What's new

RT-AC3100 Merlin 380.66.6 how to adjust TX power?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clouser

Occasional Visitor
I apologize if this has been answered before I did search...

Under wireless / professional, I don't see an option to increase the TX power. I also don't see a configuration option anywher else for that matter, but I think that is where it used to be? Is there another way to do this via telnet maybe? I could have sworn I could do this previously on the stock bios, but I could be mixing it up with a previous router. In the past I found even a slight power boost was enough to make the difference for usable wifi signal quality in my bedroom.

thanks

Power level can no longer be adjusted for the US region, per FCC requirements. Asus removed it over a year ago.

Thanks that explains it since it's probably been more than a year since I last updated. Do you know if other options like tomato or ddwrt would still give me this option or do I need to call back roll back my firmware?

The slight adjustment I had made the difference between usable Internet upstairs and no Internet upstairs.

Thanks that explains it since it's probably been more than a year since I last updated. Do you know if other options like tomato or ddwrt would still give me this option or do I need to call back roll back my firmware?

The slight adjustment I had made the difference between usable Internet upstairs and no Internet upstairs.

Not sure, I don't keep track of their power adjustment support. Also note that just because a webui setting is user-configurable does not mean that the radio soc will actually apply it - the chip has its own configuration tables, which determines the power levels to use for a large array of situations (based on the channel, number of streams, etc...).

Also, increasing the router's transmit power won't help your client send their own signal back to the router. If it's weak, you'd need to upgrade both ends of the communication to have any real improvement (RSSI/signal strength is not a valid metric, it only monitors part of the connection).

Not sure, I don't keep track of their power adjustment support. Also note that just because a webui setting is user-configurable does not mean that the radio soc will actually apply it - the chip has its own configuration tables, which determines the power levels to use for a large array of situations (based on the channel, number of streams, etc...).

Exactly - the Broadcom STA driver will accept inputs, but if those inputs exceed limits -the driver says ok, and proceeds at limits...

Which is ok, because otherwise, the driver would crash with an out-of-bounds situation.

BRCM keeps this item alive, as some folks want to limit power, not boost it...

Out of curiosity, what was the last Asus/Merlin version that supported adjusting the transmission power level? I have one router in an area that I might want to set at a lower power, and would be willing to downgrade it if need be. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what was the last Asus/Merlin version that supported adjusting the transmission power level? I have one router in an area that I might want to set at a lower power, and would be willing to downgrade it if need be. Thanks!

One that has a lot of known security issues, as it's years old...

:) Message received and understood. Still, it's a shame. It seems like a sensible arrangement would be for the FCC to limit the max transmission power, not the min. Just sayin'.

I guess you could try wrapping the antennas in aluminum foil. Adjust the signal strength by the amount of foil used................;)

That didn’t mean that our Canadian laws changed....

How can Merlin put this back in?
Actually the posts by @RMerlin above, pretty much explains it. In order to keep a working relationship, between him and the Asus development team, there are things that are off limits. This is one of them. Use @john9527 fork or dd-wrt maybe.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That didn’t mean that our Canadian laws changed....

How can Merlin put this back in?

Canada and US both share the same regulatory region.

It's not gonna happen, period. The reasons are both legal and technical.

Then again, people told Bill Gates, it’s not going to happen, and look what we have today.
People get what they are voting for ...

In order to keep a working relationship, between him and the Asus development team, there are things that are off limits. This is one of them.
Thanks, this is the first posting I can believe, understand and fully accept, btw thats what I supposed all the time but never haven't been spoken that clear!

I remember coming across the more-is-not-necessarily-better argument a while back in this forum:

“ If the router follows your directions unconditionally, you can easily end up with more noise and distortion and your effective throughput goes down even though the signal gets a little stronger. I've had this happen *smile*...the signalis stronger, but throughput goes down. Or there can be no apparent effect at all, no change in either signal strength or throughput, which most likely means that the router is already at an optimal point relative to signal strength and throughput.”

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireless-tx-power-why-not-max.16105/#post-110932

I remember coming across the more-is-not-necessarily-better argument a while back in this forum:

“ If the router follows your directions unconditionally, you can easily end up with more noise and distortion and your effective throughput goes down even though the signal gets a little stronger. I've had this happen *smile*...the signalis stronger, but throughput goes down. Or there can be no apparent effect at all, no change in either signal strength or throughput, which most likely means that the router is already at an optimal point relative to signal strength and throughput.”

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireless-tx-power-why-not-max.16105/#post-110932
that would be mostly correct for US settings, but reduced EU power in 2G is simply to weak!

I tested in 1dB steps on my own with 68U using old firmware and got a sweetspot at about 250-316mW, more will slower speed due to distortions for near clients and less is slower too because of too weak signal of far clients or even no connection possible at all.

Last edited:
Most wireless technologies and wired even like cable modems adjust theyre transmit power based on the signal strength reveived. If you crank the router output crazy high its likly the devices in turn greatly reduce theyre transmit thinking its not needed which will degrade performace

Infact I want to reduce power for test purpose, I am currently using AC66U and AC88U, is there anyway that I can manually adjust tx power by ssh?

Infact I want to reduce power for test purpose, I am currently using AC66U and AC88U, is there anyway that I can manually adjust tx power by ssh?

No. If it's not shown on the webui, then it's not possible to adjust it in your region - power levels are hardcoded and enforced by the driver.

Apologies for resurrecting and old thread but this is the one Google came up with.

What about the ability to reduce transmit power? I'm interested in balancing the 'overlap' between multiple access points and I'd prefer not to have my AC86U commandeering all of the wifi clients. Something like Ubiquiti has implemented in their Unifi AP's where it's adjustable - up to the allowable transmit level.

Apologies for resurrecting and old thread but this is the one Google came up with.

What about the ability to reduce transmit power? I'm interested in balancing the 'overlap' between multiple access points and I'd prefer not to have my AC86U commandeering all of the wifi clients. Something like Ubiquiti has implemented in their Unifi AP's where it's adjustable - up to the allowable transmit level.

Asus only enable that option for certain models/regions. I don't know the exact list.