What's new

Router that offers two types of encryption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi,

I am looking for a router that will allow me to setup WPA2 and WEP encryption at the same time.

Is that possible?

I have a Nintendo DSI and the older games only work with WEP, however my PS3 and Popcorn hour use WPA2.

If I only use WEP on my wireless then my Popcorn hour wont stream 720P without breaking up. With WPA2 it works fine without problem.

Preferably gigabit if possible

Thanks

stu

Some routers used to do this, but no more. Too much of a security risk.

I did some more checking. The Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH supports three SSIDs, each of which can support a different encryption method.

Alternate solution: add another wireless router/AP

I have exactly the same sort of issue at home. My kids wanted to WiFi their Nintendo DS' (which only handle WiFi 802.11b w/ WEP encryption)

My solution was to add a second wireless router, configured for b/WEP only, and connect that router's WAN port to a LAN slot on my primary router (which I configured for 802.11g w/ WPA on a separate channel). One nice thing about this is that any obsolete wireless-b router will do.

The kids get their wireless DS link, and my primary router gets faster throughput in pure wireless-g mode, along with decent (WPA) security for my laptops.

You could set up a second access point rather than a router to achieve the same thing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!