What's new

RP-AX56: 5G beam forming options missing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i0ntempest

Occasional Visitor
AX56 is a repeater running a stripped down version of asuswrt. I have version 3.0.0.4.386_42860.
Anyone knows how to enable the two missing settings (ac/ax beam forming and implicit beam forming) in the webui? They are present in the professional tab for 2.4G band but not 5G.

Thanks in advance.

Who made this stripped down version?

Asus obviously... I say "stripped down" because it's missing a lot of settings from the version you would find in a router.

If the settings you want are supposed to be there, but are not, that indicates to me that a full reset to factory defaults is required.

Any other workarounds will only postpone that need.

But again I ask, are those features actually supposed to be available?

I'm not sure, but there are indeed wl1_txbf* settings in the nvram.
Just tried, a factory reset did not make those settings appear though.

It is probably supposed to be hidden from 2.4 also. Beamforming could have some pretty negative impacts on a repeater. Maybe it only appears if that band isn't being used for the backhaul.

It is probably supposed to be hidden from 2.4 also. Beamforming could have some pretty negative impacts on a repeater. Maybe it only appears if that band isn't being used for the backhaul.
Makes sense… I’m using it as an AP though.
wl1_txbf and wl1_itxbf nvram variables are set to 1 by default so bf should be enabled, if the system actually use them on this device.

Makes sense… I’m using it as an AP though.
wl1_txbf and wl1_itxbf nvram variables are set to 1 by default so bf should be enabled, if the system actually use them on this device.

Maybe if it is intended to be a repeater it always expects to have a backhaul, but no experience with that device. On their other models, there are plenty of NVRAM variables that don't actually get used, so who knows if it is actually in use or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!