothing but the 30-30-30, but ... eventually. In the meantime, I'll disable the nightly reboots but continue tracking uptime and load. If there is any other data I can regularly pull back, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hello folks,

Please let me know if there is anything else I can try, or other logs or data I can gather via a script which might help if this reoccurs.

Thanks!

Hi

A few questions:

Where is the GT-AX11000 kept?

Is it on top of other equipment?

Is it cool and well ventilated?

I was having internet disconnect issues that others are having. Devices connected show internet but no internet. After this would happen I would check the log. The router.asus.com wouldn't work after the crash, I would have type the ip address to get to the web interface. Looking at the log I noticed my sons Iphone 11xr pro and my firetv recast prior to the crash were connecting and disconnecting really fast multiple times per second until the router would crash and display a may 5th date in the log.

I had the router setup where both 5ghz 1&2 had the same ssid and password with smart connect off. 2.4 ghz with separate ssid and password.

I dont use any wifi 6 devices yet so I had turned off the ax features I had though. So I did some search and found a article from asus tech support on how to improve compatibility with wifi 6.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042475/

I ended up giving 5ghz 1&2 seperate ssid. I have all my firetvs and recast connected to 5Ghz-1. Phones tablets pcs gaming consoles to 5Ghz-2. I turned off the features in that article.

After doing this I have not had anymore issues. Everything has been super stable. The only thing in the log anymore is actually phones disconnecting when they actualy leave or laptops turning off and some normal firmware checks and vpn connections from when I leave the house.

I have probbaly 30 devices connected to the router all working good. I had an issues with my HP printer connecting to my 2.ghz but turning off protected mangment frames fixed that. It would say the password was wrong when it wasn't.

Attachments

• 20200426_074825.jpg
    20200426_074825.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 20200426_074759.jpg
    20200426_074759.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I was having internet disconnect issues that others are having. Devices connected show internet but no internet. After this would happen I would check the log. The router.asus.com wouldn't work after the crash, I would have type the ip address to get to the web interface. Looking at the log I noticed my sons Iphone 11xr pro and my firetv recast prior to the crash were connecting and disconnecting really fast multiple times per second until the router would crash and display a may 5th date in the log.

I had the router setup where both 5ghz 1&2 had the same ssid and password with smart connect off. 2.4 ghz with separate ssid and password.

I dont use any wifi 6 devices yet so I had turned off the ax features I had though. So I did some search and found a article from asus tech support on how to improve compatibility with wifi 6.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042475/

I ended up giving 5ghz 1&2 seperate ssid. I have all my firetvs and recast connected to 5Ghz-1. Phones tablets pcs gaming consoles to 5Ghz-2. I turned off the features in that article.

After doing this I have not had anymore issues. Everything has been super stable. The only thing in the log anymore is actually phones disconnecting when they actualy leave or laptops turning off and some normal firmware checks and vpn connections from when I leave the house.

I have probbaly 30 devices connected to the router all working good. I had an issues with my HP printer connecting to my 2.ghz but turning off protected mangment frames fixed that. It would say the password was wrong when it wasn't.

This has been my experience as well. Separate SSID's make a big difference.

Hello all

I ran into a weird behavior last night.

I was looking through the new iPhone Asus app's QoS settings and found the app said QoS is disabled. The same went for my Parental Controls.

This morning I validated the actual router config and everything was enabled.

Is there anything I can do to show the correct config on my iPhone app?

On QoS itself, I'm using traditional and added the protocols in the priority page. It seems to be working ok. I was going to try adaptive QoS, but wasn't sure how to prioritize VPN (Cisco Anyconnect), Webex and other corporate app. It looks like most of my work laptop is categorized as 'General'. Also, the QoS options in the iPhone app don't match what is configurable in my router.

upload_2020-4-30_8-38-41.png

upload_2020-4-30_8-39-28.png

upload_2020-4-30_8-38-41.png
upload_2020-4-30_8-39-28.png
IMG_11BB39E89DD9-1.jpeg
IMG_34B499029369-1.jpeg

Any thoughts?

The QoS page on the app is for adaptive QoS, will show as disabled for any other type of QoS.

Thank you ... I updated my QoS on the router and it updated to 'Work QoS' in my app.

It looks like the routers Video Conferencing model lines up with the iPhone app Work-From-Home model.

