What's new

RT-AC3200 options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris Thompson

New Around Here
I'm a bit confused and hoping for some clarity. I was running Asus Merlin's firmware for several years on my Asus RT-AC3200 router. It was a great alternative. In seeing the deprecation message, I decided to try an alternative firmware that is still receiving support in the form of Fresh Tomato. Unfortunately, I'm finding Fresh Tomato to be buggy, particularly with the 5Ghz Wifi Radios.

It seems that Asus is still providing firmware for this router. Sorry if this question has been answered...just curious as to why no more Merlin releases for this router when Asus themselves are still producing firmware?

Seems at the point my options are stock firmware, Asus Merlin without updates, or buggy Tomato Based Firmware or DD-WRT releases...

Thanks much to all.

just curious as to why no more Merlin releases

Because the code base is out of sync with current router models. RMerlin has to compile special firmware for this router alone. I would use stock Asuswrt on this router. Asuswrt is the most up to date firmware available with good set of features and guaranteed to work on this device.

Because the code base is out of sync with current router models. RMerlin has to compile special firmware for this router alone. I would use stock Asuswrt on this router. Asuswrt is the most up to date firmware available with good set of features and guaranteed to work on this device.
Mine is purring with out complaints on the latest RMerlin 382.13_10. ;);). Keep in mind @Tech9 has some great advice. I just want you to know if you are willing to ride the waves a little. RMerlin Firmware has alot of + advantages to offer that you may not find on stock, while still keeping to the basic stock structure, feel, and features. His firmware is not that far behind Asuswrt. Asuswrt delays to release their latest GPLs, but once it is available, fear not - RMerlin will add support. Mind you the RT-AC3200 is no longer supported as Asus will end of life it soon similar to how the RT-AC87U is end of life.

Just keep an eye on this list:

All products RMerlin has stopped supporting eventually make it to end of life list. This is the nature of all routers asus has no plans for.

Last edited:
This one is missing all the latest security fixes. @Chris Thompson may not want to use it. It's up to him to decide.

I have 5 of them in different that do not have any challenges and because are working with FT so good in Poland you need to pay for used ones $100 or more

any bug, questions how to set it up etc you should put here
https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/tomato-firmware.33/
you can check what tomato ver people are using for your router here https://anon.groov.pl/index.php?model=Asus+RT-AC3200 this is voluntary feature in tomato and normally much more users use it.

please remember as this router is EOL (end of life) Asus do not need to fix any feature, even wi-fi etc and just provide security update depends of region up to 10years.
If you want to stay with AsusWRT/RMerlin you should change router for AX86U for example.

Last edited: