What's new

[Root Cause Found] RT-AX88U Can't get link speed over 866.7Mbps with AX210 or AC-9260 WIFI in laptops (160MHz)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I saw that post, I'll give it a try....is that done via putty with SSH enabled? I've used that an WinSCP to convert TM-AC1900 routers to RT-AC68Us but that is a far as I've used them with any level of comfort.
Yes, PuTTY or any other SSH client.

It's because your router doesn't support them (and therefore 160MHz is not achievable). It's as simple as that.

The only question is "why". It could be a bug but it's more likely that the router was manufactured for a different region. See post #28 for how to check the region.

Oh boy...think I found the issue.... correct me if I'm wrong.......but CA = Canada???

How do I fix that?????

1642954622945.png

Yep, Canada. As noted earlier in this thread those routers don't support DFS channels. Return it to the store.

I just spoke with Newegg and of course it's passed the return date and will not assist......great.....

Well this just plain sucks.

May have to pursue legal action, it's on them to sell the proper region devices to customers.....I would think.

How have others dealt with this?

Legal action? Just put it for sale on Amazon.ca.

Apologies for hijacking the thread but with the country talk I decided to check mine (bought in the UK)

1642961159745.png

Is this normal / expected? Should I return it?

Apologies for hijacking the thread but with the country talk I decided to check mine (bought in the UK)

View attachment 38858

Depending on the model that could be quite normal as UK models are mostly "EU" versions (there are no UK specific versions), which nominally use the German country code.

Are the Germany and UK WiFi legal parameters identical? If not, return it.

I bought it from Newegg April of 2020. I don't think they'll take it back?? Oh man.......what a cluster.....

View attachment 38853
You should still have access to the 36-64 160MHz bandwidth with the Canadian version of the router. It's just 120-128 that are banned in Canada. Plus, the log you showed seems say that it can access the Canadian DFS channels but your GUI is hiding them. That's just weird.

View attachment 38858

Without exploring further, wiki shows that EU/UK both have access to the same channels. Main difference is the lower transmit power in some bands in EU.

You should still have access to the 36-64 160MHz bandwidth with the Canadian version of the router. It's just 120-128 that are banned in Canada. Plus, the log you showed seems say that it can access the Canadian DFS channels but your GUI is hiding them. That's just weird.
This has been discussed at length before. For some reason Asus didn't enable the DFS channels on their Canadian routers sold a couple of years ago. Probably didn't want to go through the certification process.

@kittmaster, out of curiosity, does your box have a Canadian address or a US address? Somewhere on the box, there's usually the Taiwan address followed by the local branch office.

This has been discussed at length before. For some reason Asus didn't enable the DFS channels on their Canadian routers sold a couple of years ago. Probably didn't want to go through the certification process.
On that note, I can confirm DFS support on the following Canadian routers purchased in 2021:
- AX68U: none
- AX82U: 52-64
- AX86U/S: 54-64, 100-112, 116, 132-144
- AX92U: 100-112, 116, 132-144

@kittmaster, out of curiosity, does your box have a Canadian address or a US address? Somewhere on the box, there's usually the Taiwan address followed by the local branch office.

On that note, I can confirm DFS support on the following Canadian routers purchased in 2021:
- AX68U: none
- AX82U: 52-64
- AX86U/S: 54-64, 100-112, 116, 132-144
- AX92U: 100-112, 116, 132-144

I think I chucked the box, it's been almost 2 years....I never have intent to sell my "old" hardware I buy so after a year of no issues...I may have tossed it....I'll look in my attic.....but I'm pretty sure it's gone.

I am beyond furious.....with Newegg. I didn't have any ax clients back then.....so I didn't have any idea about checking the nvram on what region the thing is from......I'm not an IT guru, but enough to be dangerous.....good lord.

The fact they just washed their hands of it just makes it worse.....if I bought in error that would be one thing.....but I fully expect that if things are regionally controlled, it is up to the seller to send me the correct product.....Newegg isn't a new company to this...... some may say I'm wrong or I should have xxxxxxxx but I believe in customer service.....and this ain't it.....IMHO.

I'm not a seller on Amazon, nor do I want to be......but in this instance I would sell this once I get proper version. I need this unit A) WIFI 6 B) NAS link aggregation for my Synology C) Mesh

So I didn't just randomly pick this router, it was selected specifically........but..... I digress..... :(

You guys have been great.

THANK YOU to everyone nursing me through this mess.

