What's new

Router temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You guys are overthinking it.

5109m5RZ8kL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

611n9vpkmrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Amazon, about 20 bucks - 120mm 12V computer case fan and an universal power supply. Use the top power adapter on picture to connect the fan wires, super easy. Place the fan free standing 10cm behind the router with airflow pointed towards the router, find a minimum stable start voltage. Glue the fan in place with double-sided tape If you live in an area with expected frequent strong earthquakes. You have a bigger problem in such area by the way and you shouldn't be reading this thread. The rest of you - wipe the dust with a soft cloth as needed. No router modifications needed and the warranty is preserved, all ports are easily accessible and the fan is serviceable/replaceable without touching the router.

So from what I've heard so far. For AC86U . The best cooling comes from a push in configuration. From the lowest possible point on the back fan holes. (which is just above the ethernet ports etc) .. and to use a filtered fans. Is that it or are there any more tips?

Just got my fans in the mail . They're those cheap chinese ones. Seems good enough. With the filter it's not really pushing air tbh. Without it, it's quite a nice breeze .

Although, even with that limited air pushing capability when the filter is installed , my current 80C idle (currently in an AC environment. Usually it stays about 87C to 90C sometimes without AC even tho it's in an open space) is now about 55-56C without load (but is loaded with my internet connection . 50mbits.)

So I guess I don't need to worry. Seems like the limited air from the fan still helps A LOT....

I was expecting to see at least 3D printed custom air duct with AC86U original design matching red stripe in the middle and RGB lights as un upgrade.
challenge accepted...but no red.

challenge accepted...but no red.
LOL..."you can have any color as long as it is black" I had many of the 12V fans on-hand from a large AV cooling project in customized cabinets. A few, which didn't work, are heading back to Amazon in a couple of days! ;) For all those who want an OOB router cooling solution and who are not as concerned about the "whining" noise, here are options:

a) -> For your AC86U -> https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=ac86u+cooler
b) -> For your AX86U, here's the 3D printed screen, though you will have to live with red -> https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=ax86u+cooler

We've all contributed to several viable solutions in a range of budgets, assembly skills, visual appeal (or offensiveness) and quietness levels. Choose your priority folks! What's most important is to have some fun, keep your router(s) cool and your family happier about you - their beloved internet service provider! Stay safe, stay alive. Stay cool. Peace.

Last edited:
On AC-86U with Merlin 386 Beta 2, My temps are: I don't hear any fan running. Mysetup is one node in the bedroom. Everything seems stable except the temps.

Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 51 °C - 55 °C - 89 °C

Hello everybody.
Today I've made the hardware mod and closed the router.

The following picture speaks more than words:
View attachment 32123

In a very few words:
  • I changed all the termal pads, with ARCTIC 1,5mm ones. When necessary I used just the 1,5mm one, otherwise two stripes of 1,5mm for a total of 3mm
  • Solely for the CPU, 1,5mm copper pad + 1,5mm thermal pad.
In my opinion RF ICs temps could be even better if I used some copper even there.

Hence, IMHO, all these temperature issues are an hardware problem.

Thanks
I also ordered the same things as you. Now i'm on 384.17 and i have 70 ° C with amb temp 18 ° C but in anticipation of the transition to 386.2 / 3 and the arrival of summer i hope to do a good job. Last year i changed the thermal paste on the old ac68u and had a good result, now on the ac86u which is out of warranty let's do the same thing.
Thanks for the valuable information for people like me who don't like dust and fans.

Installed Merlin-s latest Beta 2 and and used a cheap twin fan laptop cooler from the parts bin placed under the router and my CPU temp was manageable at 82°C - about 10 degrees hotter compared to the last good firmware.

Went ahead and ordered a Noctua NF-F12 fan and when it arrives will attach it to the Asus AC86U with an old leather belt.

That will make for one ugly router.

In the meantime dived into the parts bin and found a new, high quality CPU cooler fan. Derated it to 5V to pull power off a USB hub, attached it to the rear lower right of the router..

Blowing smoke, ahem, air right up the router's butt works wonders.

Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 46 °C - 58 °C

Ambient: 29°C° Precipitation: 1% Humidity: 65% Wind: 16 km/h

Installed Merlin-s latest Beta 2 and and used a cheap twin fan laptop cooler from the parts bin placed under the router and my CPU temp was manageable at 82°C - about 10 degrees hotter compared to the last good firmware.

Went ahead and ordered a Noctua NF-F12 fan and when it arrives will attach it to the Asus AC86U with an old leather belt.

That will make for one ugly router.

In the meantime dived into the parts bin and found a new, high quality CPU cooler fan. Derated it to 5V to pull power off a USB hub, attached it to the rear lower right of the router..

Blowing smoke, ahem, air right up the router's butt works wonders.

Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 46 °C - 58 °C

Ambient: 29°C° Precipitation: 1% Humidity: 65% Wind: 16 km/h
so that's a 16km/h wind from the south? lol

My router is in the low 60C, never more and just for laughs, I pulled this out thing of a drawer and hooked it up like you see.

It's a USB 2 speed Arctic Breeze fan on the low speed and it's plugged into a USB charger cube not the router usb port.

good for a 20C drop ... never goes above 46C or so (I'm still on the last Asuswrt 384 fw); and it's completely SILENT running.

20210323_211308.jpg

Last edited:
With what % precipitation in the room?
You mean humidity? 20c ambient, 37-40% humidity in the room on average (basement)

My experimental AC86U 2.4GHz radio died again. I was testing Merlin's beta yesterday, turned off the router overnight and today the UI shows Channel 0 again. Reverting to standard Asuswrt and reset didn't help. As I mentioned earlier in this thread re-flowing the chip without re-balling with proper solder is not a long term fix. This is the end of my journey with AC86U routers. If one dies has to be replaced, no point repairing it.