What's new

RT-AC3100 blocks access to ISP email server - firmware issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chameo53

New Around Here
Recently purchased a new RT-AC3100. No issues until 3/14/2016 when I noticed issues connecting to my email. Could not connect to my ISP's mail server - whether thru email program or thru web access. Tried several different email programs and web browsers. This has never been an issue before.

Spent 2 hours on phone troubleshooting with ISP tech support assuming it was something they did on their end. Tried numerous things including restarting cable modem, restarting the router, deleting and trying to reinstall email. No solution. The problem exists with all devices in my house - Windows desktop, Windows laptop, Surface Pro 3, Iphone6, Ipad Air and Android Nexus 6 - and exists across multiple email IDs. Seems to be specific to my cable modem IP as I have access when accessing mail thru cellular.

Checked all router settings to see if something had changed or been turned on (like some of the security settings) but nothing was different that I could see. Turned off router firewall - no change. Turned off my ESET email checking - still no access. Turned off all antivirus entirely - still no access.

Connected my desktop directly to cable modem and was able to immediately connect to email.

Reset RT-AC3100 to factory default settings and set up basic config (no port forwarding or other changes other than ssid and login info) but still was unable to connect. Could to connect to every site I tried but not to anything that related to my email with my ISP.

Installed the original firmware using firmware restore utility, factory reset, set up basic config - still couldn't connect email site. Upgraded to latest firmware - factory reset - still no connection. Also installed Merlin's 380.57 and the latest alpha version of firmware. Problem still exists - not really surprised given the code base is similar.

Now it gets interesting - took my Asus RT-AC68R (which was replaced by the 3100) and set it up on my network. I initially had access to my email again but within approx. 1.5-2 hours I again lost email. Installed several different firmware versions (both stock and Merlin) but still no connection.

Loaded DD-WRT on 68R and all works fine.

It is obvious that there is something wrong within Asus firmware and given the AC68R worked for awhile before crapping out (as did the 3100), it appears to be something that changes dynamically to causes the problem. Any options or suggestions? I am out of options of what to look at in either the stock or Merlin's firmware.

I have RMA set up (not sure if that will bear fruit) but wanted to check with those more experienced here before I send it back.

EDIT: Contacted Asus tech support and they suggested my MTU was the problem. Went thru their suggested steps to validate but the MTU setting (the standard 1500) was not the problem and changing it did not fix the issue.

Out of frustration with the speeds I was seeing from my AC68 I connected my ac3100 and started turning on (or off) individual settings starting in WAN section. As soon as I turned off the uPNP setting and checked my email access, I immediately was able to successfully access my ISP's email server and pages I was unable to access previously.

Not sure why that setting made a difference or why it worked without problem for the first 3+ weeks I had the ac3100 but I almost have to figure my ISP had to change something on their end. In any case, glad to have my ac3100 back and working. Had been thinking about turning off uPNP anyhow so this just accelerated it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!