I still have the option of talking with Asus and see if they will RMA and have them reprogram it for my region via warranty service, or send me a utility to fix the bootloader to do a 1 time adjust for the region.....or I will buy another outright and sell this one in Canada.

If more questions arise I'll reply here......and will update if I get final resolution to this issue.

Best,
Chris

most stores buy it cheaper from amazon uk and then ship it to germany for sale in their own stores.

Well that falls under fraud (EDIT: Unless the UK region is supposed to be used in Germany). I bought the router on good faith that it's full potential is at my disposal.

If I buy an 8 cylinder car and only 4 cylinders are working....I go to you and say hey, you sold me a 4 cylinder and I bought an 8......you don't get to come back to me and say.....hey its still a car its worked up til now and you just noticed there is a problem?

It's not like the unit worked all this time and then broke down later and then the expectation is to repair/replace it for free......the issue here is that this unit was never meant to be sold to me period.

I looked up and down at the sales order and still the product on the website......it doesn't say anywhere "use in Canada only".

Just because it "worked" all this time.....now when I really have the means to use it to its full potential.....I have no way to do that....and there is no fix either.....I assume it is because most have no idea what they are looking for because it just works good enough for them.......as it did for me....up until now....

Their practice of cheaper sales will cost them in the long run....it always does.

Last edited:
I have an RT-AX86U. I also decided to check the country.
Screenshot 2022-01-25 150717.jpg

I'm in Australia. On the WiFi Pro page the Region is set to Asia (default). I have finally achieved AX mode 160MHz by reading this thread.
What did it for me is to force the channel width to 160MHz only. My client hardware is an Intel AX210 and I'm using WPA3.
My link speed just now is 2041.7 / 1225.
All of my other devices are still OK.
Thanks for all of the tips guys.
Bob

View attachment 38889
I'm in Australia. On the WiFi Pro page the Region is set to Asia (default). I have finally achieved AX mode 160MHz by reading this thread.
What did it for me is to force the channel width to 160MHz only. My client hardware is an Intel AX210 and I'm using WPA3.
Bob
For data point, do you have channels 100-128 for 160MHz, or just 36-64?

View attachment 38889
Bob

Glad something good came from this!

To be honest, as mad as I am about this garbage......I have learned something new. I had zero idea about DFS channels or even what they were until this forum helped educate me about what is happening and of course the people that have helped me publicly in this thread and also privately. So it's not all bad..... :)

Update to my debacle:

Newegg says they can't help, if it was 2 or 3 months after return window....then yes (they said).....1.4 years......no.....noted. Will never buy anything from Newegg again and I'm not kidding, told the wife Newegg is on our blacklist and I don't care if it is the deal of the century, Newegg is dead to us....voting with our wallet.

Bought same router from Amazon (ordered 01/24/2022) with a lead time of Feb 27, 2022.......ugg. Verified over the phone date was real as it was an inventory thing. Then throughout the day......order updated.......27 became the 17.....then overnight 17 became Jan 27-29. So it will be interesting if I actually get the new unit by this Saturday or not. If it does....right out the box will be a powerup, ethernet attach, get into admin area to enable SSH and verify just as Post 28 and BobD to verify it truly is a US router. If not, back in the box it goes and order a replacement........rinse and repeat until it is right.

More to come....

Glad something good came from this!

To be honest, as mad as I am about this garbage......I have learned something new. I had zero idea about DFS channels or even what they were until this forum helped educate me about what is happening and of course the people that have helped me publicly in this thread and also privately. So it's not all bad..... :)

Update to my debacle:

Newegg says they can't help, if it was 2 or 3 months after return window....then yes (they said).....1.4 years......no.....noted. Will never buy anything from Newegg again and I'm not kidding, told the wife Newegg is on our blacklist and I don't care if it is the deal of the century, Newegg is dead to us....voting with our wallet.

Bought same router from Amazon (ordered 01/24/2022) with a lead time of Feb 27, 2022.......ugg. Verified over the phone date was real as it was an inventory thing. Then throughout the day......order updated.......27 became the 17.....then overnight 17 became Jan 27-29. So it will be interesting if I actually get the new unit by this Saturday or not. If it does....right out the box will be a powerup, ethernet attach, get into admin area to enable SSH and verify just as Post 28 and BobD to verify it truly is a US router. If not, back in the box it goes and order a replacement........rinse and repeat until it is right.

More to come....
If you can live without the 4 extra gigabit ports and the 4x4 2.4G on the AX88U, you could jump ship towards SNB's darling: AX86U. Also check the box to find the address. The Canadian one will have the Canadian branch address right after the Taiwan address.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!