1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300 - The first 24 hours...

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Kev Holmes, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kev Holmes

Kev Holmes New Around Here

Purchased and installed the RT-AC5300 yesterday. Everything ran fine yesterday, but numerous major issues today. Key items:-
    • Multiple "kernel: net_ratelimit: nnn callbacks suppressed" messages per hour in system log (major network outages during these times)
    • <Raised elsewhere - ignore> Network Map shows multiple DHCP clients as being "static" despite definitely being DHCP assigned (30-35 clients in list) - this appears to be the case at all times
    Possible causes:-
    • Multiple DHCP servers? Possible, but unlikely. Investigated this using Wireshark and only the RT-AC5300 gets referenced (only ran test for a short period when no errors were occurring)
    • DHCP-assigned addresses "leftover" on the clients/switches from the previous router configuration - mmm... it's possible that has a knock-on (It's a nightmare to reboot *every* device in the house!)
    Questions:
    • What am I missing?
    • Suggestions?
    TIA
    Kev

Context:
    • New RT-AC5300 for home use - Wireless router mode (not using AiMesh)
    • Virgin Media SuperHub 3 (350Mb/s down) in modem mode - dedicated WAN link to RT-AC5300
    • Gigabit-backbone (wired) network with 5 onward (Netgear) switches from RT-AC5300 LAN port
    • Numerous (10-15) wire-connected devices; PCs (Windows 7 and 10, Ubuntu), disk arrays (Thecus), TVs (Sony, Samsung), Dell Printer, SolidRun/Kodi boxes
    • Numerous wifi-connected devices; Sonos (12 nodes), phones/tablets, Google Home/Amazon Echoes
    • RT-AC5300 configured with default IP (192.168.1.1) - DHCP range configured for 1.100-1.254 - no IPV6 - 3 static IP nodes (1 desktop, 2 disk arrays) (all out of DHCP range)
    • Firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_20379

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. kab

kab Occasional Visitor

A common cause for "kernel: net_ratelimit: nnn callbacks suppressed" is an ethernet loop of some sort. I had similar issues with a faulty AV2000 (dual-connect EoP device) that would immediately cause such floods when a second cable was connected (and as bonus, may have been causing feedback through a dangling, unterminated coax cable to a MoCA run).

At the time, somebody asked if I had any Sonos devices; I didn't, so didn't follow up and don't know exactly what the issue may be.

Did you configure your static IP addrs on the router, rather than on the individual devices? I doubt that is your routing issue, but the router firmware won't maintain those addresses correctly; it can only reserve addresses within the DHCP range.

4. Kev Holmes

Kev Holmes New Around Here

Thanks for the reply kab,

MoCA? Had to look that up! Oh boy, am I going to have nightmares about running coax tonight!

The static IPs are configured in the 'traditional' fashion - on the devices themselves. I'm not sure that I have yet seen a way to do this through the GUI.
    Cheers,
    Kev

5. kab

kab Occasional Visitor

I had removed a cable box from an old TV and left ~3m unterminated coax behind a bookcase: yes, it makes a great antenna! My ISP tracked massive noise spikes back to my house. ;(

As long as you terminate coax (connect to any device, or with a barrel connector if left disconnected), you will be fine.

6. JoeG

JoeG New Around Here

Purchased AC5300 in May 2018. Having the same issue with Network Map/View List showing some of the clients as static when they are DHCP. I also use DHCP reservatons but those clients are correctly listed as 'manual'

7. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Just as general guidance - when replacing an Router/AP with another device, let the network settle a bit...

Do the basics - admin passwords/wireless passphrases - but leave the rest of the AP settings at defaults as the clients sort things out for a day or so - then one can tweak settings as needed with the new AP.

WiFi clients are a bit like kittens - they get distracted easily...

(yes, this is my little kitten recently adopted - Hanzo says "oh hai!")

hanzo_070718.jpg

Grisu likes this.
  8. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

+1 for your little cat

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!