What's new

RT-AC3100 dropping SSID, maxing out CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimH

Occasional Visitor
For the last few months now, my RT-AC3100 seems to be dropping connectivity to both 2.4, and 5 G bands. Seems the router is fine for the first couple hours, but as time goes on the CPU is pegged to the max, and I need to power down, wait 15 minutes, and power up, in order to reconnect.

Aside from resetting the router, is there anything I can do in order to prevent this from happening? I’d hate to reset, I’ve made numerous config changes, and hate to go through that process again.

Thanks,
Jim

Maybe power adapter issue. Would be easy to test if you have a similar one with 19V/2A.

For the last few months now, my RT-AC3100 seems to be dropping connectivity to both 2.4, and 5 G bands. Seems the router is fine for the first couple hours, but as time goes on the CPU is pegged to the max, and I need to power down, wait 15 minutes, and power up, in order to reconnect.

Aside from resetting the router, is there anything I can do in order to prevent this from happening? I’d hate to reset, I’ve made numerous config changes, and hate to go through that process again.

Thanks,
Jim

Things you can try:

o install the latest firmware 45717;

o webUI Restore w/Initialize after installing firmware to factory default reset;

o configure router from scratch (use your notes ;));

o do not enable Trend Micro features until you've observed router performance for some time.

OE

Seems the router is fine for the first couple hours, but as time goes on the CPU is pegged to the max, and I need to power down, wait 15 minutes, and power up, in order to reconnect.

This does suggest a hardware issue. Maybe the wait is required to let the CPU etc. cool down. Can a firmware issue cause a runaway hardware issue...

OE

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I’ll start off with a new power supply, and work my up to the other solutions.

Much appreciated!
Jim

I wont buy a new one for maybe 30% chance to get it running.
Do you have an old one you could use or ask a friend.

Last edited:
$20.00 is a quick fix, when you compare it to the time it’ll take to re-reconfigure all the changes I’ve made this far...

Of course, it gives me a great excuse to upgrade all my devices to Wifi 6 ....

R,
Jim

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!