What's new

rt-ac series Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

W4RH34D

Regular Contributor
Has anyone tried active cooling mods on these routers?

I'm starting to think they're just getting too hot, even though the temps are in ok areas, the case can be extremely hot to the touch. Honestly, that is the only thing I can go on to answer why these things can be perfect for a while then just go nuts. I think its heat.

Has anyone tried active cooling mods on these routers?

I'm starting to think they're just getting too hot, even though the temps are in ok areas, the case can be extremely hot to the touch. Honestly, that is the only thing I can go on to answer why these things can be perfect for a while then just go nuts. I think its heat.
This topic comes up from time to time, my opinion is that the product design engineers kept such concerns in mind during product design..

I bought Infinity USB fans and stuck them under my R7000. They work well. Some people have said they are running in the high 60's °C. I run in the high 40's low 50's c. Some use Some people use laptop pad fans also. The obvious stuff. Router ventilation and ambient temperature also plays a role.

R7000 - Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: disabled - 47 °C - 50 °C

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ2J2K0/?tag=snbforums-20

EDIT: The lower the operating temp the longer life of the equipment.

I bought Infinity USB fans and stuck them under my R7000. They work well. Some people have said they are running in the high 60's °C. I run in the high 40's low 50's c. Some use Some people use laptop pad fans also. The obvious stuff. Router ventilation and ambient temperature also plays a role.

R7000 - Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: disabled - 47 °C - 50 °C

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ2J2K0/?tag=snbforums-20

EDIT: The lower the operating temp the longer life of the equipment.

The only negative that worried me was the fan forcing tons of dust inside, like with a PC, but the router has much less extra interior space and smaller vents.

My router (fanless) has no dust in it after almost a year of use.

The only negative that worried me was the fan forcing tons of dust inside, like with a PC, but the router has much less extra interior space and smaller vents.

My router (fanless) has no dust in it after almost a year of use.

I check it from time to time. So far, so good! Yeah, I'm kind of anal, like that! ;)

EDIT: I forgot, also use them on a Ubiquiti router too!

I can't deal with it being so problematic. I turned it into an AP, got a gigabit switch, and run pfsense as the router. Just being a wireless AP has cooled it down considerably.

I think the problems have more to do with beta or rather undeveloped firmware to be honest.

From a design perspective the components will all have a maximum operating range, I doubt they would get close to this. Part of the design of the case would have involved environmental testing, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Really the only way to know for sure would be to obtain the white papers for the chipset to see what the upper limits are. Active cooling seems excessive...

Well obviously the home router market isn't grasping the causes of these things spazzing out. It happens to all of them from my experience. Well, they're fun until you rely on them. I guess I was expecting too much from consumer market products. And that's fine.

I think the issue is more to do with manufacturers rushing to have the first product out that is 802.11ac capable. As such hardware is fine, but the software / drivers / firmware needs much more work.

This is happening even with enterprise wireless products, first to market seems to get precedence over stable releases.

Yeah, typical best practice is to not adopt bleeding edge if you want iron clad reliability.

Problem is, it's not really the wifi that is the issue but general stability of the entire device. I'm actually very impressed with this device's performance as just an access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!