What's new

Routing to modem via a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveCo

New Around Here
Hi,

First of all, thanks to anyone who can help with my question.

My setup is as follows. I have a cable internet/iptv box in my laundry, from which some cat 6 runs into my ASUS RT-AC68U modem/router. I have a cable running from one of the ethernet ports on the back of the ASUS into a D-Link DGS-1210-28P switch from where it is distributed to various ethernet jacks around the house.

I would like to move the ASUS to a different part of the house so that a stronger wifi signal is received in areas we commonly use. Is it possible to run the cable that presently goes into the WAN port of the router directly into the switch, and then move the router to this other part of the house? In other words, can the modem be indirectly connected to internet source?

I hope I've managed to ask my question in a way that makes sense.

Thanks again,

Steve

if you mean ac68U wan connected to switch connected to cable modem than yes but you must set up port isolation and VLAN on your switch to prevent traffic leaking about and STP to prevent loops.

You could however get a cable patch which is just a 2 side connector to extend ethernet cables instead of using yours switch.

Is it possible to run the cable that presently goes into the WAN port of the router directly into the switch, and then move the router to this other part of the house? In other words, can the modem be indirectly connected to internet source?

I hope I've managed to ask my question in a way that makes sense.

Thanks again,

Steve
No, I think not. Try it on a desktop. Get a cheap switch. Connect no other devices to the switch.

You might get away with using a pair of IP over power line devices as they are layer 2.

it sounds like he's already in a double nat; connect the switch to the cable modem/router and put the ac68 in 'AP Mode' off any of the switch's ports

No, I think not. Try it on a desktop. Get a cheap switch. Connect no other devices to the switch.

You might get away with using a pair of IP over power line devices as they are layer 2.

A switch is Layer 2 also (unless of course is an L3 switch).

It will work. I've tried it before, connecting a gateway to a switch and then to a router. It fails to work if you have other stuff connected to the switch and trying to access the internet through multiple devices, or if you have the router connected to the switch via LAN and WAN ports.

Its a crummy way to do it though, I suggest just getting a couple of keystones and a patch cord between them to make a "unified" wire to the router. That or just a female to female RJ45 coupler if you have RJ45 ends on the wires currently. I would NOT run it through the switch, even with VLAN/ACL, its a bad way to do it.