1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC3100 dropping SSID, maxing out CPU

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by JimH, Sep 22, 2019.

1. JimH

JimH Occasional Visitor

For the last few months now, my RT-AC3100 seems to be dropping connectivity to both 2.4, and 5 G bands. Seems the router is fine for the first couple hours, but as time goes on the CPU is pegged to the max, and I need to power down, wait 15 minutes, and power up, in order to reconnect.

Aside from resetting the router, is there anything I can do in order to prevent this from happening? I’d hate to reset, I’ve made numerous config changes, and hate to go through that process again.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

Maybe power adapter issue. Would be easy to test if you have a similar one with 19V/2A.

3. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Things you can try:

o install the latest firmware 45717;

o webUI Restore w/Initialize after installing firmware to factory default reset;

o configure router from scratch (use your notes ;));

o do not enable Trend Micro features until you've observed router performance for some time.

OE

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

This does suggest a hardware issue. Maybe the wait is required to let the CPU etc. cool down. Can a firmware issue cause a runaway hardware issue...

OE

5. JimH

JimH Occasional Visitor

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I’ll start off with a new power supply, and work my up to the other solutions.

Much appreciated!
    Jim

6. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

I wont buy a new one for maybe 30% chance to get it running.
    Do you have an old one you could use or ask a friend.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  7. JimH

JimH Occasional Visitor

$20.00 is a quick fix, when you compare it to the time it’ll take to re-reconfigure all the changes I’ve made this far...

Of course, it gives me a great excuse to upgrade all my devices to Wifi 6 ....

R,
    Jim