What's new

Extend range for neighbours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billybarty

New Around Here
I have Starlink for internet with an aftermarket router that has fixed antenna. I live year round at a seasonal resort and want to share my internet with a couple neighbours in the summer. I don't want to mess around with guest networks etc and end up being the help desk if they have internet problems. I would like to be able to just give them my password and if they get it they get it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on hardware either to make this happen. Can I just buy a router with removable antenna and attach an external antenna to increase range?

Welcome to the forums @billybarty.

Set up the Guest WiFi and nothing changes (if they get it, they get it). No support needs to be provided there either.

I have Starlink for internet with an aftermarket router that has fixed antenna. I live year round at a seasonal resort and want to share my internet with a couple neighbours in the summer. I don't want to mess around with guest networks etc and end up being the help desk if they have internet problems. I would like to be able to just give them my password and if they get it they get it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on hardware either to make this happen. Can I just buy a router with removable antenna and attach an external antenna to increase range?

Keep in mind anything your neighbors do or anyone else on your connection you are responsible for. Are you willing to take that responsibility ?

Be much safer for you to set up a guest network for them , not much trouble to set up , after all who knows what kind of crap they have on their systems , don't want that polluting your network