What's new

RT-68P and Merlin 384.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Franklin Marder

New Around Here
I upgraded my RT-68P to 384.4 and it started freezing which was fixed by rebooting so I decided to wait until a newer firmware version came out for a fix as rebooting once a week was not too big an issue. 384.5 added to my woes as the router CPU usage showed 100% all of the time on CPU1 and the temperature skyrocketed. I finally did a reset and went back to the latest ASUS firmware. It is now working very nicely but I would like to go back to Merlin as I like the extended feature set(SNMP, newer OpenVPN server, etc). Anybody else experiencing problems and any recommendations on a fix.

it happens sometimes when update between stock/merlin or different code base firmware (380->384 for example).
power cycle and clear nvram, it should fix the cpu load issue that you are experiencing
it will require you to reconfigure everything

power off the router for 30 sec, hold wps button while powering on.
wait till power led blinking/flashing then release the wps button
wait till it's done rebooting and you should be good to go

I’ve got the same issue. Especially when using my IPTV 4K channel (BT Sport 4K). The 1st Core processor is skyrocketing to 100%. Nothing I’ve tried to resolve works. Using RT-AC56U. Would also appreciate some help/fix shortly. I’ve been updating Merlin incrementally.

Under what circumstances does your processor run to 100%?

it happens sometimes when update between stock/merlin or different code base firmware (380->384 for example).
power cycle and clear nvram, it should fix the cpu load issue that you are experiencing
it will require you to reconfigure everything

power off the router for 30 sec, hold wps button while powering on.
wait till power led blinking/flashing then release the wps button
wait till it's done rebooting and you should be good to go

Thanks. The instructions for the 380 to 384 mention this but then do not give any detail. I will try this in the next few days as I have some other things that are higher priority

I’ve got the same issue. Especially when using my IPTV 4K channel (BT Sport 4K). The 1st Core processor is skyrocketing to 100%. Nothing I’ve tried to resolve works. Using RT-AC56U. Would also appreciate some help/fix shortly. I’ve been updating Merlin incrementally.

Under what circumstances does your processor run to 100%?

Mine is always at 100% so I believe a reset as mentioned in the previous response is worth a try.

Thanks. The instructions for the 380 to 384 mention this but then do not give any detail. I will try this in the next few days as I have some other things that are higher priority
normally you would just need a simple reset from the webui and it should address most issue.
I can't explain the difference between factory reset vs power cycle n clean nvram.
But it address most weird issue that I encounter that a simply click on factory reset (after multiple reset that is) can't fix
CPU load being one of them, so hopefully it works out for you.

What would it drop your router firmware back to doing a nvram “reset”? Pre 180. Or the current 184.5 I am on

What would it drop your router back to doing a nvram “reset”? Pre 180. Or the current 184.5 I am on

Resetting the router back to default or clearing nvram does not change or delete your current firmware.

Ta. I’ll give it a go. It’s going to be fun getting my router reconfigured with all settings.