I was looking at the Traffic Analyzer monitoring screens and didn't see way to monitor the queues. Is there a way to looks at the QoS queues?

upload_2020-4-30_11-8-20.png

upload_2020-4-30_11-8-59.png

IMG_1BBA01548F3C-1.jpeg

IMG_F36B7D56E893-1.jpeg

Hi

A few questions:

Where is the GT-AX11000 kept?

Is it on top of other equipment?

Is it cool and well ventilated?

It is flat on a desk, up on its rubber feet (the desk is NOT made of wood, but made of some synthetic material that actually stays quite cool even in the Summer), not on top of other equipment. There is airflow beneath and above it. Also, I keep my house colder than most people. The device is not hot to the touch. I will add that the last time it rebooted was at approximately 5:53 am local time yesterday, when it was about 63 degrees F / 17 degrees C ambient temp in the house at the time.

Anyway, the reboot happened again, but it was over 24 hours ago, so I no longer have logs. But what I DO have is a log of the system load, and load went up to "2.24, 2.06, 2.02" just 3 minutes before the rando-reboot. (Normally it sits around "1.97, 1.88, 1.67").

I had already disabled WiFi 6 several days back (and rebooted after that change), I'll try the other steps in that article:

I have the 5Ghz as separate SSIDs ... BUT - I work with a guy who bought the exact same unit, uses the SAME SSID for both 1&2, and has no reboot problems.

I will add one more piece of info - when I first unboxed this device, I restored the backup I had taken from my RT-AC68R. I was actually surprised it restored a backup from a different device, but at the time I didn't think much of it. Thinking back on that, I suppose a full factory reset would be in order, unfortunately and frustratingly.

I'm going to do that and report back.

Thanks!!

(PS - I had also disabled the automated nightly reboots several days ago as well, so I could troubleshoot this issue.)

Last edited:
Same here, Both 5GHz radio's have different SSID's also my 2.4GHz radio has also another SSID. Meanwhile my uptime still going :)
View attachment 23059
BTW, I have a total of 5 SSIDs:
2.4 and 5 Ghz Guest WiFi's (Different SSIDs)
2.4 and 5 Ghz Internal WiFi's (Different SSIDs)
5Ghz-1 "Backplane" SSID (Used only by the mesh node and 1 other device)

I can't get more than 3 consecutive days of uptime out of this thing. I'm so frustrated that I spent $450 to have a worse experience than my 7-year-old RT-AC68R. I better get to factory resetting this thing asap before it's too late to return it.

Thanks.

Anyway, the reboot happened again, but it was over 24 hours ago, so I no longer have logs. But what I DO have is a log of the system load, and load went up to "2.24, 2.06, 2.02" just 3 minutes before the rando-reboot. (Normally it sits around "1.97, 1.88, 1.67").
This might just be a red herring. I have higher avg load at other times, and no rando-reboots.

Question for folks:
Could I expect to see much of a performance bump using the 2.5G port for my gigabit fiber connection (AT&T)? My understanding is that gigabit ethernet itself is a bottleneck.

What kind of OpenVPN server performance could I expect?

I have an AC-87U which has a torrent downloader client but it's very clunky and slow, has this experience improved?

I have a questions about AiMesh and the AX11000.

I'm getting a second AX11000 today from a friend. He went a different way with this network. My plan is set it up as an AiMesh endpoint at my desk.

My plan is the following:
  • Deploy AiMesh via WiFi
  • Connect 2 laptops via RJ45
    • (One has a failing WLAN adaptor)

Questions
  • Anyone have issues with Ring devices connecting via AiMesh?
  • Can the AiMesh endpoint LAN ports be used?
  • Can the USB port application be used on the AiMesh end point?
    • One of the RJ45 connect devices will be a Mac. I would like to use Air Time Machine locally on the AiMesh end point and backup the attached Mac.
  • Are there any features unique to AiMesh once enabled?

Question for folks:
Could I expect to see much of a performance bump using the 2.5G port for my gigabit fiber connection (AT&T)? My understanding is that gigabit ethernet itself is a bottleneck.

What kind of OpenVPN server performance could I expect?

I have an AC-87U which has a torrent downloader client but it's very clunky and slow, has this experience improved?

2.5gb will help if your modem supports that speed and your internet exceeds 1gb.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!