What's new

RT-AC5300 - The first 24 hours...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kev Holmes

New Around Here
Purchased and installed the RT-AC5300 yesterday. Everything ran fine yesterday, but numerous major issues today. Key items:-
  • Multiple "kernel: net_ratelimit: nnn callbacks suppressed" messages per hour in system log (major network outages during these times)
  • <Raised elsewhere - ignore> Network Map shows multiple DHCP clients as being "static" despite definitely being DHCP assigned (30-35 clients in list) - this appears to be the case at all times
Possible causes:-
  • Multiple DHCP servers? Possible, but unlikely. Investigated this using Wireshark and only the RT-AC5300 gets referenced (only ran test for a short period when no errors were occurring)
  • DHCP-assigned addresses "leftover" on the clients/switches from the previous router configuration - mmm... it's possible that has a knock-on (It's a nightmare to reboot *every* device in the house!)
Questions:
  • What am I missing?
  • Suggestions?
TIA
Kev

Context:
  • New RT-AC5300 for home use - Wireless router mode (not using AiMesh)
  • Virgin Media SuperHub 3 (350Mb/s down) in modem mode - dedicated WAN link to RT-AC5300
  • Gigabit-backbone (wired) network with 5 onward (Netgear) switches from RT-AC5300 LAN port
  • Numerous (10-15) wire-connected devices; PCs (Windows 7 and 10, Ubuntu), disk arrays (Thecus), TVs (Sony, Samsung), Dell Printer, SolidRun/Kodi boxes
  • Numerous wifi-connected devices; Sonos (12 nodes), phones/tablets, Google Home/Amazon Echoes
  • RT-AC5300 configured with default IP (192.168.1.1) - DHCP range configured for 1.100-1.254 - no IPV6 - 3 static IP nodes (1 desktop, 2 disk arrays) (all out of DHCP range)
  • Firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_20379

Last edited:
A common cause for "kernel: net_ratelimit: nnn callbacks suppressed" is an ethernet loop of some sort. I had similar issues with a faulty AV2000 (dual-connect EoP device) that would immediately cause such floods when a second cable was connected (and as bonus, may have been causing feedback through a dangling, unterminated coax cable to a MoCA run).

At the time, somebody asked if I had any Sonos devices; I didn't, so didn't follow up and don't know exactly what the issue may be.

Did you configure your static IP addrs on the router, rather than on the individual devices? I doubt that is your routing issue, but the router firmware won't maintain those addresses correctly; it can only reserve addresses within the DHCP range.

Thanks for the reply kab,

MoCA? Had to look that up! Oh boy, am I going to have nightmares about running coax tonight!

The static IPs are configured in the 'traditional' fashion - on the devices themselves. I'm not sure that I have yet seen a way to do this through the GUI.
Cheers,
Kev

MoCA? Had to look that up! Oh boy, am I going to have nightmares about running coax tonight!

I had removed a cable box from an old TV and left ~3m unterminated coax behind a bookcase: yes, it makes a great antenna! My ISP tracked massive noise spikes back to my house. ;(

As long as you terminate coax (connect to any device, or with a barrel connector if left disconnected), you will be fine.

Purchased AC5300 in May 2018. Having the same issue with Network Map/View List showing some of the clients as static when they are DHCP. I also use DHCP reservatons but those clients are correctly listed as 'manual'

Purchased and installed the RT-AC5300 yesterday. Everything ran fine yesterday, but numerous major issues today. Key items:-
  • Multiple "kernel: net_ratelimit: nnn callbacks suppressed" messages per hour in system log (major network outages during these times)
  • <Raised elsewhere - ignore> Network Map shows multiple DHCP clients as being "static" despite definitely being DHCP assigned (30-35 clients in list) - this appears to be the case at all times
Possible causes:-
  • Multiple DHCP servers? Possible, but unlikely. Investigated this using Wireshark and only the RT-AC5300 gets referenced (only ran test for a short period when no errors were occurring)
  • DHCP-assigned addresses "leftover" on the clients/switches from the previous router configuration - mmm... it's possible that has a knock-on (It's a nightmare to reboot *every* device in the house!)
Questions:
  • What am I missing?
  • Suggestions?
TIA
Kev

Just as general guidance - when replacing an Router/AP with another device, let the network settle a bit...

Do the basics - admin passwords/wireless passphrases - but leave the rest of the AP settings at defaults as the clients sort things out for a day or so - then one can tweak settings as needed with the new AP.

WiFi clients are a bit like kittens - they get distracted easily...

(yes, this is my little kitten recently adopted - Hanzo says "oh hai!")

hanzo_070718.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!