What's new

RT-AC3100 need help flashing old firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lennymoe

New Around Here
Hey Guys!

I have searched high and low, and it seems that I cannot find what I am looking for - I need help!

I decided to try DD-WRT, thought I had done enough research, pulled the trigger, and everything went off without a hitch. After running the firmware for a bit, I decided that I didn't care for it. My WiFi speeds are horrendous (even after using recommended settings).

So, I started looking into Merlin, and I decided that I would give that a try. Downloaded the firmware, went to install using the Restoration Tool, and it failed.

Before we go any further, I DID clear the NVRAM before flashing and I DID enter recovery before flashing. The file uploaded to about 75% and cancelled. Immediately, I started doing some research and came across some info that I never would have found in my research prior to this adventure. It seems that the partition in DD-WRT is for a 32MB rootfs; however, there are no current firmware builds that are less than 32MB. I have searched everywhere for an older version of ASUSWRT and ASUSWRT-Merlin that I could flash to change the partition size, then upgrade to a newer version, BUT I cannot seem to find one.

I did try the Merlin 384.19 (as it is 33.9MB), but that one failed to upload at around 95%.

I screwed up, I should have done more research prior to flashing DD-WRT, but I guess we are beyond that now.

Anyway, does anyone know of a workaround? Or is there anyone that would be willing to offer a stripped down version of Merlin that is sub 32MB?

Thank you so much, in advance, for your time and expertise!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!