What's new

Routers that Support: Remote Access & Magic Packet sending from Config Page.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chaosd

New Around Here
Hi there Everyone,

Can anyone, advise me on which Routers support the Following Features:

• Remote Access Via Internet to Router Config Page.
  • Ability to Trigger [Wake on Lan] Magic Packet from Router Config Page, to a Local PC connected by Ethernet Cable.

I have heard that the Draytec Vigor Series of Routers can do this! Does anyone have any Experience in this?

Any Information most Apreciated.

Thanks

Aaron.

Yep, they do support this. Also all DDWRT/OPENWRT (and many other open source firmwares) support this. So it is not really needed to buy a fairly expensive Draytek for this.

Note that there are ways to get WOL-packets to your PC's over the internet. I have successfully configured this in a few occassions even when the router did not support static ARP. For security, WOL can also be configured with a special pattern for the wake up (like a password). The client computer would have to know this special pattern and will not respond to regular WOL packets (which are a repitition of its MAC-address).

If you have any specific question, I'm more than welcome to try and answer it.

Wake on WAN question

Hi,

You have said you have been successful even to make Wake on WAN work on a router which doesn't support static ARP table.

How did you manage it? I have a Robotics Model 9108a which doesn't support ARP.

I will appreciate if you could help me how to setup the parameters. I have succeeded to wake my PC from the LAN, but not from the WAN....

Thanks,
Ozgur